Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Helihover's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 627
Helihover is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
I'll be more concern with accidentally splicing into a can bus wire. Wife wants a remote start for her car, buy her a Ford.
Chevys do too. My neighbors have a new escalade with 24" rims!!!!!. It has remote start and an exhaust..... I hear it cold idling all the time. Lol.

And this is factory. It's like we're breeding in ignorance.

OP if you go forward with this, please post the results for others to view. This could really help someone in the future.
__________________
2001 E53 4.4 Alpine White, Sports Package
2000 E36/7 2.8 5 speed Bright Red w/ a HT!
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #12  
Old 01-20-2016, 01:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 2,094
X53Jay4.8is is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Theres a reason there is no threads or DIY on remote start - our X5's are sensitive enough electronics I wouldnt be hacking more crap into it with a remote start, and especially not DIY'ing it.

Buy a house with a garage or be a good husband and go start it for her a few mins before she leaves if you want to warm it up.
You are so right that remote start is not a good idea for these cars.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-20-2016, 01:52 PM
bcredliner's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Elm,Texas. (40 minutes North of Dallas)
Posts: 7,544
bcredliner is on a distinguished road
It is true that the electronics are sensitive but many have successfully made modifications involving electronics. I don't recall a DIY either. You may find something with a general search.

I wouldn't be concerned about letting the engine idle as long as the vehicle is driven a fair distance afterward. I assume the goal is to have the vehicle comfortable at the git go. I can appreciate that having grown up facing Michigan winters from the shore of Lake Michigan and now facing Texas summers. No need to be concerned about temperatures of other components as they would normally be the same without a remote start.

I think the best route would be to have a pro do the install but the wiring is detailed in the Bentley manual to help if you have some experience doing electrical stuff.

The following was installed on a newer BMW that has more sophisticated electronics so my bet is it something that would more easily be done on E53s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCMTDVR3bks
__________________
X5 4.6 2002 Black Sap, Black interior. 2013 X5M Melbourne Red, Bamboo interior
Dallas
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Helihover's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 627
Helihover is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
It is true that the electronics are sensitive but many have successfully made modifications involving electronics. I don't recall a DIY either. You may find something with a general search.

I wouldn't be concerned about letting the engine idle as long as the vehicle is driven a fair distance afterward. I assume the goal is to have the vehicle comfortable at the git go. I can appreciate that having grown up facing Michigan winters from the shore of Lake Michigan and now facing Texas summers. No need to be concerned about temperatures of other components as they would normally be the same without a remote start.

I think the best route would be to have a pro do the install but the wiring is detailed in the Bentley manual to help if you have some experience doing electrical stuff.

The following was installed on a newer BMW that has more sophisticated electronics so my bet is it something that would more easily be done on E53s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCMTDVR3bks
The whole point of not idling the engine cold is the time it takes to get warm. Has nothing to do with how far you drive afterwards. If you get in your vehicle and drive it cold, the engine will come up to temp way faster than it would idling.
__________________
2001 E53 4.4 Alpine White, Sports Package
2000 E36/7 2.8 5 speed Bright Red w/ a HT!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-20-2016, 04:19 PM
bcredliner's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Elm,Texas. (40 minutes North of Dallas)
Posts: 7,544
bcredliner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helihover View Post
The whole point of not idling the engine cold is the time it takes to get warm. Has nothing to do with how far you drive afterwards. If you get in your vehicle and drive it cold, the engine will come up to temp way faster than it would idling.

Yes, the engine will warm up faster depending on the RPMs and load. OP doesn't care and it has nothing to do with the goal.

And it does have something to do with how far you drive and/or driving at higher RPMs as it will be an offset to any harm from idling. Idling for an extended period of time is certainly not a critical issue.

The point of OPs thread has nothing to do with how fast the vehicle warms up. It is about adding the benefit of a remote start so that it is comfortable when his wife gets in. I think this falls under happy wife is a happy life so if a remote start is what his wife wants than we should be helping him get it done.
__________________
X5 4.6 2002 Black Sap, Black interior. 2013 X5M Melbourne Red, Bamboo interior
Dallas
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-20-2016, 04:35 PM
Helihover's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 627
Helihover is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
Yes, the engine will warm up faster depending on the RPMs and load. OP doesn't care and it has nothing to do with the goal.

And it does have something to do with how far you drive and/or driving at higher RPMs as it will be an offset to any harm from idling. Idling for an extended period of time is certainly not a critical issue.

The point of OPs thread has nothing to do with how fast the vehicle warms up. It is about adding the benefit of a remote start so that it is comfortable when his wife gets in. I think this falls under happy wife is a happy life so if a remote start is what his wife wants than we should be helping him get it done.
I believe your misunderstanding.

I'm talking only about how long it takes to warm an engine.

A- drive it. The engine will warm faster. This is recommended by the manufacturer l.

B- idle it. The engine will not warm as fast as driving it. Not recommended by the manufacturer.

