Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-29-2020, 08:11 PM
upallnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cook County
Posts: 6,938
upallnight is on a distinguished road
See my post on another thread about this problem.

https://xoutpost.com/1166498-post38.html
__________________
2006 Infiniti G35
2001 BMW 3.0I E53 X5 Build date 08/2000 SOLD
Lotus Europa 1970 Destroyed by fire
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #12  
Old 06-29-2020, 08:29 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,639
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
+1 on @ual


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,061
80stech is on a distinguished road
First we don't know if the OP has a pressure regulated or electronically regulated variable displacement compressor. Second, either one but especially the later, not regulating properly doesn't explain the clutch not cutting in. Third, there is the aux fan code that could very well be relevant because we all know the A/C won't work if there is a Aux fan problem.
__________________
1988 325is (purchased new)
2004 X5 3.0 (new to me) 2005 X3 2.5 (new to wife)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-29-2020, 10:46 PM
upallnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cook County
Posts: 6,938
upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80stech View Post
First we don't know if the OP has a pressure regulated or electronically regulated variable displacement compressor. Second, either one but especially the later, not regulating properly doesn't explain the clutch not cutting in. Third, there is the aux fan code that could very well be relevant because we all know the A/C won't work if there is a Aux fan problem.
He has a Nihon/Calsonic CSV717 Compressor which came standard for his make model and year X5. A Nihon/Calsonic CSV717 Compressor has a solenoid-operated valve that controls the squash plate that varies the displacement for the compressor. O.P. stated that sometime he has cold air but not at idle. This will point to a defective compressor. That's why I told him in my first post that he needs to see what type of pressure he is getting on the high side and low side of the system. Depending on the type of failure with an aux fan it may or may not affect some of te operation of the ac system. In stop and go traffic on a very hot and humid day you need the aux fan running to keep the ac operating efficently, but if you are doing 40 mph and up on a highway the aux fan isn't needed to cool the refrigerant in the condenser.
__________________
2006 Infiniti G35
2001 BMW 3.0I E53 X5 Build date 08/2000 SOLD
Lotus Europa 1970 Destroyed by fire
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-29-2020, 11:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,061
80stech is on a distinguished road
None of that matters if the clutch is not cutting in, or are you saying there is no clutch ??
__________________
1988 325is (purchased new)
2004 X5 3.0 (new to me) 2005 X3 2.5 (new to wife)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-30-2020, 06:39 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,639
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
Intermittent AC - out of ideas

AC works some of the time = clutch will kick on. Intermittent.

The scan tool will show live data for the HVAC it's buried but find it. It will show state of compressor and AC button for example. Also with car running 30 seconds command compressor should be long enough to feel some cold or hear the RPM drop.

+1 on high/low gauges. It's the only way to diagnose AC. Especially with variable gain compressor.
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-30-2020, 09:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 80
FellowsheepTech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
See my post on another thread about this problem.

https://xoutpost.com/1166498-post38.html
<<If you have the Calsonic Kansei compressor than you have the variable displacement compressor. Most likely the solenoid that control the the variable diplacement of the compressor is not working properly so the compressor never get to the point that it is actually pumping refrigerant through the system at the very beginning. Once the engine had turned the compressor after awhile the compressor kicks in and enough refrigernt is flowing that the system is working. Never had any trouble with my fix displacement Denso compressor all the years that I own my X.>>
Understood and very helpful. This would seem to be the case if activation of both fan & compressor always worked, but cooling was intermittent. In my case, the issue appears to be with activation. Sitting in the driveway I can hit MAX & tool shows compressor active state, but no fan or clutch engagement.

To recap, I can tell either fan or compressor to engage with tool & they do, but they do not from DME. It would seem to be same wiring for the command either way, right? I don't think I have a state of clutch engaged with no cooling, I think the clutch isn't engaging when commanded (and fault code indicates because DME could not activate the fan).

Cooling only happens (thus far) when driving; didn't come on at all on 10 minute trip last night, but did pretty quickly on the return.

