View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 PM

601pilot is on a distinguished road
2008 4.8i - Accessory seized

Well, I did a search, but no luck on this one. My 2008 4.8i has 104k miles and is been out of the 6 yr/100k warranty for a few months. I drove the car home from a trip for about 3.5 hours with no problems. When I stopped about 20 miles from the house, I left the vehicle running and it was making an odd sound from the engine compartment, just a bit louder than usual. I drove the remaining 20 miles home without any indication of a problem. After about 30 mins, I attempted to restart and move the vehicle. The engine would only turn over a couple of times similar to a dead battery.

I assumed it was a dead battery and left it overnight. I took the rear cover off the battery to ascertain which battery type I had before ordering the new one. I decided I would try it again since it had been sitting overnight. The engine started as normal, but a loud squealing sound and white smoke came billowing out of the hood. I immediately shutdown the engine and popped the hood. I didn't see anything abnormal immediately, so I'm guessing one of the accessories or pulleys has seized and the belt was squealing against the pulley.

I haven't had a chance to pull the belt off today and see what has seized. I will try to do that tomorrow. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Robert

2008 X5 4.8i - Titanium Silver/Black - Sport - Tech - Ventilated Seats - Cold Weather Package - Rear DVD Entertainment - 3rd Row Seats - Sirius - Ipod

Sponsored Links