Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > Classifieds > BMW SAV Items Wanted to Buy
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-29-2023, 08:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 84
alberniken is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb WTB - LPG components

Hello.

Seeking an used LPG kit for a 2001 3.0 and/or 2003 4.4.

Due to shipping expenses, I am just seeking the complete kit minus supply lines & tanks.

I live in Canada, and can get the tanks and lines cheap, but no LPG 'experts' here in Canuckistan have even heard of kits for anything other than commercial vehicles in this country (despite that once upon a time, decades ago, Canada was a leader in LPG conversions)

As of June 2023, premium petrol is 2.33$CDN (1.62 EUR) pre litre- yes I know cheap compared to many places, but LPG is 1/2 that, with bulk purchases sometimes available as low as 0.90$CDN (0.62) EUR I am thinking it might be worth the time and money to convert.


Thanks
Ken
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 02-12-2024, 04:30 AM
aureliusmax's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: abbotsford canada
Posts: 316
aureliusmax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberniken View Post
Hello.

Seeking an used LPG kit for a 2001 3.0 and/or 2003 4.4.

Due to shipping expenses, I am just seeking the complete kit minus supply lines & tanks.

I live in Canada, and can get the tanks and lines cheap, but no LPG 'experts' here in Canuckistan have even heard of kits for anything other than commercial vehicles in this country (despite that once upon a time, decades ago, Canada was a leader in LPG conversions)

As of June 2023, premium petrol is 2.33$CDN (1.62 EUR) pre litre- yes I know cheap compared to many places, but LPG is 1/2 that, with bulk purchases sometimes available as low as 0.90$CDN (0.62) EUR I am thinking it might be worth the time and money to convert.


Thanks
Ken
There's an outfit in Mission that supposedly is doing great LPG conversions... I know of an employee who works there.
__________________
2003 4.6, esotril blue, over 215,000KM. Every previous owner failed to keep up the vehicle maintenance. Restoration project.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2024, 05:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 84
alberniken is on a distinguished road
LPG

Howdy

Is there a business name or website? Also would you have a rough idea of what they are charging?

Thanks in advance
Ken
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2024, 06:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 2,074
80stech is on a distinguished road
There is a good reason why LPG is not that popular any more. For starters I think the pricing is closer than you make it out to be. You shouldn't be using premium price to compare plus you need more liters of propane to travel the same distance AND it's hard on the engine, especially valves, loss of power, where do you put the tank? etc. etc.
__________________
1988 325is (purchased new) sold
2004 X5 3.0 2005 X3 2.5
2008 X5 3.0 (new to me)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-13-2024, 01:06 AM
aureliusmax's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: abbotsford canada
Posts: 316
aureliusmax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberniken View Post
Howdy

Is there a business name or website? Also would you have a rough idea of what they are charging?

Thanks in advance
Ken
https://maxquip.ca/location/mission/
__________________
2003 4.6, esotril blue, over 215,000KM. Every previous owner failed to keep up the vehicle maintenance. Restoration project.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2024, 01:11 AM
aureliusmax's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: abbotsford canada
Posts: 316
aureliusmax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80stech View Post
There is a good reason why LPG is not that popular any more. For starters I think the pricing is closer than you make it out to be. You shouldn't be using premium price to compare plus you need more liters of propane to travel the same distance AND it's hard on the engine, especially valves, loss of power, where do you put the tank? etc. etc.
None of those things you mentioned are relevant, except maybe just to poorly manufactured kits back in the 1970s

Propane systems will only burn hotter if they are drastically under-fueled but these systems they sell now will blend and meter fuel plus propane, acting as octane enhancement (propane is 120) and cheaper fuel. The tanks they usually take out a spare tire and have tanks that fit in their place.

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic, worked propane forklifts, the engines would last over 8000 hours without rebuilds, virtually no wear on the cylinder walls or valve seats. Propane burns very clean, and 500 hour oil changes are normal and you don't see any darkening of the oil either.

The real argument against propane is the recovery of your installation costs with fuel savings and inconvenience factor of getting / filling propane
__________________
2003 4.6, esotril blue, over 215,000KM. Every previous owner failed to keep up the vehicle maintenance. Restoration project.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2024, 08:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 2,074
80stech is on a distinguished road
So these new systems only add propane into the mix of gasoline ?? I guess if you use only a small portion of propane then your spare tire size tank will last longer. Makes even less sense to me.
__________________
1988 325is (purchased new) sold
2004 X5 3.0 2005 X3 2.5
2008 X5 3.0 (new to me)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-14-2024, 01:26 AM
aureliusmax's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: abbotsford canada
Posts: 316
aureliusmax is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80stech View Post
So these new systems only add propane into the mix of gasoline ?? I guess if you use only a small portion of propane then your spare tire size tank will last longer. Makes even less sense to me.
you have no counter argument, none at all.
__________________
2003 4.6, esotril blue, over 215,000KM. Every previous owner failed to keep up the vehicle maintenance. Restoration project.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-14-2024, 08:27 AM
lezmtaylor's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: united Kingdom
Posts: 126
lezmtaylor is on a distinguished road
I am UK based and have a 2002 4.4 V8, purchased car 2006 with 42 K on the clock.
Had the lpg conversion done on purchase , have now done 103k and get equiv of 33 mpg.
Well pleased ( I used to run lpg Ford Transit vans(parcel delivery co.) and frequently saw 250k mileage on the engines, with negligible bore wear.

Lez
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
lpg europe kit ecu

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.