How does the drive after effect A or B?

Honestly I could care less about what the OP does with his car. I'm simply stating facts and asking questions of his knowledge. How can one attemp this project not knowing what an EWS is? I'm also super courious as to the outcome as I have some super cool ideas of my own which include ditching the key, but keeping the EWS active.
__________________
2001 E53 4.4 Alpine White, Sports Package
2000 E36/7 2.8 5 speed Bright Red w/ a HT!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-20-2016, 04:42 PM
bcredliner's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Elm,Texas. (40 minutes North of Dallas)
Posts: 7,544
bcredliner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helihover View Post
I believe your misunderstanding.

I'm talking only about how long it takes to warm an engine.

A- drive it. The engine will warm faster. This is recommended by the manufacturer l.

B- idle it. The engine will not warm as fast as driving it. Not recommended by the manufacturer.

How does the drive after effect A or B?

Honestly I could care less about what the OP does with his car. I'm simply stating facts and asking questions of his knowledge. How can one attemp this project not knowing what an EWS is? I'm also super courious as to the outcome as I have some super cool ideas of my own which include ditching the key, but keeping the EWS active.
I understand perfectly. Suggest you read my post more carefully.

If you couldn't care less about what OP does, and thus far you have demonstrated just that, I see no reason why you are bothering to post anything at all. Though, if you are curious because it relates to something you would like to do seems to me it would certainly be a super cool idea to be helpful. Let me give you a suggestion something helpful rather than judgmental: http://www.e38.org/EWS.pdf

Based on your input thus far, if it were me, I wouldn't be the one to satisfy your curiosity.
__________________
X5 4.6 2002 Black Sap, Black interior. 2013 X5M Melbourne Red, Bamboo interior
Dallas

Last edited by bcredliner; 01-20-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Helihover's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 627
Helihover is on a distinguished road
Great response BC as usual

Care to answer my question instead of repeating what I said?

How does the drive after a start, effect how the car was started? Instead of telling me to read your post again, just answer the question.
__________________
2001 E53 4.4 Alpine White, Sports Package
2000 E36/7 2.8 5 speed Bright Red w/ a HT!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:20 PM
bcredliner's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Elm,Texas. (40 minutes North of Dallas)
Posts: 7,544
bcredliner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helihover View Post
Great response BC as usual

Care to answer my question instead of repeating what I said?

How does the drive after a start, effect how the car was started? Instead of telling me to read your post again, just answer the question.

The reason I suggested you read my post more carefully is that the very first sentence acknowledges that you are correct concerning a faster way to warm up an engine is driving rather than sitting idling. The only remotely repetition of what you said is just that. My first comment was agreeing with you. Responding directly--the drive after does not effect how the car was started.

Idling an engine can accumulate contaminates such as carbon deposits, not good for an engine. Assuming that has taken place, driving at highway speeds should burn them off, offseting any potential issue from idling the engine for an extended period of time. That is an entirely different and separate topic.

On the other hand, if I was in Winnipeg when it is -30F sitting with the engine at idle or at 2500 might be the faster way to warm up the engine. I do know I would be asking how to install a remote start and expect coming here would be the best place to get help.
__________________
X5 4.6 2002 Black Sap, Black interior. 2013 X5M Melbourne Red, Bamboo interior
Dallas

Last edited by bcredliner; 01-20-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-15-2021, 01:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Calgary
Posts: 364
Bmwe5320023.0 is on a distinguished road
Lol what's going on with all this arguing
People saying remote starter is bad, come on lol
Remote starter will be excellent, especially for me with -40 Celsius and colder in the winter. I want to get into a warm car

So here we go. I deleted EWS, no need for it.

Just trying to figure out some wiring stuff



I need to identify the wires on the ignition switch.
Total 11 pins

Any help is welcome

Pin 1 - empty on 6 cylinder, which is the case for me.

Pin 2 purple black wire - accessories? On the diagram goes to pin 5 of connector X10459. I couldn't find pinout for connector X10459. What is pin 5?

Pin 3 - empty
Pin 4 - empty

Pin 5 red wire - constant 12 v power fuse 105
(80A) Immobilizer, ignition switch-4,4/4,6 (^02/02)

Pin 6 red wire - constant 12 v power fuse 106
(50A) Ignition switch, lamps control module

Pin 7 red and white wire - Fuse F3
What is fuse f3?
5 amps →02.2001: Output Stage - Rear Compartment Blower
7.5 amps 03.2001→: Ignition Switch
Well my car is 2002. Not sure what does ignition switch mean here?
Is this another 12 volt constant power or what?

Pin 8 black and yellow wire - DME and EWS. Pretty sure it goes to starter

Pin 9 green wire - goes into fusebox. Not sure what if is. Maybe ignition?



Pin 10 purple and white - output stage, which I guess means the resistor for the rear blower. Not sure why it goes to the ignition but it does.

Pin 11 not used.

Feel free to jump in
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:48 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.