Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E53) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/)
-   -   5HP24 no 1-2-3 no change after valve body replaced (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/111630-5hp24-no-1-2-3-no-change-after-valve-body-replaced.html)

andrewwynn 03-09-2020 05:39 PM

Good to know. I can see how it could be confusing. You can clearly see however that by context there was no confusion between myself and the OP who opened up his egs and took pictures after quoting back my mention of tcu v. EGS

aureliusmax 03-13-2020 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got emailed back my used transmission oil sample results. There was so much iron and copper content that the lab could not perform some tests. A screenshot is attached.

ELEVATED IRON MAY BE SOURCED TO BEARINGS; GEARS; SPLINES; SHAFTS; HOUSING; NON-MECHANICAL ORIGIN. UNABLE TO TEST
FOR PARTICLE COUNT (ISO CODE) DUE TO EXCESS PARTICULATE. OTHER READINGS APPEAR TO BE NORMAL. CHANGE OIL.
RESAMPLE TO MONITOR.
Iron 585
Copper 952

After a month of use I will re-sample the new oil, to determine if the new filter and existing mix left-over in the cooler and torque converter will become back to acceptable levels.

aureliusmax 03-15-2020 11:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
installed replacement EGS controller. scan before clearing codes

GS8602 --- 0x000001 EGS: Pressure actuator EDS 1 --- Unknown
GS8602 --- 0x000004 EGS: Pressure actuator EDS 4 --- Unknown
GS8602 --- 0x000011 EGS: Solenoid valve 2 --- Unknown
GS8602 --- 0x000012 EGS: Solenoid valve 3 --- Unknown
GS8602 --- 0x000030 EGS: Converter lockup clutch, excessive slip --- Unknown
IKI --- 0x00008D IKE: EGS signal line disturbed --- Unknown


after clear codes

no change.
use ista/p to reprogram egs.

The fault memory must be deleted again for fault handling.
Delete the fault memory again?

DME/DDE
- 0xDC (220)
DME: CAN timeout, electronic transmission management (EGS/AGS)

DSC
- 0x3A (58)
DSC: No message from EGS control unit

EGS
- 0x4 (4)
EGS: Pressure actuator EDS 4
- 0x1 (1)
EGS: Pressure actuator EDS 1
- 0x12 (18)
EGS: Solenoid valve 3
- 0x11 (17)
EGS: Solenoid valve 2
- 0x10 (16)
EGS: Solenoid valve 1

KOMBI
- 0xFB (251)
IKE: No CAN identification (EGS)
- 0x8D (141)
IKE: EGS signal line disturbed


AND cleared again... successfull !
Finished programming.

Test and re-scan

GS8602 --- 0x000001 EGS: Pressure actuator EDS 1 --- Unknown
GS8602 --- 0x000004 EGS: Pressure actuator EDS 4 --- Unknown
GS8602 --- 0x000010 EGS: Solenoid valve 1 --- Unknown
GS8602 --- 0x000011 EGS: Solenoid valve 2 --- Unknown
GS8602 --- 0x000012 EGS: Solenoid valve 3 --- Unknown
IKI --- 0x00008D IKE: EGS signal line disturbed --- Unknown


Not sure what's going on now. Any thoughts ?

I have no voltage output on pin 21 from the EGS.
I took out the case from the replacement EGS module, and there was no damage like the previous part installed. It's almost like the transistor to output on pin 21 has a signal to turn off.

I rechecked the resistances from the EGS harness from pin 21 to 38,28,26,16,7 and had 29 ohms on the MV's and 7 ohms on the EDS's.

checked the other other three EDS' powered from pin 11, good. tested the temp sensor, and both speed sensors none were shorted either.

And then I tested the main power connector the the EGS and pin 1,3 were B+ voltage
4,5,6 ground
7,8,9 B+

Anyone seen RRPhil ? The transmission guy. He shut down private messages and I can't get in contact . I looked at this bimmerforums thread but the OP said he changed the transmission controller and the problem got fixed. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...fail-safe-mode

UPdate; found a clear pin-out chart from
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ontrol/Z4AE08C
Which I will be using to continue the work next weekend.

attachments;
diagram of solenoids.
serial of egs module
inspection of replacement egs.
printed resistance checks

aureliusmax 03-19-2020 02:35 PM

bump, what happened to RRPhil I'm trying to get in contact but he's disabled the messages

crystalworks 03-19-2020 04:15 PM

He runs a business and I'm sure is pretty busy. Couple that with the T-Virus causing the zombie apocalypse and I assume he has a lot going on. ;)

aureliusmax 03-19-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalworks (Post 1179808)
He runs a business and I'm sure is pretty busy. Couple that with the T-Virus causing the zombie apocalypse and I assume he has a lot going on. ;)

He closed / retired from his business in 2019.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post529069.html#529069

crystalworks 03-19-2020 04:53 PM

I don't know then. That retirement post is from 2017... and was his last post there. I guess he does not post on forums very often then? Not much online about his company but his home page is still up (no links on it though). Last FB page post for the business was June of '19.

At any rate, hope he's okay.

andrewwynn 03-19-2020 06:37 PM

5HP24 no 1-2-3 no change after valve body replaced
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aureliusmax (Post 1179797)
bump, what happened to RRPhil I'm trying to get in contact but he's disabled the messages



He posts regularly to xo on transmission threads. You just have to post an interesting enough question to catch his eye.

RRPhil 03-20-2020 05:05 AM

In the light of your oil sample test results, I think you should first attempt to establish if you have a mechanical/hydraulic fault with your transmission, for example with the A clutch.

Your 5HP24ís hydraulic system was designed in such a way that, in the event of complete electrical/electronic failure (i.e. none of the solenoids working), it engages 4th gear (A & B clutches applied) when D is selected and reverse gear (C & F clutches applied) when R is selected.

To try to simulate this failure you can temporarily disconnect the 16-pin connector at the rear of the transmission.

Could you maybe try this and report back whether or not your E53 successfully pulls away in 4th gear? This would tell us if the A clutch is still functioning.

While youíre under there, could you also make a note of the transmissionís serial number from the green i/d plate rivetted to the LH side of the maincase, adjacent to the 16-pin connector?

https://i260.photobucket.com/albums/...psa16eca2b.jpg

Phil

aureliusmax 03-20-2020 05:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Phil, thanks for popping into this discussion. I noticed your setting to accept private messages was off :dunno:

As per the above, I'm not getting power to my solenoids due to no voltage off pin 21, therefore I have 4 gear as the only option in forwards. I have made some measurements and tests with and without the 16 pin connector plugged, as noted in my previous posts. I can entertain the driven test with the connector unplugged, but I can say with confidence I will have the same result as what I'm experiencing now. Attached is the serial plate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRPhil
In the light of your oil sample test results, I think you should first attempt to establish if you have a mechanical/hydraulic fault with your transmission, for example with the A clutch.

Your 5HP24ís hydraulic system was designed in such a way that, in the event of complete electrical/electronic failure (i.e. none of the solenoids working), it engages 4th gear (A & B clutches applied) when D is selected and reverse gear (C & F clutches applied) when R is selected.

To try to simulate this failure you can temporarily disconnect the 16-pin connector at the rear of the transmission.

Could you maybe try this and report back whether or not your E53 successfully pulls away in 4th gear? This would tell us if the A clutch is still functioning.

While youíre under there, could you also make a note of the transmissionís serial number from the green i/d plate rivetted to the LH side of the maincase, adjacent to the 16-pin connector?



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.