View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 02:23 PM

Lambeau is on a distinguished road
Transfer Case & Rear Differential Fluid Change Today

2011 35d, 100K miles.

Very easy to do the transfer case and rear differential fluid change. Had to cut a 1" piece of 14mm allen wrench to fit between the transfer case drain plug & transmission crossmember. Both TC plugs and the single diff plug used a 14mm allen wrench. Then I replaced the transfer case & rear diff plugs with magnetic plugs. There is no drain plug on the rear diff and you'll need to use a means to suck that dry. I used a tube on a big syringe and it worked great.

First pic is of the difference between the magnetic and original drain plugs. No clearance issues even though the magnetic ones are longer.

2nd pic is of the location of the fill plug on the transfer case on the drivers side. I have the 14mm allen wrench socket in the fill plug. The fill plug is facing the front of the car up higher & the drain plug is facing the rear near the bottom. Both towards the drivers side of the TC.

3rd pic is of the 14mm allen wrench piece I cut to fit so I could remove the drain plug in the TC. Replaced that plug with a magnetic one so now it can be removed with a box-end wrench.

4th pic is of the fluid bottles. For both the rear diff & TC, just when the pump started to spit air when pumping, they were full so they both used about 95% of the liter.

Easy to do and recommend doing this. Do it yourself and get the added satisfaction of ownership by working on your own car vs. paying someone to do it.
Attached Images

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming: "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

2007 M6
2018 Chevy 2500HD Diesel Alaskan Edition
2011 X5 35d
1972 Chevy K20 4X4
1972 Ford F-600
1959 Chevy Viking 60 Dump Truck
2015 CanAm Outlander XT 1000

Last edited by Lambeau; 03-08-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Sponsored Links