Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:04 PM
tonycajjo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 688
tonycajjo is on a distinguished road
i'm gonna do this as well... plan on using WAZE so i'll need a wifi hotspot.

So is Joying the company that makes it? seems like this model has a higher screen resolution but the Eonon is selling that screen from only 275$.

Eonon Model D5166X 275$

joying model

in my experience the e53's always had bad reception, but i do listen to the radio so i will have to re-read this thread to see what is best.
__________________
focus!
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #32  
Old 12-22-2015, 05:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 24
RonVF is on a distinguished road
Hello all,
I just picked up a 2006 X5 3.0, non DSP, no nav vehicle for my wife.
1 owner car with 189,000 miles on her. Seems to run well and first thing I did was replace the coolant tank and radiator along with associated hoses.
Now I am looking to upgrade her stereo and install a remote starter.
I am reading thru this thread, which seems to me to be the best I've seen for my situation.
I now find myself torn be eonon 5166x or the Joying and probably leaning more toward the Joying due to it having higher screen resolution.
The only way I'll do any upgrade is if I am able to retain all original functions while adding addition ones like the backup camera and touch screen.
I see on the eonon web site that all functions will remain however I do not see that on the Joying site. Does anyone know if all features are retained?
Thoughts on what's the better unit?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-23-2015, 06:17 AM
fxslin's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Norway
Posts: 45
fxslin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonVF View Post
....
I now find myself torn be eonon 5166x or the Joying and probably leaning more toward the Joying due to it having higher screen resolution.
The only way I'll do any upgrade is if I am able to retain all original functions while adding addition ones like the backup camera and touch screen.
I see on the eonon web site that all functions will remain however I do not see that on the Joying site. Does anyone know if all features are retained?
Thoughts on what's the better unit?
Thanks
I have not been following the latest development on these products, I would make sure to pick the unit with highest screen resolution + latest CPU (quad core).

You should not have any issues with keeping the all features retained with any of these android unit, as long you wired things correctly up (you should get the correct cables from the unit provider, when you order them).
Since you have a non-DSP system like I have in my E53, the unit should be plug'n play install.
__________________
2002 BMW 3.0I E53 X5 Build date 2002-08-21
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 24
RonVF is on a distinguished road
Probably no Joying

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxslin View Post
I have not been following the latest development on these products, I would make sure to pick the unit with highest screen resolution + latest CPU (quad core).

You should not have any issues with keeping the all features retained with any of these android unit, as long you wired things correctly up (you should get the correct cables from the unit provider, when you order them).
Since you have a non-DSP system like I have in my E53, the unit should be plug'n play install.
I emailed Joying to ask about retaining the on board computer (obc) features and they tell me I will not retain them.
Do you have any of the obc features with the unit you installed? And if so which ones?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-12-2016, 10:53 PM
we350z's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,704
we350z is on a distinguished road
Hi - I just installed my Eonon GA5166F head unit on my 2000 X5 w/factory nav and Alpine non-DSP amp. I have everything working except the amp won't turn on. If I plug the original board monitor on it will turn even if I unplug the unit but then it turns off after a couple minutes.

What did you connect the blue & white AMP-CON wire from the Eonon harness to?? You said you used this to "turn on" the amp right?
__________________
Indy Shops:

Berkeley:
German Auto Sport

Phoenix:
Babbitt Motor Werks | Arizona Bimmer Motor Works

Reno:
Reno Rennsport

Rides:
00 BMW X5 4.4
93 Nissan 300ZXTT
88 Nissan 300ZXT Shiro #853
88 Nissan 300ZXT Shiro #773
84 Nissan 300ZXT 50th AE
78 Datsun 280Z Black Pearl
15 Yamaha WR250R
06 Yamaha R1 AE

Email:
WE350Z at gmail
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-13-2016, 09:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Australia
Posts: 127
Tomdownunder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by we350z View Post
Hi - I just installed my Eonon GA5166F head unit on my 2000 X5 w/factory nav and Alpine non-DSP amp. I have everything working except the amp won't turn on. If I plug the original board monitor on it will turn even if I unplug the unit but then it turns off after a couple minutes.

What did you connect the blue & white AMP-CON wire from the Eonon harness to?? You said you used this to "turn on" the amp right?
Can't recall re a blue and white wire, but there is a blue wire which says amp and another blue wire which says ant. Connect these two together to get good radio reception. As far as your third party amp goes, connect to the acc power wire (usually yellow)
__________________
2004 E53 diesel.
Titan silver on black
Sports package
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-13-2016, 11:11 PM
we350z's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,704
we350z is on a distinguished road
The blue/white wire labeled 'AMP-CON' should be the 12V switched power remote wire for an external AMP I think this is a pretty standard color but sometimes is brown on stereo head unit wiring harnesses.

