View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 08:29 AM

Ricky Bobby will become famous soon enough
Personally I have no experience detailing with a rotary, so I couldn't recommend it for a beginner as well.

Check which Porter Cable your brother has, if it's not the XP model you are gonna need a machine with more grunt. Instead of buying a rotary buy the GG6 kit from Phil which comes with 5.5" pads. If you use anything over 5.5" pads on a Porter Cable it will take you forever to get work done, the machine just doesn't have much power.

As I mentioned above I'd recommend getting 4" pads for the Porter Cable (and a backing plate) and using that for curves and tight areas like bumpers and headlights, etc and use the GG6 with 5.5" pads for the larger sections of car. This is what I do.

MF cutting pads will cut more than Orange foam but they are very friendly and will finish really nice. Please watch videos on using them and you'll need to fluff the fibers up with a brush after each section pass. If the fibers flatten down they won't be correcting. Don't use MF cutting pads on a rotary although that should be self explanatory.

If you need more aggressive than Meg's MF cutting pads and FG400 on black, you might as well be wet sanding. FG400 is rated to remove 1200 grit scratches.

As far as clean up, just soak the hell out of the spent pads with APC, massage into the pads, and rinse them out well with HOT water until there is nothing coming out anymore, then wring them out and air dry.

Again your choice on rotary vs DA but you don't run risk of burning paint with rotary and you won't be chasing buffer trails, holograms, etc and won't need 3 different polishes to get LSP ready.
82k miles - Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown/Premium Pkg, Sport Activity/Premium Pkg and Sound/20" Style 214/Running Boards

Sponsored Links