View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Premier Member

JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
There are far fewer differences than there used to be.

The gas isn't different, the fuel is different. Fuel pump nozzles are different sizes.

No spark plugs, but some additional items, I'd call it a wash on maintenance costs. Owners have reported more frequent oil changes on the diesel models as called for by the condition based monitoring system; that is likely due to contamination of the oil with combustion byproducts. The diesel uses a different spec engine oil than the gasoline model. The component parts may be different due to the different engine model, but they are similar in concept. If you want to check specific part numbers go to realoem.com and look up the two models. The prices shown won't be exact, but they will be indicative.

Diesels can be more sensitive to water in the fuel; with clean fuel it may never be a problem but if you get a tank of bad diesel fuel every now and then you will be doing fuel filters more often than with a gasoline model.

Early X5 diesel models had some issues with the pollution control system (DEF), mainly due to first adopter issues. Seems more reliable now. Similar issues that gasoline engines had when they got new and more complex pollution controls years ago.

Before you jump, recommend you do a basic cost analysis on diesel fuel in your area. The better mileage is an obvious plus. However, depending on the price of diesel you may not see any savings. When I have analyzed it, it has taken in the order of 80,000 km to 100,000 km to break even, because we have more expensive diesel fuel than some areas. Diesel is the same as #2 heating oil, so is subject to seasonal price fluctuations when it is furnace season. For resale, diesels are not trading at any higher price here compared to 35i models, so the original purchasers took a hit on depreciation (the 35d was a $4500 option). If diesel fuel is not relatively expensive where you live, and you can get a vehicle priced similar to a 35i, it can make a lot of sense.

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue

Sponsored Links