Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2017, 02:10 PM
Overboost's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 1,085
Overboost is on a distinguished road
2004 X5 ZSP Power Folding Mirror Retrofit Research

My next retrofit will hopefully be the power folding mirrors. I started with the necessary master switch module I picked up on fleaBay for $79 delivered in excellent shape out of a 2005 and is already installed.

After days of researching the proper mirrors needed and reading about all the microswitch and gear failures in the design, I am thinking new mirror assemblies will be the best course of action. So, here is my question.

I pretty sure I have the basic heated and tilt/memory mirrors without anti-dazzle and I have the sport package and the mirror backings (triangle mounting to the doors) are gloss black. I ran my VIN at BMW VIN decoder and no listing for mirrors. (LU37432) ECS Tuning has the basic power fold mirrors, heated with tilt but they are not gloss black for the sport package. My dealer could not provide any information on the auto fold sports package mirrors. Does anyone know of the proper part number for the basic auto fold, heated, memory/tilt in gloss black mounting back for the sport package?

I'm seen in my reading others have done the retrofit and I could use some direction on the proper direction to proceed? The whole sport package thing is where I am stumbling. Probably just my OCD...

I welcome any and all suggestions.
Attached Images
 
__________________
  • 2004 E53 X5 3.0 ZSP (4/04 build date) Jet Black exterior/Sand Beige interior
  • 2002 E46 325i ZPP (2/02 build date) Alpine White exterior/Hell Beige interior

Digital Competition Systems
The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 12-16-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 12-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 312
scourtaud23 is on a distinguished road
I know I have them on my 4.6is but I don't know if these are what you're lookin for. You might want to browse the parts catalog for 4.6is
__________________
2002 4.6is silver on black
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-16-2017, 05:11 PM
Qsilver7's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 3,179
Qsilver7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
My next retrofit will hopefully be the power folding mirrors. I started with the necessary master switch module I picked up on fleaBay for $79 delivered in excellent shape out of a 2005 and is already installed.

After days of researching the proper mirrors needed and reading about all the microswitch and gear failures in the design, I am thinking new mirror assemblies will be the best course of action. So, here is my question.

I pretty sure I have the basic heated and tilt/memory mirrors without anti-dazzle and I have the sport package and the mirror backings (triangle mounting to the doors) are gloss black. I ran my VIN at BMW VIN decoder and no listing for mirrors. (LU37432) ECS Tuning has the basic power fold mirrors, heated with tilt but they are not gloss black for the sport package. My dealer could not provide any information on the auto fold sports package mirrors. Does anyone know of the proper part number for the basic auto fold, heated, memory/tilt in gloss black mounting back for the sport package?

I'm seen in my reading others have done the retrofit and I could use some direction on the proper direction to proceed? The whole sport package thing is where I am stumbling. Probably just my OCD...

I welcome any and all suggestions.
Go to one of the online part database sites like realoem.com, bmwfans.info, or etk.cc and DO NOT input the last 7 digits of your VIN (LU37432). When you input your VIN, the part database becomes "specific" and will hone in on how your specific BMW was optioned...and not list all available options for that model/model year/build date.

If you input data for a 2004 X5 3.0 with a 4/2004 build date...then go to the diagrams for the exterior mirrors...click on the the diagram for mirror housing for X5s with option codes S430a (int/ext dip) & S760a (high gloss).

Do the above and you'll see there are MULTIPLE selections for the various options...you'll see a choice for "yes" or "no" for the option codes you have. If you want exterior mirror assemblies for sport pkg w/high gloss (S760a)...then make sure the supplemental column says "yes". And you also want the auto dim exterior folding mirrors...then also make sure the supplemental column says "yes" for that feature, too...as well as "yes" for any other features you have (heat/fold/high gloss/dip/etc).

Do that for both item #1 & #2 in the diagram. Click the link below to go directly to the part database for a X5 3.0 with 4/04 build date, then click on the diagram for S430a & S760a outside mirror assemblies:
RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog
__________________
{BMW CCA Member #191509 - (for more info see: www.bmwcca.org)}
  • 2013 f06 650ix GC (1/13 build date) Black Sapphire exterior/Schwarz (black) Nappa Leather interior
  • 2006 e53 X5 4.4i (12/05 build date) Sterling Gray exterior/Schwarz (black) Dakota Leather interior
  • 1997 e38 740iL (sold) Arctic Silver
  • 1999 e39 540iT (sold) Orient Blue
  • 1995 e34 525iT (sold) Alpine White
  • 1991 e32 735iL (sold) Schwarz (black)
  • 1985 e30 325e (sold) Bronzit

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-16-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Overboost's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 1,085
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Go to one of the online part database sites like realoem.com, bmwfans.info, or etk.cc and DO NOT input the last 7 digits of your VIN (LU37432). When you input your VIN, the part database becomes "specific" and will hone in on how your specific BMW was optioned...and not list all available options for that model/model year/build date.

If you input data for a 2004 X5 3.0 with a 4/2004 build date...then go to the diagrams for the exterior mirrors...click on the the diagram for mirror housing for X5s with option codes S430a (int/ext dip) & S760a (high gloss).

Do the above and you'll see there are MULTIPLE selections for the various options...you'll see a choice for "yes" or "no" for the option codes you have. If you want exterior mirror assemblies for sport pkg w/high gloss (S760a)...then make sure the supplemental column says "yes". And you also want the auto dim exterior folding mirrors...then also make sure the supplemental column says "yes" for that feature, too...as well as "yes" for any other features you have (heat/fold/high gloss/dip/etc).

