Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2013, 02:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 51
Singh97 is on a distinguished road
Question Help changing my steering wheel!

Hi,
I want to change my sports steering wheel to M steering wheel on my 2011 LCI 35i. Now I have seen many threads talking about how to remove the old wheel but my question is:
1st: What are the consequences of disconnecting the battery?
I mean will I trigger any errors or loose any saved memory due to the battery disconnect? Any precautions I need to follow while disconnecting or connecting it back (I mean other than leaving my trunk open and rolling the windows down)

2nd: I cannot find the exact list of tools required.
I would really like to listen form all the members who did it.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 10-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Napa, CA
Posts: 22
VNYD DOG is on a distinguished road
Hey there, I'm putting the alcantara one on my '08 tomorrow. Dealer quoted me about an hour to do it, so for that piece of mind, I'm paying for it. I think if you go to the Bimmian site and look at their carbon wheel, there's a video showing how to do it. Looks like you just need some small screwdriver to depress the springs holding the airbag unit in place, and then probably a large socket to remove the actual wheel.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 51
Singh97 is on a distinguished road
Stealer quoted me 350 to 400 for the swap. I am not doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNYD DOG View Post
Hey there, I'm putting the alcantara one on my '08 tomorrow. Dealer quoted me about an hour to do it, so for that piece of mind, I'm paying for it. I think if you go to the Bimmian site and look at their carbon wheel, there's a video showing how to do it. Looks like you just need some small screwdriver to depress the springs holding the airbag unit in place, and then probably a large socket to remove the actual wheel.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 51
Singh97 is on a distinguished road
Can anybody chime in to guide me to the batter removal consequences?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Napa, CA
Posts: 22
VNYD DOG is on a distinguished road
Damn that does seem steep. Well my alcantara just arrived today so it's going in tomorrow. I'll try and remember to ask the SA about disconnecting the batt. If I remember correctly, I don't believe there will be any ground shaking consequences.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 197
mavic1010 is on a distinguished road
There are no consequences except that you have to reset the time and date when you reconnect the battery. Just make sure you don't hook up the battery before putting everything back together. If you do, you'll get the airbag light.

It's a simple thing to do. I've done it many times. Take your time and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 51
Singh97 is on a distinguished road
Changed it successfully. removing the airbag was a pain though.
Thanks for the help to everybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavic1010 View Post
There are no consequences except that you have to reset the time and date when you reconnect the battery. Just make sure you don't hook up the battery before putting everything back together. If you do, you'll get the airbag light.

It's a simple thing to do. I've done it many times. Take your time and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 29
SteveGX5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh97 View Post
Changed it successfully. removing the airbag was a pain though.
Thanks for the help to everybody
Is there a DIY for steering wheel replacement? I want to retrofit an M wheel with paddles.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6
2slick4u is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh97 View Post
Changed it successfully. removing the airbag was a pain though.
Thanks for the help to everybody
I have a question to ask. Can the actual airbag units be swapped between the standard/sport steering wheels? Meaning the steering wheel + cover removed & replaced, but the actual airbag is the same..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Napa, CA
Posts: 22
VNYD DOG is on a distinguished road
Yep that's how it's done, assuming you have a compatible wheel, the airbag unit swaps over, so what you're buying is the steering wheel rim itself.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
e70, m wheel, steering wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.