View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 10:54 PM

TerminatorX5 is on a distinguished road
Absence of spare tire is a serious drawback from BMW AG

I have asked this question on the other forum but the traffic there seems to be less than desired...

My wife has a 2012 F30 (335i) with 225/45-18 run flats. I have nothing against the runflats but I am disappointed with the absence of a spare... While the BMW marketing has correctly pointed out that in the US (and the rest of the "civilized" world) the 50 miles of emergency driving is enough to put you within an earshot from a dealer, (if you don't call for the roadside assistance but drive it yourself), in reality, a blown tire (a hole in the sidewall, so no compressor can help in this case) puts a serious halt on your life...

Case in point - my wife was driving to work today, on I-95 north, got blown sidewall, made it to work. As I called the dealers, one in Fairfax, the other one in Alexandria, both have the needed tire sizes and are willing to fix the problem, but neither can get to it sooner than tuesday (which is 4 days away). which means, without the proper (or ANY!) spare tire, the car is grounded, and there is no loaner available from either dealer. So, a problem that could have been mitigated by a simple spare tire (not even a full spare, as used to be on our E34 and E39, but a donut, like in our E53), has blown out of proportion...

Question -

Is there a steel wheel/tire combo from any other BMW or non-BMW that can be used as a temporary spare? The bolt pattern is 5x120 with center hub at 72.56...

I am willing to throw on even a GM wheel to limp the car while i manage to get the tire replaced...

Any ideas?
USA, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Russia

E53 X5 4.8iS built 2005-10-17
66200 mi - June 2012
96000 mi - June 2013
112000 mi - June 2014
OEM fire extinguisher
OE first aid kit
OE tow hitch
OE TV module
OE aspheric mirror
K&N air filter