Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E53) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/)
-   -   Not impressed with OSRAM Xenarc Night Breaker Laser D2S (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/110706-not-impressed-osram-xenarc-night-breaker-laser-d2s.html)

X5only 08-20-2019 03:27 PM

Not impressed with OSRAM Xenarc Night Breaker Laser D2S
 
Just installed OSRAM Xenarc Night Breaker Laser D2S from powerbulbs.com and I'm not impressed with them at all. My headlights are factory adaptive xenons (2005 X5 4.4) The bulbs cost $107 but unfortunately I can't return them as I'm time barred. They're not that much brighter than the Philips bulbs they replaced. The color is yellowish and I thought they'd be white. I've complained to powerbulb and they say to use them for 2 weeks for the effect to show:confused:

Does anyone have these bulbs and how's their performance after the said 2 weeks bake time?

PropellerHead 08-20-2019 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by X5only (Post 1167610)
Just installed OSRAM Xenarc Night Breaker Laser D2S from powerbulbs.com and I'm not impressed with them at all. My headlights are factory adaptive xenons (2005 X5 4.4) The bulbs cost $107 but unfortunately I can't return them as I'm time barred. They're not that much brighter than the Philips bulbs they replaced. The color is yellowish and I thought they'd be white. I've complained to powerbulb and they say to use them for 2 weeks for the effect to show:confused:

Does anyone have these bulbs and how's their performance after the said 2 weeks bake time?

Heyyyy.. I'm in Bellevue right now! :high5:

Freestyler 08-20-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X5only (Post 1167610)
Does anyone have these bulbs and how's their performance after the said 2 weeks bake time?


I have them in my 2004 4.4 w. factory adaptive headlights.

I bought them because i was very dissapointed over the relatively weak light output from the standard xenon bulbs.
First i bought new oem bulbs, but it was only a small improvement. So next step was to try the Night Breakers. And they are definately brighter. And yes, they need a little burn-in time to reach their optimal performance.
But i still don't have nearly the same light output as i had in my old E39 w. standard xenon bulbs.
I have settled on the conclusion that the E53 headlight internals (the lenses in particular) simply are of inferior quality/design to fx. the E39. :(

X5only 08-20-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PropellerHead (Post 1167613)
Heyyyy.. I'm in Bellevue right now! :high5:

Holy cow, that looks like a view from Lincoln square or something? Looks familiar from the MS offices. I wonder if there's an E53 meetup pugent sound region.

X5only 08-20-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freestyler (Post 1167625)
I have them in my 2004 4.4 w. factory adaptive headlights.

I bought them because i was very dissapointed over the relatively weak light output from the standard xenon bulbs.
First i bought new oem bulbs, but it was only a small improvement. So next step was to try the Night Breakers. And they are definately brighter. And yes, they need a little burn-in time to reach their optimal performance.
But i still don't have nearly the same light output as i had in my old E39 w. standard xenon bulbs.
I have settled on the conclusion that the E53 headlight internals (the lenses in particular) simply are of inferior quality/design to fx. the E39. :(

Thanks for reaffirming about the burn-in time. Incidentally, I still have my beloved old '97 E39 never gonna part with it :D. She's now at 230k miles and still going super strong and looks terrific :thumbup:

Freestyler 08-20-2019 09:25 PM

I sold my E39 just short of 300K miles. Now that was a well built car. :thumbup:


Do you have xenons in your E39? And if so, how is the light output and sharpness of the beam pattern compared to the X?

X5only 08-21-2019 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freestyler (Post 1167633)
I sold my E39 just short of 300K miles. Now that was a well built car. :thumbup:


Do you have xenons in your E39? And if so, how is the light output and sharpness of the beam pattern compared to the X?

Yes but originally it had halogen from factory. I updated it with euro OEM xenons. The light output is great but I wouldn't say drastically better than my X5. Actually my X5 had really good light output when I first got her. It deteriorated after changing the bulbs. There's also a time I removed the headlights while ugrading the front bumpers to 4.8is version. I suspect they're not properly aimed.

PropellerHead 08-21-2019 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X5only (Post 1167628)
Holy cow, that looks like a view from Lincoln square or something? Looks familiar from the MS offices. I wonder if there's an E53 meetup pugent sound region.

Nailed it. I'm free after noon tomorrow. Thursday I head to Gig Harbor to stay with sister till Sunday.

crystalworks 08-21-2019 06:50 PM

Still a fan of the night breakers I put in 3 years ago. Was a significant improvement over what was in there (tired OE Phillips). Definitely seen brighter lights, but I think the projectors are the limiting factors on our generation BMW's vs. the bulbs being used.

X5only 08-21-2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalworks (Post 1167667)
Still a fan of the night breakers I put in 3 years ago. Was a significant improvement over what was in there (tired OE Phillips). Definitely seen brighter lights, but I think the projectors are the limiting factors on our generation BMW's vs. the bulbs being used.

Yeah, today I noticed they appeared brighter- I'm now the guy driving around with lights-on midday sunny summer:D The color remains yellowish which to me looks cheapo and halogen-like. Are yours yellow or white or in-between?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 PM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.