View Single Post
Old 04-11-2015, 01:27 PM

ard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thbmw View Post
ard, no. I recently bought it and have the service records from the original owner (meticulous dealer service history). My indy looked it over, and reflashed the trans adaptations for me, no codes. So I am going to take it in to him and want to provide some "guidance". (I also have an e53 4.8is with 140k and it has never had trans service - mechanic is on the side that says don't mess with them because failures seem to follow servicing the trans).

Thanks!

Simply because BMW mechanics never service the transmission, allowing issues to accrue (sludge, wear and breakdown contaminates)...then, when someone like you comes in and says 'transmission is doing weird things, change the fluid" the fluid change stirs up the sludge from years of neglect and issues are accentuated.

The time to change ATF is WELL BEFORE you have symptoms.

Mechanics that say "fluid changes cause problems" are (1) wrong, and (2) doing a disservice.

What one really should look at is "how often does a fluid change at 50k miles cause a transmission issue in an otherwise complaint-free trans" versus "how often do issues accelerate in a transmission with symptoms and ATF change intervals over 80k miles?"

Sponsored Links