Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-07-2018, 06:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1
webbcar is on a distinguished road
X5 30d

Towing a double horse float with 2 horses with horse gear and 5 people. We average 14.5 L/100km. Mostly open road driving at 90km/hr
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #62  
Old 03-07-2018, 07:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 450
snik is on a distinguished road
Wow. So BMW just said screw the hitch cutout on the E70s on?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Black on cream 04 4.8iS
Black on black 330i ZHP auto
Imola on black 01 M3
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Skyline's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 656
Skyline is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snik View Post
Wow. So BMW just said screw the hitch cutout on the E70s on?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's no big deal to make the cut-out neatly. But as I mentioned earlier, there's no need to make a cut out at all if you get the Execuhitch.
__________________
2008 BMW X5 4.8i Sport
2004 BMW 325xi
2000 BMW 528i 5sp
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PNW
Posts: 424
Entropy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
It's no big deal to make the cut-out neatly. But as I mentioned earlier, there's no need to make a cut out at all if you get the Execuhitch.
Seems pretty spendy compared to the Curt Mfg hitch?
__________________
2007 E70 4.8i
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Skyline's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 656
Skyline is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Seems pretty spendy compared to the Curt Mfg hitch?
The extra $332 to not spoil the looks of the car with a big hole in the bumper cover were worth it to me. Since I'm only towing a small percentage of time, the hitch is fully hidden when not in use. You make your own call.

Also, I don't know the actual rating of the Curt hitch, but the Execuhitch is the BMW dealer installed option in Europe, and they rate it at 7,700lbs. The hitch that's installed in the US dealers is rated at 7,500lbs. Why there's this difference, I have no clue, but it's not uncommon in Europe to see compact cars towing seemingly impossibly large caravans, so maybe they just have different standards. When you buy from a third party, do you have any real assurance as to the actual rating of the hitch? Granted the car has a certain tow capability declared, but that assumes the hitch is properly designed for the car. The factory hitch available in the US from BMW is much closer to the price of the Execuhitch. I can not explain why BMW uses a different style hitch in the US and Europe, but the Execuhitch is a little more tricky to mount the ball assembly, (easy once you get the hang of it,) so maybe they figured they could not trust stupid Americans to do it right. It also requires you to reach under the car to get at the receiver lock and hand lever; so perhaps this was a consideration as well.
__________________
2008 BMW X5 4.8i Sport
2004 BMW 325xi
2000 BMW 528i 5sp
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: on the edge of existence
Posts: 1,324
blue dragon will become famous soon enough
Jesus, you keep saying that and its not so. Westfalia makes the BMW hitch in Europe
https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/en/company/
__________________


| '09 E70 X5 35D - Work horse | '17 F48 X1 MSport - Wife's daily | '17 F30 340i MSport - My daily |
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-07-2018, 07:11 PM
Crowz's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,410
Crowz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Jesus, you keep saying that and its not so. Westfalia makes the BMW hitch in Europe
https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/en/company/
That's the one Im going with.
__________________
Just BMW's - All cars and trucks was two pages long
1994 318is
1997 528i
2000 323i
2001 X5 3.0 auto
2005 X5 3.0 auto
2013 X5 xdrive35 Turbo
More are at my website

Aftermarket E53 Radio Install
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 450
snik is on a distinguished road
X5 towing experience and fuel economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Jesus, you keep saying that and its not so. Westfalia makes the BMW hitch in Europe
https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/en/company/


Yep. Looks just like the OEM one sitting in my garage waiting to get mounted, for the most part.
https://www.westfalia-automotive.com...111-303137.pdf

Thanks for the link. I now have instructions.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Black on cream 04 4.8iS
Black on black 330i ZHP auto
Imola on black 01 M3
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: PNW
Posts: 424
Entropy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
The extra $332 to not spoil the looks of the car with a big hole in the bumper cover were worth it to me. Since I'm only towing a small percentage of time, the hitch is fully hidden when not in use. You make your own call.

Also, I don't know the actual rating of the Curt hitch, but the Execuhitch is the BMW dealer installed option in Europe, and they rate it at 7,700lbs. The hitch that's installed in the US dealers is rated at 7,500lbs. Why there's this difference, I have no clue, but it's not uncommon in Europe to see compact cars towing seemingly impossibly large caravans, so maybe they just have different standards. When you buy from a third party, do you have any real assurance as to the actual rating of the hitch? Granted the car has a certain tow capability declared, but that assumes the hitch is properly designed for the car. The factory hitch available in the US from BMW is much closer to the price of the Execuhitch. I can not explain why BMW uses a different style hitch in the US and Europe, but the Execuhitch is a little more tricky to mount the ball assembly, (easy once you get the hang of it,) so maybe they figured they could not trust stupid Americans to do it right. It also requires you to reach under the car to get at the receiver lock and hand lever; so perhaps this was a consideration as well.
The Curt hitch sits below the bumper. No cutout, but you can see the receiver hanging down below the bumper.
__________________
2007 E70 4.8i
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-24-2018, 05:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 21
bono is on a distinguished road
To be precise - Westfalia and Oris make EURO hitches for BMW. Appears that Oris merged with Bosal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Jesus, you keep saying that and its not so. Westfalia makes the BMW hitch in Europe
https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/en/company/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.