Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-31-2021, 05:22 PM
ard ard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 6,703
ard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutscheAutos View Post
I have read many posts and appreciate this forum immensely, but just realized that I have never updated this post. While some cars on auction are a basket case, some are not. I cleaned up the fuse panel in the trunk (with contact cleaner, lol), repaired the faulty CAN wiring splice underneath which seems to be common, replaced the battery and fried radio components with used parts (PL6 / ULFMULF2 / Telematics Module and DLP Module), changed all the fluids/filters and have been driving it ever since. I adore my E70 and am so glad I took a gamble on it. Best 5K ever spent.

Just saw this. Congrats


As the post above says..>WHERE was the CAN bus damage? How did you ID this, was it a damaged factory splice or someone else spliced it??
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #12  
Old 04-01-2021, 10:25 PM
DeutscheAutos's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NC
Posts: 11
DeutscheAutos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by randywei View Post
Where was the faulty CAN wiring splice underneath? My 2013 E70 X5 has been experiencing some KCAN faults for a while. The FRM module was recently replaced under warranty, but the KCAN faults continued and recently while I was driving it it started exhibiting odd behavior as if the FRM was failing again. Had the FRM module inspected by the dealership, but they confirmed it's functioning.

I found this article online that points to some common areas where some KCAN wires may short. Was one of these areas the locations of your wire shorting problem?

https://www.underhoodservice.com/bmw...ous-locations/
My main issue was a faulty CAN wiring splice which was an old dealer splice below the rear fuse box.

CAN faults near the steering column, center console, front passenger seat rail, passenger foot well and front sub woofers are common but that was not my issue. I will check those areas eventually but I recommend checking the faulty dealer splice as it cleared up the most serious faults that I experienced. If memory serves there is a post here that addresses that very issue.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
__________________
BMW X5 (E70) N62
BMW X5 (F15) N55
Porsche 964
BMW X1 (F48) Sold
Mercedes SL 500 (R129) Sold
Porsche Boxster S (987) Sold
VW Gti (Mk 4 - 337) Sold
VW Gti (Mk3) Sold
VW Gti (Mk2) Sold
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-01-2021, 10:38 PM
DeutscheAutos's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NC
Posts: 11
DeutscheAutos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Just saw this. Congrats


As the post above says..>WHERE was the CAN bus damage? How did you ID this, was it a damaged factory splice or someone else spliced it??
Thanks. It was a bad dealer splice below the rear fuse panel. I noticed it when I was cleaning the fuse panel / replacing the transfer case module.
__________________
BMW X5 (E70) N62
BMW X5 (F15) N55
Porsche 964
BMW X1 (F48) Sold
Mercedes SL 500 (R129) Sold
Porsche Boxster S (987) Sold
VW Gti (Mk 4 - 337) Sold
VW Gti (Mk3) Sold
VW Gti (Mk2) Sold
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-01-2021, 11:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 15
randywei is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutscheAutos View Post
My main issue was a faulty CAN wiring splice which was an old dealer splice below the rear fuse box.

CAN faults near the steering column, center console, front passenger seat rail, passenger foot well and front sub woofers are common but that was not my issue. I will check those areas eventually but I recommend checking the faulty dealer splice as it cleared up the most serious faults that I experienced. If memory serves there is a post here that addresses that very issue.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for this info. Will pass it along to the tech.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-08-2021, 01:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 15
randywei is on a distinguished road
Dealership is still looking at my X5 trying to root cause the KCAN faults. I chose to take the car to the dealership instead of an indy because the FRM module was replaced under warranty in Feb so I was hoping that maybe the tech screwed up on the install or maybe that there was some wiring harness fault covered under warranty or something.

So far no luck. The foreman has been investigating various suspect areas (supposedly per BMW engineering's recommendation) and hasn't found anything yet. He checked under the rear fuse box, but didn't find anything odd. He's also been checking each of the relevant KCAN modules and no issues found with the modules yet.

Last update I got was that the foreman had removed one of the seats and was checking the wiring underneath, but found nothing that looked wrong.

These KCAN faults (persistent faults are D904, E5C4, D2C4, DE84) have been around for a while and seemed to be benign, but only in recent months did they start causing odd behaviors like christmas light dash and turn signals/dome lights not working. But it's intermittent and the next day the car will be fine.

Was hoping replacing the FRM was the root cause as symptoms pointed to FRM failure, but clearly it wasn't (although it was deemed the FRM had gone bad so good it was replaced under warranty). I've been forwarding any info I can find online regarding E70 KCAN faults to the dealership.

Very annoying.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-21-2021, 04:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 15
randywei is on a distinguished road
Dealership got back to me and they finally found the problem. It was indeed the splice in the rear right quarter panel. They said that the wiring in the splice became disconnected so it was an open circuit. They re-soldered the wiring and then the KCAN faults disappeared.

Looks like it was the same root cause as the OP - splice underneath the fuse box in the rear right quarter panel.

Trying to get the work covered under a TSB/SIB or something, hopefully.


