View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 12:39 PM

Rookie48 is on a distinguished road
"Pending" P030X codes, occasional engine misfire

Hello all... appreciate any thoughts on this issue. I scanned Google with no specific results.

2003 E53 3.0i MT 100k miles

At highway speeds (runs fine at idle and below highway speeds) my X5 started with an "occasional" misfire situation. While cruising along at 75-80 MPH, typically at partial throttle as in coasting down a hill for 15-20 seconds, the SES lights goes on, stays lit (not blinking), and the engine runs as if it is down one cylinder. It will continue running rough as on 5 cylinders for up to 5 minutes, then start running fine again, and the SES light will go out! I stop and pull codes - NO CODES! After a few more daily drives without issue, I get to work today and checked codes again (just keep seeing if something gets thrown) and find codes P0301 through P0306 are all in a PENDING state. The X5 did not stumble or drop to 5 cylinders as in the past, but I was in traffic and it could have happened while I was decelerating. No SES light at all.

This issue started last weekend when driving through some serious rain and roadway ponding, possibly getting some engine electrical component wet. The truck as has been driven at full operating temp, and in a garage with a dehumidifier, and the weather has been nice and dry since.

Since the issue resurfaces occasionally, I'm at a loss as to what it might be. At first I thought coils, but now I'm thinking fuel pump (although I would assume that would be an issue more under engine load than partial throttle).

Anyone else every had this issue and diagnosed it correctly?

Sponsored Links