Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-23-2020, 07:45 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,124
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
The spline is prob just not engaged on one side. Unless one side is easier to turn it might be difficult to tell if left or right side. But think through the problem.

If you have a mechanic stethoscope you can listen to the dif while turning each front wheel. If only one side is not engaged, the one that is engaged will be turning more gears should be louder unless you can hear the clicks of spline skipping.
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #22  
Old 07-23-2020, 09:03 PM
wpoll's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Posts: 3,358
wpoll will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
Didn't you already replaced the front diff? Didn't you inspect the axle when you pulled the axle out of the old diff to put in the replacement diff?

If you did replace the old diff when you reinserted the axles back into the replacement diff did you feel or hear a click as the retainer snapped into place?
Yeah, this... it make very little sense that the same fault exists AFTER replacing the front diff... if the shaft wasn't inserted correctly into the diff before the diff replacement, it should be afterwards. Or the job was screwed up.

BTW, this is not an un-common issue but the fix is very straight forward - insert the axle correctly.
__________________
Wayne
2005 BMW X5 3.0d (b 02/05)
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar (b 06/01)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-23-2020, 11:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Rutherford NJ
Posts: 5
maddogmontana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
The spline is prob just not engaged on one side. Unless one side is easier to turn it might be difficult to tell if left or right side. But think through the problem.

If you have a mechanic stethoscope you can listen to the dif while turning each front wheel. If only one side is not engaged, the one that is engaged will be turning more gears should be louder unless you can hear the clicks of spline skipping.

I wasn't present with my mechanic when he put it back together.

One did feel slightly easier to turn today, I think it was driver side.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-24-2020, 01:12 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,124
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
You might be able to figure out by turning the front prop (all wheels off the ground car in gear) remember that you have to put into neutral and best to turn off engine before putting info park so you don't risk damage to the parking prawl. You're looking for some motion on one side vs the other. The disconnected side should turn less than the side that's plugged in fully.

The "turns easier" side is the kindly candidate. I would pull that axle and install without the retaining clip and see if it engaged.

There's a chance an incorrect axle was used at some point so check the splines at the end and determine if splines are damaged or in some way the axle won't go in fully.
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-24-2020, 09:56 AM
upallnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cook County
Posts: 6,839
upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
You might be able to figure out by turning the front prop (all wheels off the ground car in gear) remember that you have to put into neutral and best to turn off engine before putting info park so you don't risk damage to the parking prawl. You're looking for some motion on one side vs the other. The disconnected side should turn less than the side that's plugged in fully.

The "turns easier" side is the kindly candidate. I would pull that axle and install without the retaining clip and see if it engaged.

There's a chance an incorrect axle was used at some point so check the splines at the end and determine if splines are damaged or in some way the axle won't go in fully.
I would suspect the spring retainer is preventing the axle from seating completely. Most aftermarket axles have problem with getting the tension correct for the retainer. Most people just reuse the old retainer. Some people even leave out the ratainer out if they can't get it in and the car may still move but if the axle pop out of the diff you'll end up with no movement.

Easy way to determine the axle that is not seated all the way is to grab the inner cv joint and see if you can move it in and out of the diff. You may have to jack up the wheel so that the axle is perpendicular to the diff. The tripod portion of the joint is attach to the axle while the cup portion of the cv joint should be attached to the diff. If the cup move in and out that means it is not seated in the diff.
__________________
2006 Infiniti G35
2001 BMW 3.0I E53 X5 Build date 08/2000 SOLD
Lotus Europa 1970 Destroyed by fire
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-24-2020, 10:08 AM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,124
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
That is correct but it can be still too hard to move without prybar so not just a tug but with a gentle pry with a bar should not release from the dif. Usually takes like 100+ # of force to remove.
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-24-2020, 11:16 AM
upallnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cook County
Posts: 6,839
upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
That is correct but it can be still too hard to move without prybar so not just a tug but with a gentle pry with a bar should not release from the dif. Usually takes like 100+ # of force to remove.
If the splines being out from the diff is the problem it wouldn't take a lot of force to determine that. The retainer clip will not be a factor so it should slide or move I have previously stated.
__________________
2006 Infiniti G35
2001 BMW 3.0I E53 X5 Build date 08/2000 SOLD
Lotus Europa 1970 Destroyed by fire
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-24-2020, 09:11 PM
andrewwynn's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,124
andrewwynn is on a distinguished road
"should" however, as least one case on xo last year, the clip jammed and he couldn't get the cv in or out a mm.
__________________
E53 / M54 2001 3.0i gas LHD (pair of them: his & her)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.