Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Bimmer Tool Rental
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-02-2017, 02:39 AM
PropellerHead's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the wheel of a Bimmer
Posts: 1,392
PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
The E53 taxman cometh

I really did think I was done for awhile. But I mean, we all kinda know, don't we?

The replacement transmission has been running like a dream since last winter. We drove the absolute wheels off the thing this summer during another 3,000 mile road trip. Dammit. It's sh!t like running through the Interstate hills of West Virginia tailing a sedan that just canNOT shake the E53 that make it soooo hard to put away. When you shame the sedan on the next down hill grade with the ridiculous 6 pot brakes you installed, well. The thing might as well be a mistress.

And so it is. November is that time before our Winter road trip where I like to take 'er in for a lil look see. Hell, it's been 10 months! Of course, that was a bill that committed me to the E53 for another year at least. This one? Yeah. I'm in till my daughter takes it over.
  • It wasn't till I changed the oil last time that I smelled burnt oil on some occasion. You know how it is... You think.. Whoa! Wassat me? Like an old guy at a party. Turns out, yeah it was.
  • The head gaskets are blowing shit all over the place. So, they should be replaced. Since I leave in less than a week, they should be replaced now.
But here's why I like the guy I've been working with for a long, long time. He says, "Look. Yer at 114k. I *know* you wanna be the only N62 on the planet who has changed oil on the old school program and maintained everything to hell and back. And then you can be the guy who says, 'Not *my* N62!' But yer not. When these seals go next year, I'll have to rip out these head gaskets. Tell ya what: If you wanna do the seals while I do this, I'll do it for $2k more than the head gaskets alone."
  • N62 seals replaced at that price? Done.
But you know how it goes.
  • I need some ginormous rear tires. That alone will drain the best maintenance funds.
And then there's the pledge I made after last year's flat on the Interstate.
  • Last year on our Winter trip, I actually sliced a brand new 315 on road debris. And by brand new, I mean like, less than a WEEK! And guess what? I thought I was being all smart by transferring a 17" spare. But then I got ginormous brakes.

    So the spare wheel and the rear caliper were just close enough to each other that I needed a tow. And a new tire. And a larger spare. That would fit in the rear. We all know I got lucky not having a major issue over this Summer's trip. I wasn't going to risk it again.
  • So, they found an 18" wheel lying around that would clear the fronts and rears. It's not pretty, but it'll work. And, I need a tire.
Oh, and when I changed the oil, I think I saw coolant. Could ya... Yeah. Expansion tank.

And then there's just me being silly:
  • If it's a wear item and you have to unbolt it to get to what you're working on, replace it with a new one. Hoses. Belts. Pulleys. Fluids. Whatever. We did this in 2011, and we're doing it again. Cause, really... WTF is a grand in parts when you're up to your ass already?
I'm pretty sure that I will have dropped more from the maintenance fund- and lets face it, I drained that in Jan. I'm tapping the 2002 restoration fund now. Anyway, I will have dropped more this year than I spent on this thing after selling my '04 in 2011.

And you know what? The E53 deserves it.

At least mine does. There isn't a $12k car on the planet that I would drive coast to coast with my girls, have as much fun, hold as much stuff, and *still* look *that* good. Keep rollin, friends. We've memories to be made!
__________________
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 12-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Dking078's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 168
Dking078 is on a distinguished road
The story of the blue beast continues! Glad to hear it's still getting the love it got since day one .

Still one of the best low mile deals from way back when.
__________________
2008 BMW 550i [Black / Black]
2004 BMW X5 4.8is [Black / Black]
2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
[Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-tone Interior]


WTB: E53 LCI Sport Steering wheel & BSW Stage 1 kit for DSP models[Click]
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2017, 01:17 PM
Dblock2151's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 1,050
Dblock2151 is on a distinguished road
We are both similar in a lot of ways, my mechanic always gives me the "look" when I tell him to replace hoses and wear and tear items "while he's in there". It just helps me sleep better at night. There's been too many times on past vehicles where an issue arises and then it has to be taken apart again to replace a $12 part, and pay 6 hours of labor to do it.

I will be joining you on your BBK journey, just purchased a Stoptech ST40 for the front at half off through Stoptech, the rear ST22 are available as well, but they don't have matching colors for front and rear and my OCD will drive me crazy
__________________
2002 Topaz Blue X5 3.0i
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 34
twinspool is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblock2151 View Post
We are both similar in a lot of ways, my mechanic always gives me the "look" when I tell him to replace hoses and wear and tear items "while he's in there". It just helps me sleep better at night. There's been too many times on past vehicles where an issue arises and then it has to be taken apart again to replace a $12 part, and pay 6 hours of labor to do it.

I will be joining you on your BBK journey, just purchased a Stoptech ST40 for the front at half off through Stoptech, the rear ST22 are available as well, but they don't have matching colors for front and rear and my OCD will drive me crazy
at half off, I would purchase the rear and just have both sets powder coated to a matching color. still in the black..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2017, 05:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 1,962
X53Jay4.8is is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
I really did think I was done for awhile. But I mean, we all kinda know, don't we?

The replacement transmission has been running like a dream since last winter. We drove the absolute wheels off the thing this summer during another 3,000 mile road trip. Dammit. It's sh!t like running through the Interstate hills of West Virginia tailing a sedan that just canNOT shake the E53 that make it soooo hard to put away. When you shame the sedan on the next down hill grade with the ridiculous 6 pot brakes you installed, well. The thing might as well be a mistress.

