Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-20-2021, 07:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Posts: 46
aheckenast is on a distinguished road
The steering lock is part of the housing itself, just a spring with a piece that pushes up against the turn turn between the ignition switch side & the lock cylinder side. It's possible that the shaft mechanism is starting to bind from wear etc. Preventing key rotation at times.

If I was at work today I could take a pic of my old for you I saved. I'm not back until tomorrow unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #22  
Old 08-20-2021, 08:08 PM
Auto Parts Guy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 118
Auto Parts Guy is on a distinguished road
That would be helpful for sure. If you don't mind, please do!
Seems that somehow the steering wheel lock also operates this little piece just inside the ignition, and that little piece is what prevents the key from going in. I'll post some pics of what I'm talking about in a few. Somehow the 2 things are linked. Look inside your own X5 ignition when you have a chance and you'll better see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheckenast View Post
The steering lock is part of the housing itself, just a spring with a piece that pushes up against the turn turn between the ignition switch side & the lock cylinder side. It's possible that the shaft mechanism is starting to bind from wear etc. Preventing key rotation at times.

If I was at work today I could take a pic of my old for you I saved. I'm not back until tomorrow unfortunately.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 e39 M5 Titanium on Black
2006 e53 M54 Titanium on Black
2007 e83 Black on Black Sport pkg
2004 Avalanche 2500 lifted 4.88 gears
1994 jacked up Jeep
1995 4 door Yukon
1987 GMC lifted short bed on tons
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-20-2021, 08:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Posts: 46
aheckenast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
That would be helpful for sure. If you don't mind, please do!

Seems that somehow the steering wheel lock also operates this little piece just inside the ignition, and that little piece is what prevents the key from going in. I'll post some pics of what I'm talking about in a few. Somehow the 2 things are linked. Look inside your own X5 ignition when you have a chance and you'll better see what I mean.
Looks like I remembered it a bit incorrectly. The mechanism rotating shaft that links to the steering lock is within the housing. The spring part pushes the center piece up against the steering shaft to lock. Eitherway it sounds like you need a new housing.

Here is a pic of one off ebay that you can see it:

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-20-2021, 08:14 PM
Auto Parts Guy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 118
Auto Parts Guy is on a distinguished road
The piece with the red arrow is what prevents the key from going in.

Second pic is same pic but without arrow. Key will not go in. Must lock steering wheel to release that piece.

Third pic, the piece isn't all the way out, key can still be inserted if you jiggle it in, even if steering wheel doesn't lock.

But.. If the piece is blocking the ignition like the second pic, you MUST wiggle the steering wheel until it locks (sometimes 10-15 min) in order to get the key in. I hope that explanation makes sense.

That 15 minutes with a wife and 2 kids in the car trying to explain to her what's wrong is not a pleasant situation. Take my word for it.
Attached Images
   
__________________
2000 e39 M5 Titanium on Black
2006 e53 M54 Titanium on Black
2007 e83 Black on Black Sport pkg
2004 Avalanche 2500 lifted 4.88 gears
1994 jacked up Jeep
1995 4 door Yukon
1987 GMC lifted short bed on tons

Last edited by Auto Parts Guy; 08-20-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-20-2021, 08:20 PM
Auto Parts Guy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 118
Auto Parts Guy is on a distinguished road
Very interesting. I guess I would need new keys if I replace that housing? Probably have to remove the column too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheckenast View Post
Looks like I remembered it a bit incorrectly. The mechanism rotating shaft that links to the steering lock is within the housing. The spring part pushes the center piece up against the steering shaft to lock. Eitherway it sounds like you need a new housing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 e39 M5 Titanium on Black
2006 e53 M54 Titanium on Black
2007 e83 Black on Black Sport pkg
2004 Avalanche 2500 lifted 4.88 gears
1994 jacked up Jeep
1995 4 door Yukon
1987 GMC lifted short bed on tons
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-20-2021, 08:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Posts: 46
aheckenast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
Very interesting. I guess I would need new keys if I replace that housing? Probably have to remove the column too?
Hard to tell without seeing the cylinder & housing seperated but one or the other is causing that piece in the keyhole to stick. Best bet is a new housing(steering lock) & ignition cylinder. The lock cylinder if ordered from dealer will already be coded to your keys cut pattern based off the VIN so you shouldn't need new keys or anything programming. I did this job myself on my e53 3.0i two years ago for a different issue.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-20-2021, 08:52 PM
Auto Parts Guy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 118
Auto Parts Guy is on a distinguished road
I see what you're saying, and makes sense to me. I think it's this part, I'll find out from the local dealer here. Hope it can be removed without having to remove the whole column. And where does that cable go, the other end of the lock?
Attached Images
 
__________________
2000 e39 M5 Titanium on Black
2006 e53 M54 Titanium on Black
2007 e83 Black on Black Sport pkg
2004 Avalanche 2500 lifted 4.88 gears
1994 jacked up Jeep
1995 4 door Yukon
1987 GMC lifted short bed on tons
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-20-2021, 08:58 PM
Auto Parts Guy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 118
Auto Parts Guy is on a distinguished road
FCP has it too.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...x5-32321095824
__________________
2000 e39 M5 Titanium on Black
2006 e53 M54 Titanium on Black
2007 e83 Black on Black Sport pkg
2004 Avalanche 2500 lifted 4.88 gears
1994 jacked up Jeep
1995 4 door Yukon
1987 GMC lifted short bed on tons
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-20-2021, 09:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,622
80stech is on a distinguished road
I think the cable goes to the shifter and might very well be part of the problem.
__________________
1988 325is (purchased new) sold
2004 X5 3.0 2005 X3 2.5
2008 X5 3.0 (new to me)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-20-2021, 09:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Posts: 46
aheckenast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80stech View Post
I think the cable goes to the shifter and might very well be part of the problem.
Good point. I didn't think of park interlock system, might be related to this issue. My X5 is a standard trans so I didn't have to deal with that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.