View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 05:16 PM

jimf15e is on a distinguished road
Lease turn in - BMW Fairfax tried to scam me

Bottom line - BMW Fairfax tried to cheat me out of $1600 during my lease turn in either intentionally or due to incompetence!

I had a 2012 X5 Sport Activity Package whose lease is up today so I called ahead to BMW Fairfax (recently moved to the area) to set up an appointment for a turn in inspection this past Saturday. Things started off poorly when I had to wait over 45 minutes (!) despite having called ahead for an appointment. The "inspector" finally showed up (his sale fell through) and grumpily takes my key to go check out the car.

He comes back 20 minutes later saying the car checked out great... except I'd owe $1600 for a new set of tires. I asked why because I measured all the treads and they were well within limits. He said I had to pay because I didn't have run flat tires on the car. At this point I knew EXACTLY what was going to happen.

After the crappy summer tires (summer tires on a truck? Why BMW, why?) wore out at 10,000 miles I put on Conti DSWs. Awesome tires, by the way. HOwever, they weren't run flats. The salesman showed me his iPad and shrugged, saying it was out of his hands - I HAD to return the car with run flats. I asked where it said that was required and he said it was in the contract. So I pulled out my contract and asked him to show me the wording that required it. He couldn't, so I showed him the section that said I only had to return the car with tires with >1/8" tread and all of similar quality, but no where did it say RFT were required.

So he changes his story and says it's a "liability" issue. I asked what the liability was. He said because X5's don't come with spare tires that we HAVE to turn it in with RFTs. So I asked him to follow me to the car. I open the tailgate and show him the factory spare tire I paid for when I ordered the car. Then I said "so now what's the reason?" He said he'd be right back.

10 minutes later he comes back all apologetic and says I was right, there was no need to charge me for the tires. BMW's lease rates are great, but I highly doubt I'll ever lease another one! Especially from BMW of Fairfax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So Long!
2013 M3: JZB/Black/ZCP/M-DCT
2010 Audi S4: Deep Sea Blue/Black/Prestige/S-Tronic/Full ADS
2006 BMW 330i/Jet Black/Black
2005 Audi S4/Moro Blue/Black

Sponsored Links