Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 11-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 433
OptimusPriM5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
I did the fluid maintenance a few years ago. I re-used the bolts.
Not sure why BMW said it is TTY bolt.
When looking at the bolts, they are big like wheel lugs and they looked just fine w/o any stretch marks typically seen in TTY bolts (such as head gasket bolts).

BTW, there are some repair manuals (on certain car models) that say replace the wheel lugs when changing tire. I just laugh at it.

Just relax, Saturday mechanics don't fix car for a living, so they follow the Bible to the "t". BMW mechanics tell me they re-use the bolts.

I posted the DIY below. The key thing is "relax", don't lose sleep over this TTY thingy, it is an overkill when it comes to these 6 bolts:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...se-fluids.html
Yeah and charge for new ones
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #32  
Old 11-21-2016, 01:09 PM
bcredliner's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Elm,Texas. (40 minutes North of Dallas)
Posts: 8,108
bcredliner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
I did the fluid maintenance a few years ago. I re-used the bolts.
Not sure why BMW said it is TTY bolt.
When looking at the bolts, they are big like wheel lugs and they looked just fine w/o any stretch marks typically seen in TTY bolts (such as head gasket bolts).

BTW, there are some repair manuals (on certain car models) that say replace the wheel lugs when changing tire. I just laugh at it.

Just relax, Saturday mechanics don't fix car for a living, so they follow the Bible to the "t". BMW mechanics tell me they re-use the bolts.

I posted the DIY below. The key thing is "relax", don't lose sleep over this TTY thingy, it is an overkill when it comes to these 6 bolts:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...se-fluids.html
As mentioned there are two camps on this issue. IMO there is no logic for a difference of opinion and it is primarily based on the cost of the nuts/bolts compared to the 'normal' cost of bolts.

One camp, not being BMW trained mechanics or engineers whose degree had any focus on this type of issue, and, even if so, don't have the BMW engineering rationale to evaluate before making a decision, or are shade tree engineers/mechanics, or base it on their experience, conclude the BMW statement is incorrect. And the other camp.

Opinions are great but I think they should be worded as such rather than as declarative statements that imply technical expertise or that a reader is ignorant for following the BMW authored technical manual.

This is not defensive or being contrary to other opinions, I think it needs to be said every once in awhile. Best practice always follows the facts.
__________________
X5 4.6 2002 Black Sap, Black interior. 2013 X5M Melbourne Red, Bamboo interior
Dallas

Last edited by bcredliner; 11-21-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Lamby's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London
Posts: 173
Lamby is on a distinguished road
As bcredliner has put it there are two camps.

I am fence sitter... I bought the new bolts from BMW Parts (Well ordered them) only to remove the Protection Shield (CAREFUL IT IS HEAVY!) and proceed with maintenance, once complete I was left with no option but to reinstall the old bolts due to BMW not getting the parts in time.

Truth is, I know what torsion strengths are and I am pretty well educated in material science as my job requires this knowledge on as we work in developing new materials to aid technology development.

Simply, yes the boys at BMW know there stuff. They will have understood a wide/varied number of factors for these bolts and then decided that once removed, the deformation of the internal shaft that has been subjected to internal torque - would then change the materials torsion threshold via a set formula and then not meet the varied number of factors stated in the initial specification requirement. Hence replace.

Now.. I do not know the 'Coca-Cola Recipe' for BMW engineers factors. Also I believe the margin of tolerance built in to withstand temperatures -26c and the heat of the desert +45c well exceeds my needs of -5c to (maybe) +30c driving around London on the school run in the rain.

So, in conclusion. I reused the bolts. My requirements mean that the formula BMW engineers used far exceeds my use needs and I am not thinking about using the family wagon in the Dakar rally any time soon. So I will be fine.

IMHO, I will be fine with them. But... this is my disclaimer, refit at your own risk. I did.
__________________
BMW X5 E53 3.0 Diesel Sport | Sapphire Black Dakota Beige Leather interior | Year 2004

What I had updated
Carbon Effect Steering Wheel
Panoramic Sunroof Fix
PVC Replacement
All glowplugs and glowplug regulator
New discs and pads all round
All new front suspension links, bushes and rods
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-22-2016, 11:42 AM
luvmy03E53's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 459
luvmy03E53 is on a distinguished road
I truly appreciate all the great feedback! This is exactly why I'm a member here. Such great information and dialogue, which I'd never get from folks outside this forum.

