Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2014, 02:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hollywood CA
Posts: 116
jiigan is on a distinguished road
Mod Qstns: Springs, Reflectors, Black Shifter Trim, Bumper Mesh, Aero Kit, Msport ??

Yo.. looking to do some mods to my 2011 x5 3.5 sport.
Have been doing some research but need some help with clarifying a couple of things, thanks in advance.
PS. I will be posting DIY with pics for all of these mods that I will do, so extra info would be appreciated. I noticed there is not alot of diy for the e70 anywhere.


Springs: I don't have the auto level suspension and my x5 has the "super awesome" sport suspension delete . How can you have a sport package with out sport suspsension. That makes no sense. Given that fact the car doesn't handle as well as my previous 2005 x5 which had the sport suspension included in the sport package. Will lowering sport springs such as H&R help with handling?

Reflectors: The stock yellow reflectors are just horrible, there is no words for them. My car is black, my options are paint or wrap the old reflectors, or buy new. Ebay does not have them for 2011+ x5, and the only others I found online were almost $100 (a bit pushing it for 2 pieces of plastic) Any suggestions on wrap, paint, or purchase?

Black Shifter trim and navigation control: I saw a 7 series at my mechanics that had a black instead of silver trim on the shifter, and the knob that controls the navi was black as well. Anybody have done this mod? looks much cooler then the silver trim. Any idea on how to go about it?

Bumber Mesh: What are your opinions on the bumper mesh in the front? I would like to paint it black to match the black grills. Paint on the car? Remove before paint?

Aero Kit: which bumper does it fit on? Anybody have a pic of a front bumper with out and with the kit side by side? Thoughts on the ebay version? What is the difference between the m-sport bumper and the regular sport bumper. Or am I confusing the sport and the x5m?

Angel Eyes: Mine are the ugly yellow color, would like to match the factory xenon. Which bulbs do you prefer?

Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 05-20-2014, 05:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 264
Jyohay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiigan View Post
Yo.. looking to do some mods to my 2011 x5 3.5 sport.
Have been doing some research but need some help with clarifying a couple of things, thanks in advance.
PS. I will be posting DIY with pics for all of these mods that I will do, so extra info would be appreciated. I noticed there is not alot of diy for the e70 anywhere.


Springs: I don't have the auto level suspension and my x5 has the "super awesome" sport suspension delete . How can you have a sport package with out sport suspsension. That makes no sense. Given that fact the car doesn't handle as well as my previous 2005 x5 which had the sport suspension included in the sport package. Will lowering sport springs such as H&R help with handling?

Reflectors: The stock yellow reflectors are just horrible, there is no words for them. My car is black, my options are paint or wrap the old reflectors, or buy new. Ebay does not have them for 2011+ x5, and the only others I found online were almost $100 (a bit pushing it for 2 pieces of plastic) Any suggestions on wrap, paint, or purchase?

Black Shifter trim and navigation control: I saw a 7 series at my mechanics that had a black instead of silver trim on the shifter, and the knob that controls the navi was black as well. Anybody have done this mod? looks much cooler then the silver trim. Any idea on how to go about it?

Bumber Mesh: What are your opinions on the bumper mesh in the front? I would like to paint it black to match the black grills. Paint on the car? Remove before paint?

Aero Kit: which bumper does it fit on? Anybody have a pic of a front bumper with out and with the kit side by side? Thoughts on the ebay version? What is the difference between the m-sport bumper and the regular sport bumper. Or am I confusing the sport and the x5m?

Angel Eyes: Mine are the ugly yellow color, would like to match the factory xenon. Which bulbs do you prefer?

Springs: just put H&R on and love them
no more bounce, not too firm.
only like a 2" drop not too bad (i have 21")

reflectors: i pulled mine out and had my body shop paint them for $100 both front and rear, you are correct the Ebay depo ones do not work.
IND sells them for like $85 per pair.
Black Shifter: i wrapped my shifter handle in black alacantera, i like it.
only the handle not the base
Bumper Mesh: my mesh is black already

Aerokit: i bought the aero from ebay, and sold it as the PUR was low quailty and every bodyshop wanted way too much money to paint. The rear is made up of so many pieces its ridiculous. I may rebuy and just use the front.
the rear has like inner skeletons and you attach the outter fins to it.
it also has PDC holes and i dont have them.
there is a PreLCI and LCI specific aerokit, it does NOT work on msport bumper, its only for normal bumpers.


