View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 04:12 PM

swissfrank is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewel View Post
Thanks for the follow-up.
My free-play is about 1/3 of what your video shows, and the steering feels heavier than I think it should. So I'm not in bad shape, but hoping to improve things to ensure it's safe and to push any real repairs well out into the future.

From your "solved" description, it sounds like you found no problems with the joint itself, and that the problem was just in the clamping of the double-u-joint assembly to the steel shaft. Right? If I find the same thing, I'd assume that after re-seating and re-torquing that connection, my u-joints would be fine. Right?

Does it make sense to lubricate the u-joints while I'm in there? With what?

Sounds like you did this all without really removing anything other than that one screw. Right?

Thanks.
Hello,

Thanks for replying everyone. "oldskewel" you are correct. I removed torx bolt #5 and disconnected the knuckle from shaft #2 and #3 as in the diagram below. Upon inspection i noticed my joint was tight and didn't have issues with binding, I only noticed that I had a lot of wheel play. Looking at where the shaft inputs the joint the edges were starting to round ever so slightly. Re-seating the joint and torquing down bolt #5 again luckily made my steering wheel tight again, now minor moments are translated directly to my steering rack. Hopefully this lasts a while without replacement since my early lower steering assembly is the more expensive one.

To me no it doesn't make sense to lubricate this joint if there is not problem with binding, I would however clean them, they look like a sealed unit, I would be concerned that greasing them would attract dirt/moisture.

I moved my coolant tank and heater valve out of the way, and then turned my steering wheel to bring the torx bolt to the top for easy access. Make sure to take the key out of the ignition after so the steering wheel locks in place, this will make the whole removing / re-installing easier!

A couple more links for you;

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...nt-photos.html

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...heel-play.html

Regards,
Frank

Sponsored Links