View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 05:04 PM

upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads2002 View Post
That doesn't sound like a hg to me. Any smoke while driving? Usually coolant will be burnt if a bad head gasket. I may be wrong but I don't think the oil is pressurized running down those channels while the coolant would be. I think the gasket would be totally gone and head warped for oil to be seeping in.

From the vc gasket the oil wouldn't necessarily cover the whole plug. Just depends on how much it's leaking. I would run for a bit and pull them out again. If the plug is wet soaked on the electrode that cylinder wouldn't fire. I bet it's picking up the oil when you remove the plug. Ccv as others have said is Likely too.
Coolant system pressure is between 10-15 PSI. Any thing above that and the radiator cap will normally bleed of the excess pressure.

Oil pressure is anywhere between 5 to 40 PSI depending on the engine speed. Anything above that will be bleed off by the relief valve in the pump.

Peak cylinder pressures near TDC (where spark occurs) will be in the range of 300 psi for engine's at light loads, to 1000 psi for production engines at full power to 1500 psi or greater for race engines. This is where the engine's power comes from, as it forces the piston down. As the piston goes down, the cylinder volume increases which reduces the cylinder pressure. When the piston gets to the bottom on the cylinder (BDC) there may only be 100 to 500 psi in the cylinder. With that type of pressure a leak in the head gasket will allow combustion gas to enter the water jacket that surround the cylinder as air bubbles. That is why you can determine if you have a head gasket leak by the presence of combustion gas in the radiator.
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD

Sponsored Links