OP - Do you know if there was some TSB/SIB for this particular splice?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-21-2021, 06:17 PM
crystalworks's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SA, TX
Posts: 6,373
crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by randywei View Post
Dealership got back to me and they finally found the problem. It was indeed the splice in the rear right quarter panel. They said that the wiring in the splice became disconnected so it was an open circuit. They re-soldered the wiring and then the KCAN faults disappeared.

Looks like it was the same root cause as the OP - splice underneath the fuse box in the rear right quarter panel.

Trying to get the work covered under a TSB/SIB or something, hopefully.


OP - Do you know if there was some TSB/SIB for this particular splice?
Good updates from both the OP and yourself. Is this splice in every E70 or is it related to some sort of package/option?
__________________
2005 X5 4.4i Build 04/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, Pano, Sport (Purchased 06/14 w/ 109,000 miles) (Sold 8/15 w/121,000 miles)


2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-21-2021, 08:21 PM
DeutscheAutos's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: NC
Posts: 11
DeutscheAutos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by randywei View Post
Dealership got back to me and they finally found the problem. It was indeed the splice in the rear right quarter panel. They said that the wiring in the splice became disconnected so it was an open circuit. They re-soldered the wiring and then the KCAN faults disappeared.

Looks like it was the same root cause as the OP - splice underneath the fuse box in the rear right quarter panel.

Trying to get the work covered under a TSB/SIB or something, hopefully.


OP - Do you know if there was some TSB/SIB for this particular splice?
Great news! I am not sure if there is a TSB or SIB for that splice but there certainly should be.

So glad you were able to sort it out and time to enjoy the X5 now without frustration.
__________________
BMW X5 (E70) N62
BMW X5 (F15) N55
Porsche 964
BMW X1 (F48) Sold
Mercedes SL 500 (R129) Sold
Porsche Boxster S (987) Sold
VW Gti (Mk 4 - 337) Sold
VW Gti (Mk3) Sold
VW Gti (Mk2) Sold
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-23-2021, 10:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 15
randywei is on a distinguished road
Foreman told me that the splice below the rear quarter fuse box is common to all E70s. No TSB/SIB for this area, but I agree that there should be!!



Unfortunately, I discovered a new issue after picking up the X5 yesterday. It is indeed KCAN fault free now (finally!), but I found one persistent fault code complaining about Seat Control when I read out the code with Carly.

9ED7 - Error normalization SLV

No errors on the dash or iDrive.

However, I discovered that when I tried adjusting the seat position for the front passenger seat then things started going south. Once I started adjusting the seat position the iDrive complained about a Seat Position Malfunction.

Seat Position
Seat position not detected for proper restraint system operation. Have the system checked by the nearest BMW center.


And then a few more codes pop up when I read out via OBD:

9EA8 - No hall pulses SLV / SMBF no hall pulses SLV
9EAA - No hall pulses LBV / No hall pulses LNV / SMBF no hall pulses LNV
9ED7 - Error normalization SLV

If I clear the faults and then don't try adjusting the passenger seat position, then iDrive doesn't complain and there's only the 9ED7 persistent fault. The moment I try adjusting the passenger seat position the same problem occurs.


I'm wondering if the dealership didn't properly connect back something when they put my car back together. I know they took out seats and everything in order to inspect all of the wiring harness to look for open/shorts. Gonna have a chat with them today.


So close to being able to enjoy the X5 error free, yet so far...I bought this car for my wife and she's getting annoyed it's always in the shop.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-26-2021, 08:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 15
randywei is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by randywei View Post
Foreman told me that the splice below the rear quarter fuse box is common to all E70s. No TSB/SIB for this area, but I agree that there should be!!



Unfortunately, I discovered a new issue after picking up the X5 yesterday. It is indeed KCAN fault free now (finally!), but I found one persistent fault code complaining about Seat Control when I read out the code with Carly.

9ED7 - Error normalization SLV

No errors on the dash or iDrive.

However, I discovered that when I tried adjusting the seat position for the front passenger seat then things started going south. Once I started adjusting the seat position the iDrive complained about a Seat Position Malfunction.

Seat Position
Seat position not detected for proper restraint system operation. Have the system checked by the nearest BMW center.


And then a few more codes pop up when I read out via OBD:

9EA8 - No hall pulses SLV / SMBF no hall pulses SLV
9EAA - No hall pulses LBV / No hall pulses LNV / SMBF no hall pulses LNV
9ED7 - Error normalization SLV

If I clear the faults and then don't try adjusting the passenger seat position, then iDrive doesn't complain and there's only the 9ED7 persistent fault. The moment I try adjusting the passenger seat position the same problem occurs.


I'm wondering if the dealership didn't properly connect back something when they put my car back together. I know they took out seats and everything in order to inspect all of the wiring harness to look for open/shorts. Gonna have a chat with them today.


So close to being able to enjoy the X5 error free, yet so far...I bought this car for my wife and she's getting annoyed it's always in the shop.
Finally the X5 is now fault code free!! Took the car back to dealership this morning so they could "check their work". Got a text early afternoon saying they fixed the passenger seat position fault issue - the passenger seat module needed re-encoding apparently.

Double checked with my Carly while at the dealership and played around with the seats, lights, etc. and sure enough no faults! FINALLY fault code free!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.