Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-08-2020, 10:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 156
Meestahbig is on a distinguished road
Are my motor mounts going - AC off reduces vibration

U.S. 2003 X5 3.0 Automatic 162k miles.

In drive, at full stop the car is vibrating. i can feel it mainly through the steering wheels. Its not bad, but noticeable. I thought for sure it was worn motor mounts, however - when I turn the AC off, the vibration reduces some 90%... and if I turn the fan off, its basically gone. What do you think?

A local shop here quoted me $825 for the motor mount replacement. I thought that was fair - I don't want to crush my hand or head using a jack and jack stands. The DIY job look intimidating, despite me having done all other work on this car as DIY.
__________________
---------------------------------------------
2003 X5 3.0i M54 Silver (build 07/03)
1977 Ferrari 308 GTB
1994 Ferrari 348TS Speciale #14/15
1989 Ferrari Testarossa
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 10-08-2020, 10:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 897
Purplefade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meestahbig View Post
U.S. 2003 X5 3.0 Automatic 162k miles.

In drive, at full stop the car is vibrating. i can feel it mainly through the steering wheels. Its not bad, but noticeable. I thought for sure it was worn motor mounts, however - when I turn the AC off, the vibration reduces some 90%... and if I turn the fan off, its basically gone. What do you think?

A local shop here quoted me $825 for the motor mount replacement. I thought that was fair - I don't want to crush my hand or head using a jack and jack stands. The DIY job look intimidating, despite me having done all other work on this car as DIY.

Have you pulled codes, or had codes pulled yet? With 162k miles there are a number of things that can lead to a vibration and the fact that the vibration is significantly reduced with the AC off may indicate something other than motor mounts.


First thing to do would be to pull any codes if you can, or run down to the local auto parts shop and have them pull them for you - just so you know. From there, I can tell you that when my motor mounts went I could physically see the "shake" in the engine and if I had my wife "blip" the gas pedal the engine torque over was extreme.


Pull codes, check for vacuum leaks, have you changed spark plugs recently or not, etc, etc and let us know.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2020, 10:55 AM
Overboost's Avatar
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 2,775
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meestahbig View Post
U.S. 2003 X5 3.0 Automatic 162k miles.

In drive, at full stop the car is vibrating. i can feel it mainly through the steering wheels. Its not bad, but noticeable. I thought for sure it was worn motor mounts, however - when I turn the AC off, the vibration reduces some 90%... and if I turn the fan off, its basically gone. What do you think?

A local shop here quoted me $825 for the motor mount replacement. I thought that was fair - I don't want to crush my hand or head using a jack and jack stands. The DIY job look intimidating, despite me having done all other work on this car as DIY.
At 162k miles, it is time for engine mounts. Mine had the same vibration you are describing and the new mounts made it smooth as ever. You won't believe the difference. I recommend Corteco mounts.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2020, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 156
Meestahbig is on a distinguished road
Hi - I have no error codes. I have the generic OBDII reader. Ive been meaning to change my plugs, but they are not new, actually very old. what do you mean by the engine torque over was extreme. Are you saying, when you physically looked at the engine, you would see it move or jump in the engine bay? Yes - I think new motor mounts are due regardless, I just dont know how much more money I want to put into this car... Already spent about $2500 this year. I did have to get new belts because the pulley came off from the metal post going into the block... I was about 100 miles from home and luckily the shop was able to get me on the road within 4 hours. that cost me like $600. new tires, brakes & rotos, front half axles, tie rods and alignment. This car is like new, LOL.
__________________
---------------------------------------------
2003 X5 3.0i M54 Silver (build 07/03)
1977 Ferrari 308 GTB
1994 Ferrari 348TS Speciale #14/15
1989 Ferrari Testarossa
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Overboost's Avatar
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 2,775
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meestahbig View Post
Hi - I have no error codes. I have the generic OBDII reader. Ive been meaning to change my plugs, but they are not new, actually very old. what do you mean by the engine torque over was extreme. Are you saying, when you physically looked at the engine, you would see it move or jump in the engine bay? Yes - I think new motor mounts are due regardless, I just dont know how much more money I want to put into this car... Already spent about $2500 this year. I did have to get new belts because the pulley came off from the metal post going into the block... I was about 100 miles from home and luckily the shop was able to get me on the road within 4 hours. that cost me like $600. new tires, brakes & rotos, front half axles, tie rods and alignment. This car is like new, LOL.
Well, I can tell you from experience you will need to do the OPG soon. When you are under there doing the mounts, have a look at the front right of the OP. If you see oil, you will probably need to do that.