And so it is. November is that time before our Winter road trip where I like to take 'er in for a lil look see. Hell, it's been 10 months! Of course, that was a bill that committed me to the E53 for another year at least. This one? Yeah. I'm in till my daughter takes it over.
  • It wasn't till I changed the oil last time that I smelled burnt oil on some occasion. You know how it is... You think.. Whoa! Wassat me? Like an old guy at a party. Turns out, yeah it was.
  • The head gaskets are blowing shit all over the place. So, they should be replaced. Since I leave in less than a week, they should be replaced now.
But here's why I like the guy I've been working with for a long, long time. He says, "Look. Yer at 114k. I *know* you wanna be the only N62 on the planet who has changed oil on the old school program and maintained everything to hell and back. And then you can be the guy who says, 'Not *my* N62!' But yer not. When these seals go next year, I'll have to rip out these head gaskets. Tell ya what: If you wanna do the seals while I do this, I'll do it for $2k more than the head gaskets alone."
  • N62 seals replaced at that price? Done.
But you know how it goes.
  • I need some ginormous rear tires. That alone will drain the best maintenance funds.
And then there's the pledge I made after last year's flat on the Interstate.
  • Last year on our Winter trip, I actually sliced a brand new 315 on road debris. And by brand new, I mean like, less than a WEEK! And guess what? I thought I was being all smart by transferring a 17" spare. But then I got ginormous brakes.

    So the spare wheel and the rear caliper were just close enough to each other that I needed a tow. And a new tire. And a larger spare. That would fit in the rear. We all know I got lucky not having a major issue over this Summer's trip. I wasn't going to risk it again.
  • So, they found an 18" wheel lying around that would clear the fronts and rears. It's not pretty, but it'll work. And, I need a tire.
Oh, and when I changed the oil, I think I saw coolant. Could ya... Yeah. Expansion tank.

And then there's just me being silly:
  • If it's a wear item and you have to unbolt it to get to what you're working on, replace it with a new one. Hoses. Belts. Pulleys. Fluids. Whatever. We did this in 2011, and we're doing it again. Cause, really... WTF is a grand in parts when you're up to your ass already?
I'm pretty sure that I will have dropped more from the maintenance fund- and lets face it, I drained that in Jan. I'm tapping the 2002 restoration fund now. Anyway, I will have dropped more this year than I spent on this thing after selling my '04 in 2011.

And you know what? The E53 deserves it.

At least mine does. There isn't a $12k car on the planet that I would drive coast to coast with my girls, have as much fun, hold as much stuff, and *still* look *that* good. Keep rollin, friends. We've memories to be made!
Head gaskets at 114K Ouch!!!! Seems premature???? Of course if you have to get the valve seals done then of course the head gaskets are going to have to be changed.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2017, 04:37 PM
PropellerHead's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the wheel of a Bimmer
Posts: 1,392
PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by X53Jay4.8is View Post
Head gaskets at 114K Ouch!!!! Seems premature???? Of course if you have to get the valve seals done then of course the head gaskets are going to have to be changed.
I know, I know.. In my case of course, if I am going to get the gaskets changed, I might as well get the seals done.

Aaaand I went a lil *more* nuts since I first posted.

I decided to do the intermediate levers while there. Not cheap parts, but I have had rough idle on cold mornings for awhile. In fact, this makes me wonder if that's why the valve lift was set so high when I bought it. This change to valve lift was *supposed* to be a temporary fix for lumpy levers in certain circles.

And I decided that this was a great time to install the AGA coolant pipe, valley pan and gaskets. Might as well since the damn thing is right there. Pricey lil thing, but it sure is pretty!

Then, they saw the smallest bit of grease from the front boots. That's a rounding error at this point.

Below that is a pic of 114k miles with old school synthetic oil changes. I think it looks pretty good!
Attached Images
  
__________________

Last edited by PropellerHead; 12-06-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2017, 01:09 AM
jopecasa's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 449
jopecasa is on a distinguished road
a lil deeper.........chain guides?
__________________
01 E39 530i - SOLD !
05 E53 4.8is


Pics of Bianca (E39) and Betsy (E53)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2017, 09:31 AM
PropellerHead's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the wheel of a Bimmer
Posts: 1,392
PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopecasa View Post
a lil deeper.........chain guides?
N62's aren't quite the trouble with chain guides as the M62tu. The big failure on this head is intermediate levers. I do kind of hope that my occasional cold morning lumpy idle and the other low RPM maladies I've experienced will go away as a result of the change.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Virigina, USA
Posts: 1,754
StephenVA is on a distinguished road
Great time to wash that dirty engine bay! You have to keep my twin clean....
__________________

2005 X5 4.8IS
The Blue ones are always FASTER....

Current Garage:
2002 M5 TiSi
2003 525iT
1998 528i
Former Garage Stable Highlights
2004 325XiT Sport
1973 De Tomaso Pantera, L Model
1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 4 sp Alpine White
1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 4 sp GoManGo Green
1971 Dart Sport, “Dart Light” package
1969 Road Runner 383
1968 Ply Barracuda 340S FB Sea-foam Green
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 2,376
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Death and taxes my friend... death and taxes.

I love your truck. And your attitude towards the maintenance of her. These things develop their own personalities and almost become a part of the family when being used as family haul vehicles.

Mine has been semi-retired as a family vehicle since getting the x35d for the wife, which we both enjoy the extra size of. But I still enjoy driving mine every time I get in it. I only fill it up once every 40 or 50 days now according to Fuel Log so the mileage is not accumulating nearly as fast as it once did. In fact, I'm at almost identical mileage to yours now... 114k+ so I'm sure I will have a nice amount of maintenance to do in the next 12 months.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.