Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X3 (E83) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 09-10-2006, 05:59 AM
davipt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 163
davipt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G.
If you cannot find the cable bundle, you need to remove the bracket to gain access. This only takes about 15 minutes. The cable will be towards the back seats.
Do you have an idea if the cd-changer cable is always there, or if there's a chance that there's no cable at all?

I also don't see the cable on my middle console. I see the cable for bluetooth and the power cable for the cigarret lighter, but nothing else.


When you mean "remove bracket", do you have some detail photos of it? Is the cable under the carpet? I see some cables over a small hole on the back right of the console, but there's hardly space for a finger.


I have standard radio without dsp, navi pro but no tv, and bluetooth.
__________________
My BMW: Photos
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #42  
Old 09-10-2006, 12:24 PM
davidr's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 117
davidr is on a distinguished road
Check to see if you have a fuse for the CD-changer first - fuse 42. If this is present there's a good chance it's been wired with the CD-changer harness.

I searched for ages to find the harness plugs but only discovered them after removing the rear ash tray, unbolting the two nuts and screws at the back and the four top screws (two at front under gearstick gator / trim, two in middle at top near handbrake). Once you have all 6 screws and 2 nuts removed you should be able to lift the entire centre console enough (1 to 2 inches) to get under the rear metal bracket that supports a CD-changer. There you will find the foam wrap containing plugs, usually folded and pushed down almost under carpet directly below rear ash tray.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Tom G.'s Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 3,228
Tom G. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davipt
Do you have an idea if the cd-changer cable is always there, or if there's a chance that there's no cable at all?
The CD Changer cable is always there - all X3s are prewired for a CD Changer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davipt
When you mean "remove bracket", do you have some detail photos of it? Is the cable under the carpet? I see some cables over a small hole on the back right of the console, but there's hardly space for a finger.
Look to the left of the wiring bundle you have pictured - the cables are usually acessed through the center of the bracket, sometimes that bracket needs to be removed to gain access.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: [email protected] web: www.europeanautosource.com
tel 866.669.0705 | ca: 714.369.8524 x22 | fax: 714.908.1796


Twitter | Flikr | Facebook | YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-10-2006, 04:13 PM
davipt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 163
davipt is on a distinguished road
@davidr, tom g.: thanks for your comments. I will dissasemble the console then and look for more cables under the carpet I'll be back with photos of it in a couple of days.
__________________
My BMW: Photos
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-11-2006, 02:20 PM
davipt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 163
davipt is on a distinguished road
No good luck.
I've dissasembled enough of the console to put my fingers in every available hole and couldn't find any cable.

This is the cable runs through the center console, but it doesn't look like the cd changer. I've tried to pull it, but it was well fixed. The lower grey is the console pushed up and left. Do I need to also take out the stell support that is seen in the photo?


I've taken out those two hexagonal screws on the left, plus the two philips ones. Both the plastic and the big steel support came up enough. Do I also need to take the other steel support, the one with at least one interior-hexagonal-screw?


davidr: I saw no fuse 42. The numbers end around 28 or something And do you have any photos of the hidden cable ? I can't lift the carpet on the "right below the lighter" and there's no hole for fingers at all. Do I need to take the second support out?

I have a feeling that USA cars do come prepared, but not German cars that are configured individually. The cable is a separate part, according to the ETK, which then comes either from the front, from radio, in cases like mine, or from the back, for APM enabled cars.

I'll connect directly to the navi cable. I think I know the colour codes now
__________________
My BMW: Photos
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Tom G.'s Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 3,228
Tom G. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by theled
I have my center console out and I don't see of feel the bundle of cable for cd changer. Do I have to take out the center support bracket to locate and would the cable be in the direction of parking brake or direction of back seat? Can anyone help...........
It will be in the direction of the back seat - towards the rear ashtray. Some vehicles require the bracket to be removed in order to access the cables.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: [email protected] web: www.europeanautosource.com
tel 866.669.0705 | ca: 714.369.8524 x22 | fax: 714.908.1796


Twitter | Flikr | Facebook | YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-11-2006, 04:05 PM
davidr's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 117
davidr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davipt
No good luck.
I've dissasembled enough of the console to put my fingers in every available hole and couldn't find any cable.

This is the cable runs through the center console, but it doesn't look like the cd changer. I've tried to pull it, but it was well fixed. The lower grey is the console pushed up and left. Do I need to also take out the stell support that is seen in the photo?


I've taken out those two hexagonal screws on the left, plus the two philips ones. Both the plastic and the big steel support came up enough. Do I also need to take the other steel support, the one with at least one interior-hexagonal-screw?


davidr: I saw no fuse 42. The numbers end around 28 or something And do you have any photos of the hidden cable ? I can't lift the carpet on the "right below the lighter" and there's no hole for fingers at all. Do I need to take the second support out?

I have a feeling that USA cars do come prepared, but not German cars that are configured individually. The cable is a separate part, according to the ETK, which then comes either from the front, from radio, in cases like mine, or from the back, for APM enabled cars.

I'll connect directly to the navi cable. I think I know the colour codes now



Davipt - what model X3 do you have? Is it a 2.0i ?

I don't know about Germany but here in the UK all X3's come with prep for CD changers (even base 2.0i model).

I did this exact same thing last week on a 2005 model X3 2.0d Sport. Try working from the back, lift the entire console upwards to allow fingers underneath the X in the picture, you should feel foam.

Might be worth checking with a dealer if option 692 has been built into car (CD preparation) if you have no luck. Despite what Tom says, many European cars do NOT have all the options that US cars get (sadly)

David
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-11-2006, 04:19 PM
davidr's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 117
davidr is on a distinguished road
I neglected to take pictures when I re-installed my Icelink using Tom's harness. However, this picture above gives a good idea of what you're looking for.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Tom G.'s Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 3,228
Tom G. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr
Davipt - what model X3 do you have? Is it a 2.0i ?

I don't know about Germany but here in the UK all X3's come with prep for CD changers (even base 2.0i model).

I did this exact same thing last week on a 2005 model X3 2.0d Sport. Try working from the back, lift the entire console upwards to allow fingers underneath the X in the picture, you should feel foam.

Might be worth checking with a dealer if option 692 has been built into car (CD preparation) if you have no luck. Despite what Tom says, many European cars do NOT have all the options that US cars get (sadly)

David
Even if the vehicle not prewired for a CD Changer - we can get the iPod into the vehicle with a little help. We're done this on a few euro vehicles before, but it's not common.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: [email protected] web: www.europeanautosource.com
tel 866.669.0705 | ca: 714.369.8524 x22 | fax: 714.908.1796


Twitter | Flikr | Facebook | YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-13-2006, 03:05 PM
davipt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 163
davipt is on a distinguished road
Nope. Definitively not. After almost tearing apart the whole center console, I can assure that it is possible to get a X3 without the CD Changer cables

This is a photo taken from the front to the back, and from the right side. Those cables go on the right side. The big thing on top is one of the manual break cables. The white thing on top is the beginning of the foam of the carpet right behind the cigarret lighter.


Time to search for the cables on ebay

On the good side, I've connected the I-BUS kit to the back of the truck (got the right colour codes) and got a Python command line + library working in my Mac. More info in a new post soon.
__________________
My BMW: Photos

Last edited by davipt; 09-13-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.