View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 10:11 AM

Skyline is on a distinguished road
Problems with Adaptive Drive?

I have been getting a clunking from primarily the front suspension in my X5, although loudest from the left front, on occasion I hear the clunking from the right front and also in the rear.

The "Sport" button in my car seems to do nothing but light up, and give an indicator on the dash.

A complete mechanical component overhaul has been done in the front; new upper and lower control arms, thrust arms, and sway bar links; (but not struts or strut bushings)

When hooked to an Autologic, it says the Adaptive drive is OK. But it fails to initialize the suspension. When you go through the initialization process, the car does a wild little dance, with each corner rapidly rising up and dropping down. But the process fails out, after about 45 seconds of this. And when you look for faults, it tells you there are none. Two things to note about this process; the idle speed was in range at the start, (~830rpm) and seemed to stay in range. And most key perhaps, neither front or rear axle pressure ever exceeded 140bar. On most "bumps" it was more in the 120bar to 130bar range.

The Autologic says that the system should achieve a minimum of 150bar. I'm not sure if this was just because the routine could not complete, or whether the pump is not putting out enough. Or there is some blockage in the system, or air in the system. I did try this initialization quite a few times, as it is supposed to remove the air, to no avail.

Clearly, I have some sort of issue, but it is not one I want to "throw parts" at. ALL of the parts involved here are super expensive. (Pump, $1,100; Valve Block $969, Control Unit $570, Shocks $765 each etc...)

Anyone have any clues here? Are there common failure points?
2000 BMW 528i 5sp

Sponsored Links