I'll be working to fix my PS leak over the weekend, then probably removing the stiffening plate to inspect for oil leaks the following weekend. I'll update this thread with my findings as the work progresses.
__________________

2003 E53 3.0i
DOB 10/15/2002
Sienna red, Savannah Beige Dakota leather
Type FA53, Engine M54B30

2018 G02 30i
DOB 4/21/18
Black Sapphire Metallic / Canberra Beige Vermasca leather
Engine B46O
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-06-2016, 10:40 PM
blktoptrvl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Various
Posts: 1,232
blktoptrvl is on a distinguished road
Question:

I may be replacing my PS reservoir hoses soon - or at least replacing the clamps. I have not looked under the car yet to see if I can replace the clamps/hoses without dropping the plate.

Can these hoses be replaced without dropping the plate?
If the plate has to be dropped, can it be unbolted at the front, but left dangling (sitting on a jack) at the front and loosened at the rear? I ask because I am a one man show and will not have access to assistance.
__________________
2006 X5 Sport 4.4i
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-06-2016, 10:59 PM
wpoll's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Posts: 4,691
wpoll will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Question:

I may be replacing my PS reservoir hoses soon - or at least replacing the clamps. I have not looked under the car yet to see if I can replace the clamps/hoses without dropping the plate.

Can these hoses be replaced without dropping the plate?
If the plate has to be dropped, can it be unbolted at the front, but left dangling (sitting on a jack) at the front and loosened at the rear? I ask because I am a one man show and will not have access to assistance.
You can remove the entire plate on your own - it's tricky holding the nuts on the top of the plate while you loosen/tighten the bolt from underneath but it can be done.

Getting someone to hold the ring spanner on the top-side nuts makes a great difference though and they won't even get dirty hands. A wife/gf/partner/child can do it - dogs not so much.
__________________
Wayne
2005 BMW X5 3.0d (b 02/05)
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar (b 06/01)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-06-2016, 11:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,621
cn90 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Question:

I may be replacing my PS reservoir hoses soon - or at least replacing the clamps. I have not looked under the car yet to see if I can replace the clamps/hoses without dropping the plate.

Can these hoses be replaced without dropping the plate?
If the plate has to be dropped, can it be unbolted at the front, but left dangling (sitting on a jack) at the front and loosened at the rear? I ask because I am a one man show and will not have access to assistance.
I had a leak from the PS low-pressure Hose where it meets the PS Pump.

I tightened the clamp a bit: This stopped the leak.

No need to drop the stiffening plate. All I did was:
- Remove the plastic shield. I posted photos in forum as there are 3-4 types of screws. Search for the photo (it is in the partial cooling overhaul thread).
- If you need more space, then drive the front up the wood ramps.
__________________
1998 E39 528i 5sp MT
2006 E53 X5 3.0 6sp MT
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-06-2016, 11:53 PM
blktoptrvl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Various
Posts: 1,232
blktoptrvl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
I had a leak from the PS low-pressure Hose where it meets the PS Pump.

I tightened the clamp a bit: This stopped the leak.

No need to drop the stiffening plate. All I did was:
- Remove the plastic shield. I posted photos in forum as there are 3-4 types of screws. Search for the photo (it is in the partial cooling overhaul thread).
- If you need more space, then drive the front up the wood ramps.
Thanks. If you "tightened the clamp", I assume that means it is a worm gear clamp and not a crimp clamp?

Edit: Scratch that, I have to assume that BMW didn't put worm gear clamps anywhere. So, that leaves me with a crimp clamp to replace?
__________________
2006 X5 Sport 4.4i
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-07-2016, 10:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 2,094
X53Jay4.8is is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy03E53 View Post
I truly appreciate all the great feedback! This is exactly why I'm a member here. Such great information and dialogue, which I'd never get from folks outside this forum.

I'll be working to fix my PS leak over the weekend, then probably removing the stiffening plate to inspect for oil leaks the following weekend. I'll update this thread with my findings as the work progresses.
So I am going to offer my opinion here on the stiffening plate removal/reinstallation. I have removed this plate and reinstalled it on 4 occasions using the same bolts and nuts. Once when I did the timing chain/guides and seals, another when I did the motor mounts, another when I did the sway bar upgrade and one other occasion that escapes my memory. In all cases there have been no ill effects in the reusing of the bolts and nuts. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sweden
Posts: 188
jontezan is on a distinguished road
Correct me if wrong, but there are two types of stiffening plates. One heavy one in steel, and the one that i have in aluminum. The later one doesnt weight much at all, easy to support and get the bolts back in 😄


Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.