Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Bimmer Tool Rental
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:23 PM
Overboost's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 311
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Kidney Grill Advise

I am wanting to change out my chrome framed kidney grills to black on my Jet Black E53. So my question for advise is matte black or gloss black?

I checked ECS Tuning and FCP Euro and neither have black face lift kidneys. Any other vendor I should check?

There are plenty of black E53 Chinese grills on fleaBay. I know the fitment is not recommended for the E46, does anyone have experience with these on their X5? TIA

I know this shot is a pre face lift model but I just kinda like the look.

__________________
The older I get, the faster I was...
No Fear

  • 2004 e53 X5 3.0 ZSP (4/04 build date) Jet Black exterior/Sand Beige interior
  • 2002 e46 325i ZPP (2/02 build date) Alpine White exterior/Hell Beige interior

Last edited by Overboost; 12-06-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:11 AM
BigBody's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: nyc
Posts: 34
BigBody is on a distinguished road
Have you considered plasti-dip? Cheap, easy, looks great, and matches the oem finish of the bumper. No need to destroy the clips on the old grills either..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:15 AM
Overboost's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 311
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBody View Post
Have you considered plasti-dip? Cheap, easy, looks great, and matches the oem finish of the bumper. No need to destroy the clips on the old grills either..
No I hadn't thought of that. I ordered a set off fleaBay for $45 and if they don't fit to my standards, I might give that a try. Thank you for your input!
__________________
The older I get, the faster I was...
No Fear

  • 2004 e53 X5 3.0 ZSP (4/04 build date) Jet Black exterior/Sand Beige interior
  • 2002 e46 325i ZPP (2/02 build date) Alpine White exterior/Hell Beige interior
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:20 AM
BigBody's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: nyc
Posts: 34
BigBody is on a distinguished road
Here's some food for thought.. hope it helps!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2017, 01:38 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 991
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
One of my grills fell out (or maybe stolen). I bought a set of some of the higher priced eBay set and I got matte and I'm happy with them. They aren't perfect fit but you have to look to find seam gap. (And look a hell of a lot better than a missing grill!)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2017, 03:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 4
Bimdabomb is on a distinguished road
You can check this website as well

https://www.schmiedmann.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 AM
Overboost's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 311
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
One of my grills fell out (or maybe stolen). I bought a set of some of the higher priced eBay set and I got matte and I'm happy with them. They aren't perfect fit but you have to look to find seam gap. (And look a hell of a lot better than a missing grill!)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks! I'm gonna try those and see how the fitment is. I have paint matched aftermarket kidneys on my E46 and they don't fit perfect either but they have been fine for 13 years.
Attached Images
 
__________________
The older I get, the faster I was...
No Fear

  • 2004 e53 X5 3.0 ZSP (4/04 build date) Jet Black exterior/Sand Beige interior
  • 2002 e46 325i ZPP (2/02 build date) Alpine White exterior/Hell Beige interior
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 2,376
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
The fitment on the face lift e53 grilles I ran was fine around the edges, but I did use silicon in key places as an extra to hold them in. The grille slats were cheap though. They were the 6 series style grille though as that was the only gloss offering at the time when I purchased them. Now I believe they have OEM e53 style available in both gloss and matte.

Right now I am rocking plasti-dipped OEM grilles with glossifier. They look good, but I'd prefer gloss OEM style grilles. Keep us updated as I might purchase another after market set if they are worth it.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:24 AM
dkl's Avatar
dkl dkl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 2,706
dkl is on a distinguished road
I've been searching for a set for years and still couldn't find anything to date - not sure why no one is making the facelift grille Most of the clips on mine are so brittle that it would come apart at anytime - a couple of them already disappeared. Please update us on how those replacement work out? Thanks.
__________________
2004 X5 3.0i
Born 02/04
Delivered 03/04
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Overboost's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 311
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
The fitment on the face lift e53 grilles I ran was fine around the edges, but I did use silicon in key places as an extra to hold them in. The grille slats were cheap though. They were the 6 series style grille though as that was the only gloss offering at the time when I purchased them. Now I believe they have OEM e53 style available in both gloss and matte.

Right now I am rocking plasti-dipped OEM grilles with glossifier. They look good, but I'd prefer gloss OEM style grilles. Keep us updated as I might purchase another after market set if they are worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl View Post
I've been searching for a set for years and still couldn't find anything to date - not sure why no one is making the facelift grille Most of the clips on mine are so brittle that it would come apart at anytime - a couple of them already disappeared. Please update us on how those replacement work out? Thanks.
Will do. They are shipping today but I still don't know where they are coming from. The seller is located in the US but who knows if he drop ships from China... I'll take plenty of pictures and document the process.
__________________
The older I get, the faster I was...
No Fear

  • 2004 e53 X5 3.0 ZSP (4/04 build date) Jet Black exterior/Sand Beige interior
  • 2002 e46 325i ZPP (2/02 build date) Alpine White exterior/Hell Beige interior
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.