View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 03:30 PM

murf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
Need some help!

My battery light was on in the dash but the charging system all checked out fine. I was checking the two wire connector on the alternator for broken wires or just a bad connection.

To make a long story short....
I unplugged the connector and put in two small pieces of wire in each tab. One of the tabs had 12volts and the other nothing with the key in the on position. I started the engine with the connector off and still had the dash batery light. Then, SUCH AND IDIOT I dropped the plug and it grounded out both pins to the engine with the key in the on position. Crap! No sparks or anything but I check again, with just one pin inserted at a time, and no more 12 volts. I try to start and nothing. I plug it back into the alternator and nothing. Everything else works like normal that I can tell just doesn't engage the starter.

check with INPA and the EWS is on and it says Starter Disabled due to P/N. Checked all the fuses I figured might be connected to shorting that plug but all seems ok.

When I move the shift lever the lights on the dash do not follow the selector. I don't know if that is normal or possibly related due to the fault. How shorting the connector on the alternator would have anything to do with that?, I don't know.

Now I am dead in the water. I tried everything I can to look up wire diagrams but I cannot get that WDS program to run.

Please, anyone have any ideas?

Tim

I checked some more fuses but find nothing. I would like to know where that plug was getting 12v from and then also where the other wire goes. Again, I touched both together and then to ground so who knows what I fried. Grrrr. I put so much work into this X5 and was really enjoying using it, finally, as my daily driver.

The wires coming out of the alternator plug are solid blue and solid green.

Anyone know where I can find a wire diagram for the alternator circuit?

Sponsored Links