Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-14-2020, 03:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 299
Johnny_5 is on a distinguished road
2004 X5 4.4i 4x4 issues....seeking some help in the right direction....

So recently Ive been getting the dreaded 4x4 light on the cluster and been doing the steering wheel reset and turning it off and back on and would go away and would be fine for a day or two and it would come back on. Today I noticed that it came back on as soon as I started it but this time it came back on with the low tire pressure light right next to it. I tired checking for codes with my reader but didn't detect anything so it must not be able to pull those codes. I did the reset again once again its gone.

So doing some research Im seeing it could be the alternator itself. One of the times the light came on I did notice that the radio did turn off? Not sure if that was a fluke or not?

Other things it could be is the worm gear, speed sensors, steering sensor, uneven tire pressure, etc....

So my question is where should I start? I would love to pull the code but since my scanner doesn't have that function what would you recommend so I can possibly purchase one? Or if its even worth purchasing one? I just need a direction and what it could be now that the tire pressure light is on. I did put air into the tires yesterday at 34psi all around. So maybe thats why its on? But I believe if I get the ABS, 4x4 and forgot the other one its guaranteed its the worm gear but so far its just been the 4x4 and tire pressure.

Any direction, info would be greatly appriciated!
__________________
2004 X5 4.4i 202k on odometer
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 11-14-2020, 03:53 AM
EODguy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Saudi Arabia/Philippines/USA
Posts: 1,632
EODguy is on a distinguished road
Do you have a full scanner Foxwell, inpa, etc?
If yes then what codes do you have? Check voltage is always a good call with BMW's.

Low pressure light....

Start with ride height sensors

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk
__________________
"When the Team Chief said.... You're trapped in a hole with nothing but a goat and a slinky, what do you do? Stubby said, I'm not sure but it won't end well for the goat...." ~(Overheard) Last day, Phase 3, Q Course
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2020, 09:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 299
Johnny_5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EODguy View Post
Do you have a full scanner Foxwell, inpa, etc?
If yes then what codes do you have? Check voltage is always a good call with BMW's.

Low pressure light....

Start with ride height sensors

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I do not have any of the scanners you indicated. The ones I have doesn't read those codes. I do have ability of checking my voltage with my current scanner so Ill see if I can check that tomorrow. Im really debating if I want to pick up a Inpa scanner but how much do those go for?

How do I check ride height sensors?
__________________
2004 X5 4.4i 202k on odometer
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2020, 09:56 PM
LVR LVR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: DFW
Posts: 988
LVR is on a distinguished road
I'd start with the simple stuff first... check the battery, alternator charge level.... these cars seriously have a brain fart when the electrics aren't being fed...
__________________
PREVIOUS

2006 E53 X5 3.0D
2004 E53 X5 4.8is
2004 E53 X5 4.4 Sport
2011 E70 X5 3.0D with Aero kit
2009 E71 X6 50i Sport
2009 E70 X5 50i Sport
2007 E60 540 M Sport LCI (All time favourite car)
2007 E70 X5 4.8i Sport
2005 E53 4.8is
2003 E53 3.0 Sport
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2020, 10:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 27
Caryalon is on a distinguished road
The tire pressure monitor uses and wheel speed senses to calculate the tire pressure variance. You need to get a scanner that can read the abs codes. You can also check the wheel speed sensors using a dvm or scope.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2020, 06:46 AM
EODguy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Saudi Arabia/Philippines/USA
Posts: 1,632
EODguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_5 View Post
Unfortunately I do not have any of the scanners you indicated. The ones I have doesn't read those codes. I do have ability of checking my voltage with my current scanner so Ill see if I can check that tomorrow. Im really debating if I want to pick up a Inpa scanner but how much do those go for?



How do I check ride height sensors?
I recommend the Foxwell NT-510 or NT-520 as they are very easy to use. (If my dumbass can use it anybody can)

The Foxwell's run $150 USD or less (99 from Amazon UK) and considering that some U.S. mechanics charge $100 or more for scanning and resetting it pays for itself the 1st time you use it.

Battery voltage is truly the biggest pain in the ass with BMW's so make sure it gets load tested not just a voltage check.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk
__________________
"When the Team Chief said.... You're trapped in a hole with nothing but a goat and a slinky, what do you do? Stubby said, I'm not sure but it won't end well for the goat...." ~(Overheard) Last day, Phase 3, Q Course
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2020, 11:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 178
c-bass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_5 View Post
Unfortunately I do not have any of the scanners you indicated. The ones I have doesn't read those codes. I do have ability of checking my voltage with my current scanner so Ill see if I can check that tomorrow. Im really debating if I want to pick up a Inpa scanner but how much do those go for?

How do I check ride height sensors?
If you have an "old" laptop then I would suggest you get yourself an ODB cable from amazon/ebay and the rest is just downloading and installing the BMW software.

I think that's the most cost effective route and gives you the best diagnostics.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2020, 04:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 299
Johnny_5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVR View Post
I'd start with the simple stuff first... check the battery, alternator charge level.... these cars seriously have a brain fart when the electrics aren't being fed...
Yea going to check that later today with my scanner. I might go over to a Autozone and see if they can check it with there system to double check.
__________________
2004 X5 4.4i 202k on odometer
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2020, 04:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 299
Johnny_5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryalon View Post
The tire pressure monitor uses and wheel speed senses to calculate the tire pressure variance. You need to get a scanner that can read the abs codes. You can also check the wheel speed sensors using a dvm or scope.
that just started ever since i added more air to the tires. Ill be double check that later today. My scanner has ABS capability so would it read those speed sensors?
__________________
2004 X5 4.4i 202k on odometer
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 299
Johnny_5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EODguy View Post
I recommend the Foxwell NT-510 or NT-520 as they are very easy to use. (If my dumbass can use it anybody can)

The Foxwell's run $150 USD or less (99 from Amazon UK) and considering that some U.S. mechanics charge $100 or more for scanning and resetting it pays for itself the 1st time you use it.

Battery voltage is truly the biggest pain in the ass with BMW's so make sure it gets load tested not just a voltage check.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk
Ill look into those two. Im sure with Black Friday right around the corner I can probably find a sale on those. Would be good to have. Sucks my scanner can read everything else just not those codes.

I was even debating on the INPA so might look into those a little further as well
__________________
2004 X5 4.4i 202k on odometer
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:17 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.