Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-01-2019, 06:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Italy
Posts: 45
whizzkid23 is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to give a final update. Powered the TCU trough a relay related to ignition switch position. Car can now be left parked for over 10 days and fires up like a dream. The Bluetooth module / function still work like they always did, great!!



If anyone should ever need a guid on how to manage this issue, I would take a picture and explain what's needed.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #12  
Old 07-01-2019, 06:28 AM
deepblonde's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia, Melbourne
Posts: 226
deepblonde is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzkid23 View Post
Just wanted to give a final update. Powered the TCU trough a relay related to ignition switch position. Car can now be left parked for over 10 days and fires up like a dream. The Bluetooth module / function still work like they always did, great!!



If anyone should ever need a guid on how to manage this issue, I would take a picture and explain what's needed.
A guide and picture would be great!
__________________
X5 3.0d Sport, 2006 LeMans Blue, Six-Speed ZF auto, Panoramic roof, Intravee II, Navigation, etc...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-09-2019, 06:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Italy
Posts: 45
whizzkid23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblonde View Post
A guide and picture would be great!

There you go...at least a picture of the work. The relay is on the left with green/yellow/white wires. Basically I set it up the way that the new relay is powered by the relay of the rear defroster, which gets power only when you turn the key. If i remember right, the white color wire of the relay is supposed to be connected to "-" and the yellow one is "+" which i got from the rear defroster underneeth the green relay.

Once activated the relay closes the connection between the green wires which I connected with the stock fuse source (red cable) and powers the TCU unit. Obviously i installed a 10A fuse on the red cable....


It's not the cleanest of solutions but it's 100% reversible in any moment - that was my priority.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-09-2019, 07:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 507
Purplefade is on a distinguished road
That is freakin awesome, great engineering and Im sure something that will be put to use many more times as our Xs continue to age ☹️


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Italy
Posts: 45
whizzkid23 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the kudos! I'm planning to keep this car for at least another 10 years so... I will have to stick other "patches" here and there for sure
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:43 AM
crystalworks's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 3,798
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
You should add the terms "battery drain" and "solved" to the thread title just for people searching. This is a great solution to a fairly common problem. Nice work.
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 507
Purplefade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzkid23 View Post
Thanks for the kudos! I'm planning to keep this car for at least another 10 years so... I will have to stick other "patches" here and there for sure



I heard that, that's why I did my own VSS job! - I've had mine for a bit longer than 6 years now and planned on keeping it "forever"... but I've fallen in love with a blue 2012 X5M... that my wife DOESN'T want me to have.


After all the "fun" I have had with my current E53, she has no idea why I would ever consider owning another one LOL... I tell her it's because the things are so damn hard to hate! I know the enjoyment my current X has brought me, I can only imagine the enjoyment that 550 HP of TT power would bring me That's when she quickly reminds me of the whole new set of problems that I would be taking on... which is why I haven't bought one yet... hhhhhuuuu
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Italy
Posts: 45
whizzkid23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefade View Post
I heard that, that's why I did my own VSS job! - I've had mine for a bit longer than 6 years now and planned on keeping it "forever"... but I've fallen in love with a blue 2012 X5M... that my wife DOESN'T want me to have.


After all the "fun" I have had with my current E53, she has no idea why I would ever consider owning another one LOL... I tell her it's because the things are so damn hard to hate! I know the enjoyment my current X has brought me, I can only imagine the enjoyment that 550 HP of TT power would bring me That's when she quickly reminds me of the whole new set of problems that I would be taking on... which is why I haven't bought one yet... hhhhhuuuu

I see your point Actually I would be probably thinking about a upgrade too, if money was all around me. That's not the case and actually the whole family loves the car and I enjoy repairing it so... looking forward to another 150.000miles :-)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.