Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-11-2024, 10:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: PA
Posts: 47
Optllizer is on a distinguished road
X5 3.0i driveshaft splines?

Hi, I have a 06 BMW X5 3.0i. I started noticing this clicking noise while shifting between reverse and drive. after some research im paranoid it might be the driveshaft splines and im on borrowed time. What could this sound be? The car drives smoothly, shifts good and no noticeable vibrations.

YT Video from under car front driver side.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 05-11-2024, 04:44 PM
wpoll's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Island, New Zealand
Posts: 4,680
wpoll will become famous soon enough
Sounds more like the rear CV joint needs grease. The balls in the rear CV (at the rear end of the centre drive shaft where it joins the rear diff) can get dry and rattle with a drive direction change.
__________________
Wayne
2005 BMW X5 3.0d (b 02/05)
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar (b 06/01)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-2024, 06:02 PM
Henn28's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 757
Henn28 is on a distinguished road
I’ve got a similar sound…like hitting a golf ball with a metal driver when selecting fwd and rev. Been troubleshooting it for a while and as part of other projects I have changed the rear driveshaft CV joint, all Guibos and the center bearing support. I added longer splines a few years ago too.

Nothing has worked unfortunately. I think it has to be either the rear driveshaft u joint, which seems very tight, but I can’t put hundreds of foot lbs on it. Or the transfer case. I’ve got a transfer case chain project on the horizon, so if that doesn’t work then I think it must be the u joint in the rear driveshaft.

Forgot the rear diff rebuild, that’s new too, with no change in the “ping”. I don’t think that u joint can be changed out or repaired, and new driveshafts are expensive.
__________________
Current
Original owner 2002 E53 X5 4.4i to 4.6i swap
1993 Mopar 318 Jeep Grand Cherokee - original owner
2015 V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee - the nice car for my wife
Former
1972 Audi Fox
1986 Saab 900S
1996 BMW Z3
1998 BMW E36 M3 Sedan
2004 BMW E46 M3
2006 Audi A3 Quatro
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-12-2024, 01:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: PA
Posts: 47
Optllizer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
Sounds more like the rear CV joint needs grease. The balls in the rear CV (at the rear end of the centre drive shaft where it joins the rear diff) can get dry and rattle with a drive direction change.
That does make sense because I sometimes hear same noise it going over bumps or just taking off from a stop sign.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Henn28 View Post
I’ve got a similar sound…like hitting a golf ball with a metal driver when selecting fwd and rev. Been troubleshooting it for a while and as part of other projects I have changed the rear driveshaft CV joint, all Guibos and the center bearing support. I added longer splines a few years ago too.

Nothing has worked unfortunately. I think it has to be either the rear driveshaft u joint, which seems very tight, but I can’t put hundreds of foot lbs on it. Or the transfer case. I’ve got a transfer case chain project on the horizon, so if that doesn’t work then I think it must be the u joint in the rear driveshaft.

Forgot the rear diff rebuild, that’s new too, with no change in the “ping”. I don’t think that u joint can be changed out or repaired, and new driveshafts are expensive.
I hope you figure it out. Sounds annoying to deal with. How long have you heard the noise?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-12-2024, 05:12 PM
Henn28's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 757
Henn28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optllizer View Post
That does make sense because I sometimes hear same noise it going over bumps or just taking off from a stop sign.




I hope you figure it out. Sounds annoying to deal with. How long have you heard the noise?
Itís been going on for a few years in my e53. Always when selecting fwd or rec, but sometimes now when at slower speeds and lifting the gas or accelerating.

I need to copy you and get my head down to the pavement and look/listen while my wife selects fwd and rev.
__________________
Current
Original owner 2002 E53 X5 4.4i to 4.6i swap
1993 Mopar 318 Jeep Grand Cherokee - original owner
2015 V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee - the nice car for my wife
Former
1972 Audi Fox
1986 Saab 900S
1996 BMW Z3
1998 BMW E36 M3 Sedan
2004 BMW E46 M3
2006 Audi A3 Quatro
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2024, 11:08 AM
srmmmm's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,086
srmmmm is on a distinguished road
With the transmission in park and emergency brake off, get either the rear wheels off the ground so the front drive shaft cannot turn, then try to turn the rear one by hand. If it moves, you've got a stretched transfer case chain.


If it doesn't move, elevate only one wheel at a time and try to turn the wheel to determine if you have a worn axle CV. There are no U-Joints on the front driveshaft, so I would start with the front wheels, one at a time.


I never replaced a transfer case chain in over 300,000 miles, but did go through a set of front axle shafts at 60,000 miles when the previous owner had ignored torn CV boots.
__________________
2016 F15 x35i
2014 F32 428i


2004 E46 325i sold at 123,600 miles
2002 E53 3.0 sold at 388,801 miles
2001 E46 325i sold at 66,000 miles


1970 Firebird Under restoration
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.