Angel eyes: i just bought LED bulbs off ebay, they are replicas of the LUX bulbs but only $80

New Real 80W BMW H8 CREE LED Angel Eyes for BMW E90 E92 E60 E70 x5 x6 E84 E89 | eBay


any other questions let me know
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hollywood CA
Posts: 116
jiigan is on a distinguished road
Kool Thanks,
I'll go with H&R going to order today, reflectors also leaning towards painting.
Can you elaborate on the wrapping of the shifter handle, any pics?
Anybody have a pic of the msport bumper compared to the sport bumper?

Also I was reading about the exhaust flap mod, anybody have negative experience with it?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 264
Jyohay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiigan View Post
Kool Thanks,
I'll go with H&R going to order today, reflectors also leaning towards painting.
Can you elaborate on the wrapping of the shifter handle, any pics?
Anybody have a pic of the msport bumper compared to the sport bumper?

Also I was reading about the exhaust flap mod, anybody have negative experience with it?
its not as "hairy" as it looks in the pic haha, alacantera alwasy pictures badly.

exhaust flap mod isnt as easy on this one as the E9x 335s where you just pulll the vacuum line.
thoe the vacuum line sucked and closed the valve, so unhooking left it open.
these is a BOOST line, and it BOOSTS it open, so unhooking it makes it CLOSED all the time,
you will need to unhook the actuator arm, and wrap wire around the arm and the pipe so that it pushed the arm IN.
i actually relocated the valve to my midpipe on a Y pipe, so that when its open its a dumper, but i have 0 drone (i have a downpipe aswell though).






LCI bumper


aerokit (notice lower lip)


Msport (notice the foglights are INSIDE the lower mesh grills)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 6
jinhao is on a distinguished road
wait the reflectors changed after LCI?

BMW E70 X5 Painted Reflectors these do not work for LCI bumpers?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 264
Jyohay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinhao View Post
wait the reflectors changed after LCI?

BMW E70 X5 Painted Reflectors these do not work for LCI bumpers?
yes LCI has different reflectors, bimmian does not have LCI ones (i checked)

LCI X5 Painted Rear Reflectors - iND - Brands

LCI X5 Painted Front Reflectors - iND - Brands

you can remove yours and get them painted by a shop for cheaper though.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hollywood CA
Posts: 116
jiigan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyohay View Post
yes LCI has different reflectors, bimmian does not have LCI ones (i checked)

LCI X5 Painted Rear Reflectors - iND - Brands

LCI X5 Painted Front Reflectors - iND - Brands

you can remove yours and get them painted by a shop for cheaper though.

I am going to wrap or paint them, $85 is to much for plastic.. lol
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 264
Jyohay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiigan View Post
I am going to wrap or paint them, $85 is to much for plastic.. lol
i couldnt find a white vinyl that matches close enough, so i tinted them, but eventually gave in
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hollywood CA
Posts: 116
jiigan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyohay View Post
Springs: just put H&R on and love them
no more bounce, not too firm.
only like a 2" drop not too bad (i have 21")
Did you get the 2" drop or did you get the 1.2" and it dropped it 2".

[QUOTE=Aerokit: i bought the aero from ebay, and sold it as the PUR was low quailty and every bodyshop wanted way too much money to paint. The rear is made up of so many pieces its ridiculous. I may rebuy and just use the front.
the rear has like inner skeletons and you attach the outter fins to it.
it also has PDC holes and i dont have them.
there is a PreLCI and LCI specific aerokit, it does NOT work on msport bumper, its only for normal bumpers.
[/QUOTE]
The front does look nice, just have to have a good shop to paint for cheap. I may do this one down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel eyes: i just bought LED bulbs off ebay, they are replicas of the LUX bulbs but only $80
[IMG
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1538928_10100539134771465_625187729_n.jpg[/IMG]
New Real 80W BMW H8 CREE LED Angel Eyes for BMW E90 E92 E60 E70 x5 x6 E84 E89 | eBay
Those bulbs on ebay come with some kind of an extra piece "decoder" they call it. What is that?

I like the wrapped gear shifter, wonder if I can do something besides the fabric, maybe carbon fiber, or just black. I would like to wrap the base as well.

Thanks for all your replies
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hollywood CA
Posts: 116
jiigan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyohay View Post
i couldnt find a white vinyl that matches close enough, so i tinted them, but eventually gave in
My car is black, so that shouldnt be to hard to find.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:28 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.