Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 160
Oldmactech is on a distinguished road
Thanks. It’s just a project, course it would be nice to have a “keeper” at the end. Surprised how much insurance is on these thing.

Question: what is a block? Of course I know it’s the bottom of the engine but in universal terms does the block refer to the pistons and crank and other bits or just the block minus all of the moving parts?




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #22  
Old 04-04-2019, 04:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 260
Purplefade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmactech View Post
Thanks. It’s just a project, course it would be nice to have a “keeper” at the end. Surprised how much insurance is on these thing.

Question: what is a block? Of course I know it’s the bottom of the engine but in universal terms does the block refer to the pistons and crank and other bits or just the block minus all of the moving parts?




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


“Block” is usually just that, the raw, empty engine block with no internals no heads, intake manifold, oil pan, covers, etc.

“Short Block” usually refers to everything below the heads and intake manifold, including pistons, crank, rods (the general rolling assembly), without many/most of the covers and oil pan that you would swap over from your old engine
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-04-2019, 05:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 160
Oldmactech is on a distinguished road
Thanks. Always wondered. I suppose if I had to I could replace the block (wouldn’t know how to tell if a block was good or not) swap the guts in (never done before).

Sad that my Father-in-law is no longer living, he’d get me through it.

Finding several reasonable priced engines -$800 for 150k miles. Trouble is won’t deliver to residence.

Still hoping the helicoil surgery will work but keeping my options fresh.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-04-2019, 08:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 260
Purplefade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmactech View Post
Thanks. Always wondered. I suppose if I had to I could replace the block (wouldn’t know how to tell if a block was good or not) swap the guts in (never done before).

Sad that my Father-in-law is no longer living, he’d get me through it.

Finding several reasonable priced engines -$800 for 150k miles. Trouble is won’t deliver to residence.

Still hoping the helicoil surgery will work but keeping my options fresh.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


All in all the swap isn’t too difficult. Once you have the block drop it off at any local engine shop and have them do a tank and test to make sure the block is sound, shouldn’t be too costly, last I had done was $200 with no machining. After that measure the cylinder bore and pistons, just to be safe then put everything back together with new bearings and rings and vwala! - short Block reassembled and ready to go.

With regard to delivering to a residence... I had that same issue so I snagged myself a vendors license for $10 (all online in Ohio anyway) and setup a shop name with my address as the place of business
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 160
Oldmactech is on a distinguished road
Sounds ez..... but I might try it if the block is shot.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 260
Purplefade is on a distinguished road
Good luck and keep us posted!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:18 PM
wpoll's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Posts: 2,363
wpoll will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmactech View Post
Sounds ez..... but I might try it if the block is shot.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's a lot of work for one stupid stripped hole - I'm hoping the heli-coil sorts ya!
__________________
Wayne
2005 BMW X5 3.0d (b 02/05)
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar (b 06/01)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 160
Oldmactech is on a distinguished road
Lol. Indeed....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-05-2019, 12:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 105
stiubhartach is on a distinguished road
This is what the block looks like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-20...cAAOSw3qRbvpLU

And a good thread on rebuild:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=703703
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i SterlingGrau, Sport Package, DSP
Build 3/12/2005



Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-05-2019, 08:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 160
Oldmactech is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Mines a 3.0 6 cyl but same principle.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.