The blue wire labeled 'ANT' should the 12V switched power remote wire for an external antenna

I don't think connecting them sounds advisable. I think either one should switch on the radio control unit or the amp when connected to the appropriate pin.

I suppose i could just try to wire the Radio Control Unit / AMP to a 12V ACC source in the rear but ideally they should turn on and off with the Eonon head unit.

First things first I'll just connect them to a 12V source with the head unit powered on to make sure they stay on.
__________________
Indy Shops:

Berkeley:
German Auto Sport

Phoenix:
Babbitt Motor Werks | Arizona Bimmer Motor Works

Reno:
Reno Rennsport

Rides:
00 BMW X5 4.4
93 Nissan 300ZXTT
88 Nissan 300ZXT Shiro #853
88 Nissan 300ZXT Shiro #773
84 Nissan 300ZXT 50th AE
78 Datsun 280Z Black Pearl
15 Yamaha WR250R
06 Yamaha R1 AE

Email:
WE350Z at gmail
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-14-2016, 05:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Australia
Posts: 127
Tomdownunder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by we350z View Post
The blue/white wire labeled 'AMP-CON' should be the 12V switched power remote wire for an external AMP I think this is a pretty standard color but sometimes is brown on stereo head unit wiring harnesses.

The blue wire labeled 'ANT' should the 12V switched power remote wire for an external antenna

I don't think connecting them sounds advisable. I think either one should switch on the radio control unit or the amp when connected to the appropriate pin.

I suppose i could just try to wire the Radio Control Unit / AMP to a 12V ACC source in the rear but ideally they should turn on and off with the Eonon head unit.

First things first I'll just connect them to a 12V source with the head unit powered on to make sure they stay on.
Like I said previously, not sure about blue and white. On mine there were two blue wires coming out of the back. There was also a blue wire on the antenna adapter. All three of these blue wires had a bullet type connector on them. The two from the back of the unit were a male and female connector. The supplier said to connect the blue one on the antenna adapter to the blue one from the unit which said ant. This didn't work for the radio and I found another post which said the other blue wire was for antenna amp so connecting the two coming out of the back of the unit together made the radio work as it amplified the antenna signal.

I don't have an external amp, so I can't really comment on power for that, but if it was me I would use a multi meter and see what wire becomes 12V+ after the unit is powered up and use that for an amp trigger wire (via a relay).
__________________
2004 E53 diesel.
Titan silver on black
Sports package
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-14-2016, 10:20 PM
we350z's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,704
we350z is on a distinguished road
Yep - I think I figured it out. Check out the last post on my other thread here which contains the wiring diagram of the Top Hi-Fi Alpine amp.

I will cross the bridge of FM reception when I get there. I am planning on using an external hidden antenna ($3 on eBay) mounted under the dash instead of running an extension all the way to the rear of the vehicle. If the reception is poor I will try connect the blue/white AMP-CON, ANT to both the external antenna and the AMP switched 12V ACC remote lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdownunder View Post
Like I said previously, not sure about blue and white. On mine there were two blue wires coming out of the back. There was also a blue wire on the antenna adapter. All three of these blue wires had a bullet type connector on them. The two from the back of the unit were a male and female connector. The supplier said to connect the blue one on the antenna adapter to the blue one from the unit which said ant. This didn't work for the radio and I found another post which said the other blue wire was for antenna amp so connecting the two coming out of the back of the unit together made the radio work as it amplified the antenna signal.

I don't have an external amp, so I can't really comment on power for that, but if it was me I would use a multi meter and see what wire becomes 12V+ after the unit is powered up and use that for an amp trigger wire (via a relay).
__________________
Indy Shops:

Berkeley:
German Auto Sport

Phoenix:
Babbitt Motor Werks | Arizona Bimmer Motor Works

Reno:
Reno Rennsport

Rides:
00 BMW X5 4.4
93 Nissan 300ZXTT
88 Nissan 300ZXT Shiro #853
88 Nissan 300ZXT Shiro #773
84 Nissan 300ZXT 50th AE
78 Datsun 280Z Black Pearl
15 Yamaha WR250R
06 Yamaha R1 AE

Email:
WE350Z at gmail
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-15-2016, 10:00 AM
Lowblock's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 222
Lowblock is on a distinguished road
Does this have a direct Ipod connection you can use or is it all BT? Could you get screen shots of the Ipod connected direct if you can? I'm a little confused about the wifi, does it connect to the internet on its own picking up open wifi signals, or does it pull from your phone? Between the android unit and the wince unit, it seems the android one is a more powerful unit, is the navigation permanently installed on the unit, or again does it pull from the phone? Can you install google maps on the unit for example?

Also, does this unit, or anything they have work with cars with DSP sound?

Last edited by Lowblock; 01-15-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
eonon, ga5166, head unit, navigation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:00 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.