Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E53) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/)
-   -   Xenon Headlight Replaced, not working! (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/109692-xenon-headlight-replaced-not-working.html)

North Idaho X5 01-25-2019 06:13 AM

Xenon Headlight Replaced, not working!
 
(2006 X5 E53 M54) The driver side xenon went pink, then blew a few days later. Per BMW manual, I lowered the bumper cover, took out both headlight assemblies. Opened rear cover, removed ballast and replaced bulbs on both. Passenger side is fine, but now the driver side won't light up. To test, I swapped ballasts and bulbs from driver over to passenger side and visa versa, passenger side still works fine, driver side still wont work. (New bulbs are Philips D2S #85122)
Halogen, angel eye and turn signal - parking lights are working fine on both, but the driver xenon side just wont work. The headlight assembly and wiring plug in wasn't mishandled, dropped or otherwise damaged.

I can't find a fuse or relay label for headlamps. What possibly could be wrong??

Please help me, I'm trying to avoid going to the local stealership.


Thank you!

jsoto 01-25-2019 08:53 AM

Could be the ignitor in PS

Zulu95 01-25-2019 09:13 AM

Also check out item 5 here.
RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog



http://www.realoem.com/bmw/images/diag_2rut.png
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=63_0833


North Idaho X5 01-25-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsoto (Post 1153166)
Could be the ignitor in PS


Thank you, and please excuse my lack of knowledge, but I'm not sure what ignitor in PS is. Could you tell me what that is and how to test it?


- Chris

Overboost 01-25-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Idaho X5 (Post 1153170)
Thank you, and please excuse my lack of knowledge, but I'm not sure what ignitor in PS is. Could you tell me what that is and how to test it?


- Chris

#2 in the diagram above. Just swap it as you did with ballasts and bulbs. Pay extra attention how it ejects the harness out of the ignitor when you remove it
from the bulb. :thumbup:

Qsilver7 01-25-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Idaho X5 (Post 1153161)
(2006 X5 E53 M54) I can't find a fuse or relay label for headlamps. What possibly could be wrong??

BMW went away from fuses & relays back in 1995 when the combined these functions along with other control modules into the LM (light module). Then the next iteration the LCM (light check module). So there aren't any individual fuses and relays for the headlights. (see info below)


A search suggestion would be to google for BMW e53 x5 xenon ALC module (which is item #5 in the diagram posted above). It's a topic that has come up in the past and the threads about this topic (similar to yours) may shed some light and be helpful. :) If you see results for other BMW models from the same era that have adaptive bi-xenon headlights...don't dismiss them because the situation and solution will be similar.


North Idaho X5 01-25-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overboost (Post 1153173)
#2 in the diagram above. Just swap it as you did with ballasts and bulbs. Pay extra attention how it ejects the harness out of the ignitor when you remove it
from the bulb. :thumbup:


Thank you. I guess I got my terminology wrong, sorry. What was swapped from passenger side to driver side was #2 and #3 as shown. (I thought #2 was called the ballast). And you're right, when rotating open #2 to remove, the small harness does come out. I made sure it was snugly re-inserted on both after rotating back to closed position.


- Chris

Overboost 01-25-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Idaho X5 (Post 1153176)
Thank you. I guess I got my terminology wrong, sorry. What was swapped from passenger side to driver side was #2 and #3 as shown. (I thought #2 was called the ballast). And you're right, when rotating open #2 to remove, the small harness does come out. I made sure it was snugly re-inserted on both after rotating back to closed position.


- Chris

Ah, ok. Now try swapping the ballasts mounted on the bottom of the housings. #1 in the diagram. This is most likely the problem but check it and we'll go from there. :thumbup:

North Idaho X5 01-26-2019 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overboost (Post 1153177)
Ah, ok. Now try swapping the ballasts mounted on the bottom of the housings. #1 in the diagram. This is most likely the problem but check it and we'll go from there. :thumbup:


Many thanks, I'll be swapping the ballasts (#1) Sunday afternoon sometime, I'll let you know how it goes. You and others have been a great help, and I most certainly appreciate it! I'm really looking forward to learning more about this amazing vehicle and it's varied technology as time goes on. Stay tuned!!


Cheers,
Chris

North Idaho X5 01-26-2019 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qsilver7 (Post 1153174)
BMW went away from fuses & relays back in 1995 when the combined these functions along with other control modules into the LM (light module). Then the next iteration the LCM (light check module). So there aren't any individual fuses and relays for the headlights. (see info below)


VERY informative, thank you for the insight and the detailed graphics, I'm quickly getting educated, and I sincerely appreciate it. It's good to know that there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum. Thank you again!


Cheers,
Chris


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.