View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 01:26 PM

neilrmp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
I marked sprockets and cam with punch marks, etc (many different places including cam to bearing caps, ....). I did indeed lock the crank with the official BMW pin designed for the task. IIRC, the pin is used at the rear of the block and locks the flywheel/ring gear from turning.

Also, if you understand what the timing tool is accomplishing, you can eyeball the cam position by ensuring the flats on the cam (that the tool would engage) are perpendicular to the plane of the head, or parallel to the bearing caps, or... You get the idea hopefully. Plan on replacing the baffle/silencer on the left side of engine as it will be brittle and break when you touch/remove it. I forget its proper name and not 100% sure it is installed on the "TU" engine.
Thank you, I am not sure what the baffle/silencer thing is but I will do some more research, I have a pretty good understanding about the timing and the procedure but try to get all the info so everything goes smothers, although it never does.. thanks again.

Sponsored Links