View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 06:05 PM

ants_oz is on a distinguished road
Okay, so "you believe" you can measure the difference. Do you KNOW this is fact? Are the stiffening plate bolts ACTUALLY stretch bolts, or do they undergo a metallurgical change which is NOT visible to the naked eye, or measurable by vernier calipers.

And yeah, I'm aware of some of these things having been a qualified mechanic for over 25 years. But as you said, "more powah to you bro".

FYI - vernier calipers are a decidedly unreliable way to measure the OD of a bolt, as the measuring face is very slim compared to the shaft of the bolt. It is notoriously easy to measure at an angle which is not totally perpendicular to the shaft of the bolt, resulting in a measurement which is imprecise. But I guess you knew all that. I guess you also measured the diameter of the bolt before you fitted it, and that the measurements were undertaken in similar atmospheric conditions, with the bolts at stable temperatures. All these things affecting your "3 digit accuracy". But again, guessing you knew all that...

Anthony

Sponsored Links