Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-09-2020, 10:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boston
Posts: 93
Boston01X5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketyMan View Post
Not true at all. There are many options that can be used across multiple BMW platforms with the same P/N. In addition, I already mentioned that some parts are build date specific as there can be sub-component part year changes. Coding is very important and cannot be overlooked.
OK, I wasn't aware of that. I'm using my original module now. I would love to get INPA working. Can you recommend a forum or someone who can walk me through installing it on laptop with Windows 8?

EODguy I will take pictures of the live data and dash.

I'd like to rotate each wheel manually and test the sensors with a multimeter to make sure they are reading. Can someone explain how I do this? There are only 2 pins on these WSS most have 3. I'm not sure how these work, or how to test them.
__________________
2001 BMW X5 4.4i Topaz Blue
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #22  
Old 05-09-2020, 10:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 190
Effduration is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston01X5 View Post
OK, I wasn't aware of that. I'm using my original module now. I would love to get INPA working. Can you recommend a forum or someone who can walk me through installing it on laptop with Windows 8?

EODguy I will take pictures of the live data and dash.

I'd like to rotate each wheel manually and test the sensors with a multimeter to make sure they are reading. Can someone explain how I do this? There are only 2 pins on these WSS most have 3. I'm not sure how these work, or how to test them.
This is how I did it. Worked great.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1274003

I did have to "extract" the source file a few times.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-09-2020, 10:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Boston
Posts: 93
Boston01X5 is on a distinguished road
Thanks very much for that link - I just followed those instructions and finally have INPA installed. Both of the circles on main screen are black with key in position 2, which according to tutorial means INPA is connected to the vehicle.

But anytime I try to access a module I get the following error:

IFH-0009 NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT

I've included a screenshot, any idea why this is happening?
Attached Images
 
__________________
2001 BMW X5 4.4i Topaz Blue

Last edited by Boston01X5; 05-09-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-09-2020, 03:35 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 5,841
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty certain that the border b square wave across the pins will result in a measurable ac votage. If you can get similar reading on each would indicate the reluctor ring and wss are playing nice. The problem is: if the internal bond wires are broken you won't be getting power to the sensor.

The more interesting part is you said that you got readings on all four wheels but also that you got no reading on back left wheel.

Where did you get RPM readings?

I'm not sure if the wiring goes via dash to the abs module or goes first to and then dash, but there does seem to be a wiring fault there somewhere with the battery light but no problem with alternator
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-09-2020, 04:24 PM
wpoll's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Posts: 3,295
wpoll will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston01X5 View Post
Thanks very much for that link - I just followed those instructions and finally have INPA installed. Both of the circles on main screen are black with key in position 2, which according to tutorial means INPA is connected to the vehicle.

But anytime I try to access a module I get the following error:

IFH-0009 NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT

I've included a screenshot, any idea why this is happening?
Does your cable have pins 7 & 8 jumpered (joined)? They need to be for INPA to communicate with all the modules, as the modules are not all on one pin....
__________________
Wayne
2005 BMW X5 3.0d (b 02/05)
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar (b 06/01)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-11-2020, 02:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: PNW
Posts: 79
RocketyMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston01X5 View Post
OK, I wasn't aware of that. I'm using my original module now. I would love to get INPA working. Can you recommend a forum or someone who can walk me through installing it on laptop with Windows 8?

EODguy I will take pictures of the live data and dash.

I'd like to rotate each wheel manually and test the sensors with a multimeter to make sure they are reading. Can someone explain how I do this? There are only 2 pins on these WSS most have 3. I'm not sure how these work, or how to test them.
Good. We need your original module in order to see how it was coded. Then we can simply use those parameters and parameterize your test module if need be.
__________________
2003 BMW X5 3.0 -- manual, 3.64s final gears, H&R lowering springs, K-Mac bushing kit
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-11-2020, 02:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: PNW
Posts: 79
RocketyMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
I'm pretty certain that the border b square wave across the pins will result in a measurable ac votage. If you can get similar reading on each would indicate the reluctor ring and wss are playing nice. The problem is: if the internal bond wires are broken you won't be getting power to the sensor.

The more interesting part is you said that you got readings on all four wheels but also that you got no reading on back left wheel.

Where did you get RPM readings?

I'm not sure if the wiring goes via dash to the abs module or goes first to and then dash, but there does seem to be a wiring fault there somewhere with the battery light but no problem with alternator
To answer this question, it is more crucial for the ABS module to get reliable data from the wss directly than have something unrelated re-broadcast this information to the ABS. Therefore, all WSS go directly to ABS, then the module re-broadcast this to the IKE (cluster).

So from Newtis.info, the ABS transmits a signal to the IKE from the rear left wss via pin 34...depending on configuration. All WSS are directly connected via ABS module. The wiring diagram is a little confusing..and you need to be very conscious of your build date apparently as pins do change it seems.

Sensor "B4" is your rear left wss that connects to the ABS. I don't like how the pinouts call pin 34 wss rear left...as this is totally confusing making it seem like the sensor is wired to the IKE--just like how it wasn't clear to you.
Attached Images
  
__________________
2003 BMW X5 3.0 -- manual, 3.64s final gears, H&R lowering springs, K-Mac bushing kit
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-11-2020, 02:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: PNW
Posts: 79
RocketyMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
Does your cable have pins 7 & 8 jumpered (joined)? They need to be for INPA to communicate with all the modules, as the modules are not all on one pin....
Good point...

@Boston01X5 , can you post a pic of your adapter? If you don't have an adpater that has pins 7&8 shorted, then I think you can only access like one module or something.
__________________
2003 BMW X5 3.0 -- manual, 3.64s final gears, H&R lowering springs, K-Mac bushing kit
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-11-2020, 04:57 PM
Overboost's Avatar
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 2,538
Overboost is on a distinguished road
DME and EGS on pin 7. All other modules on pin 8.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-12-2020, 04:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: PNW
Posts: 79
RocketyMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
DME and EGS on pin 7. All other modules on pin 8.
Yup...that sounds about right.
__________________
2003 BMW X5 3.0 -- manual, 3.64s final gears, H&R lowering springs, K-Mac bushing kit
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:56 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.