Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 3
ceozmo is on a distinguished road
Extended warranty for 08' 4.8

Was wondering if I should purchase the extended warranty for my '08 4.8. Just took delivery on it one month ago. Dealer giving me $1000 off of the following prices:

7 yr 100K: $4798
6 yr 100K: $4308
6 yr 100K: $3227

Had a '00 528iT prior to this and nothing major had gone wrong. Had 101K when we traded it in for the truck. The E70 has so much more (that can go wrong), so we are contemplating purchasing the extended warranty (through BMW). We've already purchased the extended maintenance.

Here's what we've got:

Jet blk/blk Nevada/dark bamboo
Sport pkg with 20in wheels
Premium pkg
Tech pkg
Premium sound pkg
Rear climate pkg
Cold weather pkg
Rear entertainment
3rd row
Comfort access
Ipod adapter
Auto tailgate
Satellite radio

I'm really new to this forum---what a great resource for info!

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 PM
motordavid's Avatar
RetiredBum & Semi-RenaissanceMan
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mtns of Western NC, & SW FLA
Posts: 16,758
motordavid will become famous soon enoughmotordavid will become famous soon enough
I'd pass on both, for now: who can predict that you will have that car
in 2013 when your current oem warr. expires?

Why shuck out that kind of dough now; you can grab the 2OP deal
at end of your new warranty period. (That assumes BMW will still
offer it...)

Just my 2Cts.
GL,mD
__________________
Ol'UncleMotor
From the Home Base of Pro Bono Punditry
and 50 Cent Opins...

Our Mtn Scenes, Car Pics, and Road Trip Pics on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4527537...7627297418250/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4527537...7627332480833/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My X Page




Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-02-2008, 07:01 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: WNC
Posts: 6,011
AzNMpower32 is on a distinguished road
Buy any extensions towards the end of the new car warranty period. That way, you can be sure of how much trouble your X5 will be, and whether you decide to keep it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 PM
rh71's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LI | NY
Posts: 3,921
rh71 is on a distinguished road
I was thinking about the same thing and people are saying why spend the money now..? Well because it will cost more to buy the warranty the more you wait (years & mileage). Is it still a bad decision? Can't really tell how much more.

I plan to keep the vehicle for as long as possible unless it becomes a junker in the next 4 years... which is very unlikely. I still have my other vehicle for 13 years and counting.
__________________
'08 X5 3.0si - Alpine White / Saddle Brown interior
Specs: Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Comfort Access, Aero Kit, Style 433 staggered 20s on Conti DWS
Mods: Carbon 35 tint, LED angel eyes, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, H&R 20mm/25mm spacers, clear reflectors, gunsmoke-tinted taillights
Coded: Digital speedo, windows/sunroof/tailgate close via keyfob

X5 pics at Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-2008, 11:12 PM
y5choi's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 627
y5choi is on a distinguished road
if it's a complete coverage (ie, BMW assist, break pads/routers, windshield wipers, stolen vehicle compensation etc) then get it. it might be worth it. If its just power-train (the regular warranty) then i wouldn't pay that much
__________________
2007 4.8i Space Grey, 20", black nevada interior
All options with no 3rd row, rear entertainment,
handling pkg.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2008, 12:37 AM
X5FX's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,472
X5FX is on a distinguished road
The price is the same regardless of miles/age. BMW offers the extension at the same price at anytime as long as you are still under the original warranty.

Of course 5 years from now the price will be higher...but why let the dealer earn interest on your cash for 5 years. Wait till just before your warranty expires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71
I was thinking about the same thing and people are saying why spend the money now..? Well because it will cost more to buy the warranty the more you wait (years & mileage). Is it still a bad decision? Can't really tell how much more.

I plan to keep the vehicle for as long as possible unless it becomes a junker in the next 4 years... which is very unlikely. I still have my other vehicle for 13 years and counting.
__________________
2013 X5 35i M Sport
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-2008, 01:41 PM
BGM's Avatar
BGM BGM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,820
BGM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceozmo
Was wondering if I should purchase the extended warranty for my '08 4.8. Just took delivery on it one month ago. Dealer giving me $1000 off of the following prices:

7 yr 100K: $4798
6 yr 100K: $4308
6 yr 100K: $3227

Had a '00 528iT prior to this and nothing major had gone wrong. Had 101K when we traded it in for the truck. The E70 has so much more (that can go wrong), so we are contemplating purchasing the extended warranty (through BMW). We've already purchased the extended maintenance.

Here's what we've got:

Jet blk/blk Nevada/dark bamboo
Sport pkg with 20in wheels
Premium pkg
Tech pkg
Premium sound pkg
Rear climate pkg
Cold weather pkg
Rear entertainment
3rd row
Comfort access
Ipod adapter
Auto tailgate
Satellite radio

I'm really new to this forum---what a great resource for info!

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Congrats on Jet Black--IMO better looking than all the Sapphires you see nowadays. As far as the warranty: I bought an extended warranty a year after bought my '01 e53---I have 80K miles have had no big issues to date so I turned the warranty back in and got a pro-rate on it. You might want to wait a little and see if you have any issues from the start. Otherwise, it's really hard to predict what will happen. You might want to shop some of the online warranty companies to compare prices and coverage vs. the BMW one.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-2008, 03:01 PM
rh71's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LI | NY
Posts: 3,921
rh71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5FX
The price is the same regardless of miles/age. BMW offers the extension at the same price at anytime as long as you are still under the original warranty.

Of course 5 years from now the price will be higher...but why let the dealer earn interest on your cash for 5 years. Wait till just before your warranty expires.
Thx - didn't know that about BMW's warranty. Warrantydirect.com indicates their prices will be higher if I buy it later in the vehicle's life. They are the most reputable as far as claims go so I was planning on going with them. I'm scared of the stealer.

Warrantydirect.com prices @ $0 deductible:
7 yr 100K: $3712
6 yr 100K: $3563
5 yr 100K: $3375

7 yr 75k: $3021 (the deal I'm looking at)

According to their chart https://www.warrantydirect.com/luxury_care.asp# (under best time to buy tab), if I wait till the BMW warranty is almost over, I will be paying $700 more for the same warranty. Buying it next year instead of now would cost me $300 more.
__________________
'08 X5 3.0si - Alpine White / Saddle Brown interior
Specs: Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Comfort Access, Aero Kit, Style 433 staggered 20s on Conti DWS
Mods: Carbon 35 tint, LED angel eyes, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, H&R 20mm/25mm spacers, clear reflectors, gunsmoke-tinted taillights
Coded: Digital speedo, windows/sunroof/tailgate close via keyfob

X5 pics at Flickr

Last edited by rh71; 07-03-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-04-2008, 11:03 PM
soldmystang's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 675
soldmystang is on a distinguished road
IMO the choice should be weighed given the amount of driving you plan on logging.

myself, i have 12k on the clock in 6 months. as such i will be out of warranty in approximately 25 months. as i knew this when i bought the truck, i loaded up on the extended maintenance and warranty.

from what i have been told, the 60k mile area can get expensive.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.