FWIW, also agree & appreciate with your input regarding gauges, just been focused on activation logic. Maybe I can get pressure readings (not just switch/sensor states) from the tool.
__________________
Chris

~~~~~~~~~
'10 X5 35D - Performance mods & Kassel tune // '04 Mini R53 - lots of mods, rebuilt // '03 Mini R53 - sold
'05 X5 3.0i - Recently acquired for wife & daughter
'03 X5 3.0i - lots of upgrades, passed to son // '98 540i - other son's
'94 E36 318ic - son's wrecked // '96 E36 328ic - son's sold
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-30-2020, 09:21 AM
upallnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cook County
Posts: 6,938
upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowsheepTech View Post
Understood and very helpful. This would seem to be the case if activation of both fan & compressor always worked, but cooling was intermittent. In my case, the issue appears to be with activation. Sitting in the driveway I can hit MAX & tool shows compressor active state, but no fan or clutch engagement.

To recap, I can tell either fan or compressor to engage with tool & they do, but they do not from DME. It would seem to be same wiring for the command either way, right? I don't think I have a state of clutch engaged with no cooling, I think the clutch isn't engaging when commanded (and fault code indicates because DME could not activate the fan).

Cooling only happens (thus far) when driving; didn't come on at all on 10 minute trip last night, but did pretty quickly on the return.

FWIW, also agree & appreciate with your input regarding gauges, just been focused on activation logic. Maybe I can get pressure readings (not just switch/sensor states) from the tool.
There is a high low pressure sensor in the system but I don't think it will provide pressure data.

I like the old fashion way with mechanical gauges connected to the system. Cooling is all base on pressure differential. If you want to find out why your ac is not working you need to find out the pressure and go from there.
__________________
2006 Infiniti G35
2001 BMW 3.0I E53 X5 Build date 08/2000 SOLD
Lotus Europa 1970 Destroyed by fire
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-30-2020, 09:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 80
FellowsheepTech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
AC works some of the time = clutch will kick on. Intermittent.

The scan tool will show live data for the HVAC it's buried but find it. It will show state of compressor and AC button for example. Also with car running 30 seconds command compressor should be long enough to feel some cold or hear the RPM drop.

+1 on high/low gauges. It's the only way to diagnose AC. Especially with variable gain compressor.
Yes, I've checked/monitored states in live data; have been seeing state of activation but no clutch engagement or fan movement. Yet when I command them to activate they do. How can it respond to the tool & not the DME?

1. Control Panel saying it's sending the signal but not doing so? I've replaced the control panel, but no proof they aren't both bad. Everything else seems to work on the panel.
2. Evap temp sensor seems like it could affect that logic? I've replaced it also.

FWIW Only cools when driving & then intermittently (comes on for a while then peters out vs. randomly) - this would seem to indicate enough moving air without the aux fan allowing it to engage compressor, but not the intermittent behavior. Granted the intermittent could be a separate [compressor] problem, but... no code to point me there vs. the one code I do get.
__________________
Chris

~~~~~~~~~
'10 X5 35D - Performance mods & Kassel tune // '04 Mini R53 - lots of mods, rebuilt // '03 Mini R53 - sold
'05 X5 3.0i - Recently acquired for wife & daughter
'03 X5 3.0i - lots of upgrades, passed to son // '98 540i - other son's
'94 E36 318ic - son's wrecked // '96 E36 328ic - son's sold
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 80
FellowsheepTech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80stech View Post
I would double check that the compressor clutch is really not cutting in and then go down the path to find what is causing the aux fan code. Maybe check all fuses. Sometimes if the clutch is worn or the coil isn't getting quite enough power you can CAREFULLY nudge the front clutch plate with a hammer handle to get it to snap in.
Yes, I have been though all the fuses a couple of times. Have never seen the fan come on or clutch engage when not commanded from the tool; in the driveway. Obviously I can't tell what's engaged or spinning while driving, but can safely assume the clutch is engaged when cooling occurs.
__________________
Chris

~~~~~~~~~
'10 X5 35D - Performance mods & Kassel tune // '04 Mini R53 - lots of mods, rebuilt // '03 Mini R53 - sold
'05 X5 3.0i - Recently acquired for wife & daughter
'03 X5 3.0i - lots of upgrades, passed to son // '98 540i - other son's
'94 E36 318ic - son's wrecked // '96 E36 328ic - son's sold
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.