I understand about having to throw more money at a car with 162,000 miles but it is what is is, things wear out. You could always pony up for a new car that needs zero maintenance but you will be tossing at least $600/mo at the payment.

Or you could always bring out the 308 or 348 for your daily driver
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-08-2020, 12:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 156
Meestahbig is on a distinguished road
Ha, all so true...

I just want this car to last me one more year because I want a 2019 off lease. Ill still keep this car too, but it's time for something newer. I'm sure my OPG is leaking. My valve cover is leaking and despite having the parts, I've put that DIY off for some time. I am going to do it very soon. Maybe then Ill just suck it up and do the motor mounts at the BMW specialist place.

Funny you mentioned my 308 amd 348... just bought a Testarossa and today added it to my insurance as a daily driver! Full coverage was $817. Amazing.
__________________
---------------------------------------------
2003 X5 3.0i M54 Silver (build 07/03)
1977 Ferrari 308 GTB
1994 Ferrari 348TS Speciale #14/15
1989 Ferrari Testarossa
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-08-2020, 01:04 PM
Overboost's Avatar
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 2,775
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meestahbig View Post
Ha, all so true...

I just want this car to last me one more year because I want a 2019 off lease. Ill still keep this car too, but it's time for something newer. I'm sure my OPG is leaking. My valve cover is leaking and despite having the parts, I've put that DIY off for some time. I am going to do it very soon. Maybe then Ill just suck it up and do the motor mounts at the BMW specialist place.

Funny you mentioned my 308 and 348... just bought a Testarossa and today added it to my insurance as a daily driver! Full coverage was $817. Amazing.
Holy crap. The 512TR is just an icon in the prancing horse community. I miss my 92 348TS.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-08-2020, 01:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Posts: 1,414
Fifty150hs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
At 162k miles, it is time for engine mounts. Mine had the same vibration you are describing and the new mounts made it smooth as ever. You won't believe the difference. I recommend Corteco mounts.
+1

Changed my mounts at around 230,000 miles and it made a huge difference. I compared the old ones to new side by side and the old ones had collapsed at least 1/2". Time for new mounts.

The job actually is not that hard. You need the engine support from Harbor Freight, a jack and jack stands. I found you don't need to drop the sub frame if you put your jack under one side of the engine after the mounts are unbolted. You lift one side with the jack and it causes the motor to rotate just enough to get the mounts out and in. I used Corteco as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-08-2020, 01:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,117
oldskewel is on a distinguished road
3x Ferraris and still DIY'ing your E53. Awesome.

I'll just throw in my data point from my 2001 3.0i - ~194k miles. Original oil pan gasket and engine mounts. I had the head off a couple of years ago and did a ton of other work "while I was in there", kind of looked at the engine mounts, would have been easy to replace, but no problems so I just left them in there. Still no problems. Smooth.

I can't say the bottom of my engine is dry (at all), but that's what the stiffening plate is really for, right? The rate of oil loss is not significant, and I park on the street.

But it has lived a pretty easy life here in CA. Roads are pretty good, climate is great. So YMMV.

On your specific vibration, I'd look at the things you know trigger the problem = AC, fan. Also vary RPM to see how it changes. Sounds and vibrations can be amplified by resonances to make them seem worse than they really are. And yes, better engine mounts will help all of that, but may not be absolutely necessary.
__________________
2001 X5 3.0i, 190k miles, AT, owned since 2014
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-08-2020, 01:41 PM
Overboost's Avatar
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 2,775
Overboost is on a distinguished road
Mine is finally bone dry underneath with 187,000 miles. It just took my getting off my a$$, getting under there and knocking it out.

My Ferrari on the other hand leaked like a sieve. We even named it Valdezia. Italian for the Exxon Valdez disaster. I can still see the stain in my garage floor where she sat. That one was not going to be a garage DIY and the estimates to reseal it was $10K at a Ferrari indy. So throwing $10k at a car worth $45k seemed a little over the top so it was "Arrivederci" to my prancing horse.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.