View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Green Dragon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davintosh View Post
I have the same problem with mine; the shift lever at rest usually ends up over near 5th gear, and is sometimes a bit sticky in neutral. After some research I found that worn shift detent pins are sometimes at fault for that, but if it's as easy as a plastic cup bushing... That would be so sweet. Were you able to replace that from inside, or did you have to go underneath & disassemble stuff? Got a part number perchance?

Here's a link to a DIY writeup for the shift detent fix, and the BMW SIB; the repair looks pretty involved. I already sprung for the tools, and was dreading the pulling of the transmission. Not the most pleasant of jobs with a lift, and much worse without.

How to: Service your transmission shift pins.
http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplass...230104-063.pdf
This guide covers the process of replacing and updating the shift pins of the ZF S5D 320Z 5-speed manual transmission used in many of the BMW 6-cylinder models. This is a service that is prompted by a design fault of the shift detent pins used in that specific transmission. The symptoms include difficulty shifting into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear (BMW SIB 23 01 02 (881)) and sticking of shift lever when shifting in and out of the 5th gear or reverse gear gate (BMW SIB 23 01 04 (063)). This service requires that the transmission be entirely removed from the vehicle and assumes that you have already done so.

Davintosh is right on the money. Sounds like a detent issue, and will require dropping the tranny. I did this on my e36 years ago. Once you have the special tools, no big deal. Time to get greasy!
2005 X5 3.0, 6MT, Alpine White on Truffle Brown, Sport, Preim, and Cold Weather, Alpina Stainless Headers, AFe Intake, UUC SSK, OEM 87's, 3.64 Differential Swap,Performance Modified Euro 2 Tune, UUC LTW Flywheel and HD clutch, Bilstein B12 Suspension kit
Future mods ZHP/Schrick Cam Shaft upgrade, Operation code name:Doppelschrauben-Kompressor

Wife's Ride: 2011 e70 X5 351 M///Sport.

Also in the fold: 2004 X3 3.0, 6MT, Black Sapphire on Terracotta, port, Premium, Cold Weather.

Sponsored Links