Do that for both item #1 & #2 in the diagram. Click the link below to go directly to the part database for a X5 3.0 with 4/04 build date, then click on the diagram for S430a & S760a outside mirror assemblies:
RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog
Thanks Qsilver7,
I did go and browse the RealOEM site and followed the build 04/04 3.0 and I do not see any reference to folding mirrors. I think you may be onto something.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3937

So I input 4.8 04/04 build date and I think I see what I am after although all the different options show the same part number.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3938

So if I am correct, i need:
Left mirror 51167039925
Right Mirror 51167039926

Let me know if you think I missed anything. Thanks for your help!
__________________
  • 2004 E53 X5 3.0 ZSP (4/04 build date) Jet Black exterior/Sand Beige interior
  • 2002 E46 325i ZPP (2/02 build date) Alpine White exterior/Hell Beige interior

Digital Competition Systems
The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Qsilver7's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 3,179
Qsilver7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Thanks Qsilver7,
I did go and browse the RealOEM site and followed the build 04/04 3.0 and I do not see any reference to folding mirrors. I think you may be onto something.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3937

So I input 4.8 04/04 build date and I think I see what I am after although all the different options show the same part number.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3938

So if I am correct, i need:
Left mirror 51167039925
Right Mirror 51167039926

Let me know if you think I missed anything. Thanks for your help!
You are correct with the part numbers...but your realoem.com link is the wrong diagram. You selected the diagram for option code S760a (which was under "GLAZING"...you need to scroll down further to "OUTSIDE MIRRORS" and select the diagram group that says S430A & S760A.

S760a is for sport pkg mirrors only...the folding option comes with the S430A option (auto-dip/dim electrochromatic mirrors)...so you need the diagram that lists both of those mirror options...here's a direct link for the 2004 X5 3.0 that will have those same part nbrs listed you found under the 4.8is:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3938

Don't forget that you may need item #2 as well (and perhaps #3)...and if you have the high gloss Schwartz (black) trim...you'll need:
  • 51 16 7 002 319 (left)
  • 51 16 7 002 320 (right)

__________________
{BMW CCA Member #191509 - (for more info see: www.bmwcca.org)}
  • 2013 f06 650ix GC (1/13 build date) Black Sapphire exterior/Schwarz (black) Nappa Leather interior
  • 2006 e53 X5 4.4i (12/05 build date) Sterling Gray exterior/Schwarz (black) Dakota Leather interior
  • 1997 e38 740iL (sold) Arctic Silver
  • 1999 e39 540iT (sold) Orient Blue
  • 1995 e34 525iT (sold) Alpine White
  • 1991 e32 735iL (sold) Schwarz (black)
  • 1985 e30 325e (sold) Bronzit

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-16-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-16-2017, 10:03 PM
Overboost's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 1,085
Overboost is on a distinguished road
I'm hoping to reuse the covers and supporting rings on my mirrors now. Fingers crossed getting them off without breaking tabs...

I also plan on reusing my glass even though it is not electrochromatic. That might be another day...

Thanks again for helping me, I owe you...
__________________
  • 2004 E53 X5 3.0 ZSP (4/04 build date) Jet Black exterior/Sand Beige interior
  • 2002 E46 325i ZPP (2/02 build date) Alpine White exterior/Hell Beige interior

Digital Competition Systems
The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Qsilver7's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 3,179
Qsilver7 is on a distinguished road
__________________
{BMW CCA Member #191509 - (for more info see: www.bmwcca.org)}
  • 2013 f06 650ix GC (1/13 build date) Black Sapphire exterior/Schwarz (black) Nappa Leather interior
  • 2006 e53 X5 4.4i (12/05 build date) Sterling Gray exterior/Schwarz (black) Dakota Leather interior
  • 1997 e38 740iL (sold) Arctic Silver
  • 1999 e39 540iT (sold) Orient Blue
  • 1995 e34 525iT (sold) Alpine White
  • 1991 e32 735iL (sold) Schwarz (black)
  • 1985 e30 325e (sold) Bronzit
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:00 PM
Overboost's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 1,085
Overboost is on a distinguished road
OK, next question if anyone knows the answer. In preparation for the power fold mirrors, I coded my GM3 for SPIEGELEINKLAPPEN to active.

Does anyone know if the vehicle order needs a $313 option (folding mirrors) added on an X5 E53?

Does anyone know which modules store the vehicle order on X5 E53?
*EDIT* I think I found the answer to above question. Cluster and EWS.
Attached Images
 
__________________
  • 2004 E53 X5 3.0 ZSP (4/04 build date) Jet Black exterior/Sand Beige interior
  • 2002 E46 325i ZPP (2/02 build date) Alpine White exterior/Hell Beige interior

Digital Competition Systems
The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 12-17-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 312
scourtaud23 is on a distinguished road
Didn't look into that, but it seems right. I'll look into it when I connect to the x5 next.
__________________
2002 4.6is silver on black
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-17-2017, 04:42 PM
Overboost's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 1,085
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Wow, a serious headache reading how to change the vehicle order in the E53. Our E53 uses the old ZCS vehicle order structure and is not as simple as changing it like my later model E46. Apparently I need Zeko software to make the changes and then have to code the modules and entire car with NCS using checksums. One mistake and you brick the EWS. Not too confident in changing this myself. Anyone else ever done this?
__________________
  • 2004 E53 X5 3.0 ZSP (4/04 build date) Jet Black exterior/Sand Beige interior
  • 2002 E46 325i ZPP (2/02 build date) Alpine White exterior/Hell Beige interior

Digital Competition Systems
The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 12-17-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.