Xoutpost.com

Xoutpost.com (https://xoutpost.com/forums.php)
-   X5 (E53) Forum (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/)
-   -   Front Bearing Removal Tool UPDATE PROBLEM SOLVED! (https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/112718-front-bearing-removal-tool-update-problem-solved.html)

Fifty150hs 12-13-2020 07:54 PM

Front Bearing Removal Tool UPDATE PROBLEM SOLVED!
 
Anyone know if this tool will work with our X's?

https://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-862...7902880&sr=8-6

CapeX5 12-13-2020 08:43 PM

Yes, I just did mine last weekend. I bought it from HF, and it looks exactly like the one you posted. I will give you a couple tips. Make sure you grease the threads of that long bolt. I stripped 2 of them, my bad. Also, take out your wheel speed sensor at the beginning. I didn't on mine and broke it. Its a bitch of a job, but not too bad. Took me maybe 2 hours total.

Fifty150hs 12-13-2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapeX5 (Post 1196088)
Yes, I just did mine last weekend. I bought it from HF, and it looks exactly like the one you posted. I will give you a couple tips. Make sure you grease the threads of that long bolt. I stripped 2 of them, my bad. Also, take out your wheel speed sensor at the beginning. I didn't on mine and broke it. Its a bitch of a job, but not too bad. Took me maybe 2 hours total.

Thanks for the info. Did you have to do any heating of the knuckle? Did you freeze the new bearing to shrink it before installation?

andrewwynn 12-13-2020 11:50 PM

If you use puller with 3/4" bolt you will need to heat/freeze. With 7/8 or 1" bolt no temperature help needed.

As mentioned about stripping the 3/4"? Bolt, it's quite undersized for this job.

The math worked to about 35,000# to remove and 25,000# to install.

3/4" hardened bolt it's good for about 21,000.

I drilled mine out to 1" to bump that up to 62,000#.

Fifty150hs 12-14-2020 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewwynn (Post 1196107)
If you use puller with 3/4" bolt you will need to heat/freeze. With 7/8 or 1" bolt no temperature help needed.

As mentioned about stripping the 3/4"? Bolt, it's quite undersized for this job.

The math worked to about 35,000# to remove and 25,000# to install.

3/4" hardened bolt it's good for about 21,000.

I drilled mine out to 1" to bump that up to 62,000#.

Thanks for that info Andrew. I'm not certain yet if I have bad bearing, but I've developed a strange intermittent vibration that seems to be coming form the left front. I used a vibration sensor app and at 75 mph I get a 38 to 40 hertz vibration. If I do have one and have to change it I'll take your advice on the larger bolt.

andrewwynn 12-14-2020 12:51 AM

You said you have 235s correct? Best way to determine if bearing is to swap to wider or smaller wheels.maybe someone has a 255/55/18 you can try.

andrewwynn 12-14-2020 01:06 AM

75 mph :

75 * 5280/3600=110 ft/sec

110/7.3=15.068 rev per sec

40/15=2.667

Should not be in the bearing nor CV axle. I would look into drive train.

4.1:1 differential. 15.068*4.1=61.779 hz so that shouldn't be it either.

Do the frequency test at a different speed. I have a feeling something is causing a harmonic but weird when not at a ratio of the wheel RPM.

Fifty150hs 12-14-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewwynn (Post 1196111)
You said you have 235s correct? Best way to determine if bearing is to swap to wider or smaller wheels.maybe someone has a 255/55/18 you can try.

Yes, 235's. I'll have to look around and see if I can find someone with one that has different wheels. Around here they are becoming quite rare. Lots of people here with lots of money so they don't hang on to cars long.

Fifty150hs 12-14-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewwynn (Post 1196112)
75 mph :

75 * 5280/3600=110 ft/sec

110/7.3=15.068 rev per sec

40/15=2.667

Should not be in the bearing nor CV axle. I would look into drive train.

4.1:1 differential. 15.068*4.1=61.779 hz so that shouldn't be it either.

Do the frequency test at a different speed. I have a feeling something is causing a harmonic but weird when not at a ratio of the wheel RPM.

I will check it out. I though the drive train might be possible to, but it feels like the vibration is coming from up front. :dunno:

andrewwynn 12-14-2020 11:17 AM

It's all connected. 2.6 x RPM of wheel is strange though did you have another frequency spike that was faster or slower just not as tall?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:21 PM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved.