View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 10:23 AM

BeerHat is on a distinguished road
Fixed mine just yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clam_Alert View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am trying to fix the adjustment tab that popped off my passenger side vent (it did not break, just popped apart). I have both the front tab piece and the hinged "fork" that engages the backside of the tab, but there also is a small metal clip that I can't figure out where to relocate.

The attached photo shows the two plastic parts as well as the metal clip. It looks like the clip may slide underneath the black hinge bar to limit the swing of the tab (the curve in the clip is about the same radius as the bar), but there's no obvious placement to me.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I did this just yesterday on our new-to-us 2008 E70. So, the wire-pull trick didn't really work for me. I wrestled with it for an embarrassingly long time before I got a bit more creative. I used a small steel hook instead. I tried a few of my precision hooks, but they were a bit too sharp pointed and I didn't want to destroy the fork. Oddly enough, the cheaper Harbor Freight orange-handled hook works perfect for this procedure, since they're fairly dull on the point. I think it costs a dollar or two in an assorted set.

Anyway. Onto placement... sitting in your back seat that little notch on the plastic fork will be on the right, at least, it was for the right-side (passenger-side) vent. I assume the opposite is probably true for the left, all things being bilateral?? So, take a good look inside and review the other one for reference.

Now, gently insert the plastic fork, capturing that vertical rod inside. You can use the hook (from under the center slat) to help position the fork along the centerline of the horizontal slat while you slide the trim piece over the top. Finding either the right or left-most side of the fork, you'll want to be pulling it toward you, keeping pressure on it from inside the housing.

Once you have the trim piece over the top (silver tip up), eyeball the position of the fork, you will want to align it to your trim piece left-to-right as best you can. Keep that pressure on it by pulling on your hook, and just push the trim piece onto it until you hear and feel a snap. Then move to the other side of your fork and do the same.

If you're not the most steady-handed, this method can be tricky and frustrating. To prevent scratches you can cover the shank of the metal hook with electrical tape. Your back and neck may be a little sore, especially if you do this with child-seats installed like I did.

Dan

2008 E70 3.0 Alpine White
1996 E36 M3

Sponsored Links