View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 11:36 PM

josiahg52 is on a distinguished road
Some more detail:

It was -5C tonight. i unlocked the driver door remotely. The door unlocked and opened as expected.

I entered the vehicle and shut the door. The door latched as expected.

I then attempted to open the door from the inside. The door unlatched and opened but the interior handle did not return to the 'rest' position.

I then tried to close the door again but it would not latch shut. I started the engine and directed the left most lower vent at the interior door handle.

Within a minute of what had to be only marginally warmer air than the outside air, there was a noticeable change on the feel of the interior door handle. After about two minutes the handle had "relaxed" to the point that the door could be latched shut.

There was still some "play" in the handle until about five minutes of driving as the HVAC air became warmer and the handle felt almost normal. By the end of my fifteen minute drive the handle felt and functioned completely normal.

I really think the problem is localized to the interior door handle. I will take the door panel off and inspect the mechanism(s) closely when it gets warmer. Maybe some portion needs to be cleaned and greased. It's just too cold and I don't have a garage to work on the X5 in right now.

Sponsored Links