View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 07:10 PM

BavarianE39 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru View Post
The "best fix" for the M54 engine is the new dipstick design & cold weather CCV.
The new dipstick design addresses the clogging/freezing issue of the return passage of the old design. the cold weather CCV addresses the freezing issue of the diaphragm & lines.
Also, owning a vehicle with this particular system and KNOWING how the CCV works, and how to address the shortcoming is better than changing components (that might not work 100% with the M54 engine).

This is a huge debate, and one should know exactly the difference between a PCV and CCV (Hint: CCV has a METERED diaphragm and keeps the vacuum in check at all times when working correctly - the CCV is open as the engine starts, closing/opening accordingly as you start driving. The PCV is CLOSED as you start the engine, the spring is NOT metered for the M54 vacuum).

My last CCV job on my e39 was January 2007. I changed the whole CCV to a cold weather CCV & new dipstick design. Engine M54B30, no issues, and we had some very cold winters since. So the original CCV system lasted 4 years and left me stranded away from home. The redesigned system is in the car for 8 years and works great.

I took my pick (and stayed away from home brew PCV/catch can solutions).
I agree with everything you said, it's true that when it comes to this subject everyone has a different opinion, similar to asking what oil people use. This is still a work in progress for me, I got the system to work at almost the same negative pressure as the factory ccv, I have a display of vacuum readings as I drive, and all I've seen change is that the pcv system has a stronger vacuum, but it varies the same way as the ccv as you drive.
I've compared the readings from start-stop, and cursing down the highway, I'm going to make myself the guinea pig and test this on my own car, I know that you have a much higher understanding of this system than I do, but I'm willing to give this a shot and progressively work on it and update my results on here. So far everything has been working wonderfully and I'm happy with this system.

Sponsored Links