View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 10:24 AM

bawareca is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnadrifter View Post

So, how much better would the 35d be at towing a 5000 lb boat. Any opinions? Any first hand experience with both?
The truth is,you will not know until you test both.
My '03 4.6is used to tow #6500 car on a trailer on occasions and never struggled even on a steep grades,usually getting around 14 mpg on a flats.But was really struggling with my 21" Sea Ray 210SD,which is around twice as high and wide as the X5.Should be around #5500 with the trailer and some stuff inside.I was getting 9-10 Mpg.The air resistance is the key factor here.
The '12 X5D pulls the boat in a very commanding matter,5th and 6th gear and 15-16 Mpg.That is where the diesel shines really and i hardly have to go over 1500 RPM.
I cant say how the 30i will be,my guess is it will be at least a few Mpg down and it may need more high RPM and more downshifting.Regardless of the 8 speed tranny you cant tow the boat on 8th gear with 1500 RPM with the gas.But if you decide to try i'll be glad to hear your impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau View Post
I'll let you know how my 2011 35d trailers a 2100# U-haul trailer with my 2007 M6 on it from Mississippi to Wisconsin (1200 miles) in a few days. The X is rated to tow 6000# and I'll be at about 5800#. The diesel has 400+ Ft # of torque I believe which is much more than your gas X5. It took me less than 2 hours to install the hitch the other day and it's less time consuming than most people think.
Sorry,but there is no way M6 on a heavy U-haul trailer could be under #6000.But that is fine,I did tow up to #6500 at occasions and the X5 feels always in command.

Sponsored Links