Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-06-2020, 09:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5
deboelduro is on a distinguished road
BMW X5 e70 4.8i Valve cover gaskets replament

Hello there fellow members and happy New Years. Iím in the process of replacing valve cover gaskets for my e70 X5 4.8i. Any doís and donít? Anything I should watch out for ? Any tips on removing and reinstalling the valve covers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 01-06-2020, 09:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 154
Baby Unicorn Taco is on a distinguished road
BMW X5 e70 4.8i Valve cover gaskets replament

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboelduro View Post
Hello there fellow members and happy New Years. Iím in the process of replacing valve cover gaskets for my e70 X5 4.8i. Any doís and donít? Anything I should watch out for ? Any tips on removing and reinstalling the valve covers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys


Itís all about making room. The eccentric shaft sensors are the trickiest part. They have little pointy connector ears and are very brittle. Unless you make plenty of room to lift and maneuver the valve covers off they can easily break and cause issues. I have replaced them on mine. Take your time. The rubber grommets at the valve cover bolts will be brittle and will break. The pieces can fall into the engine and cause major damage so make sure you have and find all the pieces. Use new bolts. Donít reuse the old ones. Also itís only about 30 minutes of extra time on each side to replace the timing covers. I recommend you do those too. Also the bolts for the valve covers are different sizes so pay attention. Long bolts go on top. Short ones on the bottom. Good idea to replace all o-rings you come across.


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-06-2020, 09:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5
deboelduro is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Unicorn Taco View Post
Itís all about making room. The eccentric shaft sensors are the trickiest part. They have little pointy connector ears and are very brittle. Unless you make plenty of room to lift and maneuver the valve covers off they can easily break and cause issues. I have replaced them on mine. Take your time. The rubber grommets at the valve cover bolts will be brittle and will break. The pieces can fall into the engine and cause major damage so make sure you have and find all the pieces. Use new bolts. Donít reuse the old ones. Also itís only about 30 minutes of extra time on each side to replace the timing covers. I recommend you do those too. Also the bolts for the valve covers are different sizes so pay attention. Long bolts go on top. Short ones on the bottom. Good idea to replace all o-rings you come across.


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com
Thanks for the pointers man. I will take my time and be very careful with everything. Iím so use to working on Hondaís and Toyotaís. Bmws are a whole different animal. Let me ask u this. How long time wise did it take to replacing the valve covers ? Thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-06-2020, 10:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 154
Baby Unicorn Taco is on a distinguished road
BMW X5 e70 4.8i Valve cover gaskets replament

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboelduro View Post
Thanks for the pointers man. I will take my time and be very careful with everything. Iím so use to working on Hondaís and Toyotaís. Bmws are a whole different animal. Let me ask u this. How long time wise did it take to replacing the valve covers ? Thanks again


I had limited experience before replacing them. I only had an hour or two at a time to work on it. When I did my valve covers I also replaced timing covers, transfer pipe, water pump, oil cooler alternator bracket, and some hoses. It took me many hours but I had zero experience. I studied a lot, used forum and video help. Drivers side was easier for me. If I did them again it would take me a day. I had to zip tie a lot of hoses up, move the battery cable out of the way, etc. there are a few tricky parts to remove like the back ignition coil on the drivers side. Iíll try to post a few pictures but this app never lets me upload them. I took a hundred for my huge job.

This is my adventure on another forum. You might find it helpful with lots of pictures. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...topics/1313059


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2020, 10:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5
deboelduro is on a distinguished road
Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Unicorn Taco View Post
I had limited experience before replacing them. I only had an hour or two at a time to work on it. When I did my valve covers I also replaced timing covers, transfer pipe, water pump, oil cooler alternator bracket, and some hoses. It took me many hours but I had zero experience. I studied a lot, used forum and video help. Drivers side was easier for me. If I did them again it would take me a day. I had to zip tie a lot of hoses up, move the battery cable out of the way, etc. there are a few tricky parts to remove like the back ignition coil on the drivers side. Iíll try to post a few pictures but this app never lets me upload them. I took a hundred for my huge job.

This is my adventure on another forum. You might find it helpful with lots of pictures. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...topics/1313059

Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com
Huge thanks man. Yes if u could plz upload a few pictures I would greatly appreciate it. My email is [email protected] if is easier u can send them there. I been looking around the forums and watching videos on YouTube. These vehicles u have to remove a million things just to get to the parts of replacing. Thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-06-2020, 10:32 PM
ard ard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, California
Posts: 5,767
ard is on a distinguished road
it is pretty common for people to get codes after this job...due to breaking crap as B.U.T. points out. People dont realize they break something, button it up.....tears...


Just a warning.



GL!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-06-2020, 10:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 154
Baby Unicorn Taco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboelduro View Post
Huge thanks man. Yes if u could plz upload a few pictures I would greatly appreciate it. My email is [email protected] if is easier u can send them there. I been looking around the forums and watching videos on YouTube. These vehicles u have to remove a million things just to get to the parts of replacing. Thanks again


I edited my post to add my very long thread of mine from another forum. Check it out. It should help. Lots of pictures.


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-06-2020, 10:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 154
Baby Unicorn Taco is on a distinguished road
BMW X5 e70 4.8i Valve cover gaskets replament

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
it is pretty common for people to get codes after this job...due to breaking crap as B.U.T. points out. People dont realize they break something, button it up.....tears...


Just a warning.



GL!


This is very true. I spent an hour fishing out broken grommet pieces. Used long q tips with a little grease on the tip. I was lucky to not have any codes after all of this work except I did miss connecting the fuel vent pipe which cause da lean condition due to a vacuum leak. Easy fix but annoying to find. I recommend tons of pictures, ziplocs with handwritten labels, and organization for whatever you do.


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-06-2020, 10:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5
deboelduro is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Unicorn Taco View Post
This is very true. I spent an hour fishing out broken grommet pieces. Used long q tips with a little grease on the tip. I was lucky to not have any codes after all of this work except I did miss connecting the fuel vent pipe which cause da lean condition due to a vacuum leak. Easy fix but annoying to find. I recommend tons of pictures, ziplocs with handwritten labels, and organization for whatever you do.


Sent from my iPhone using Xoutpost.com
I saw that link you uploaded. Iím definitely going to check that out before I tackle the job on Thursday. Thanks for the pointers man
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-14-2020, 03:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13
werdn is on a distinguished road
I did it during the past summer on Bank 1 (passenger side). It wast too bad, as I replaced the coolant pipe in the valley pan 2 summers ago, so I am used to taking the intake off. But it just took time to slowly pry the gasket off and setting it back. Along the way I also changed all the spark plugs.

I was not able to do Bank 2 because I could not remove coil 8 (closest to driver). But this may be because my wife drove it into a tree in the parking lot when we first bought the car back in 07
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:36 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.