View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 12:50 AM

VancouverM is on a distinguished road
Language Menu Display Hacking

I posted in the other "code" thread, but since its locked...I've been messing around with the navboot file trying to replace the non-english menu items on the nav dosplay with english. Why? There are currently people who like the British Babe voice and others who like the North American (USA) voice.

My thinking was: replace the German voice files with USA voice files (as the standard for European units seem to be to have German, British, and French) so people with European Nav units could simply switch between the British and American voice. Similarly, replace the Spanish voice files with British voice files as North American nav units seem to have American, Spanish and French.

The only "problem" is all the menu items are still in the original language- German in the case of the first example. Opening the navboot file in a hex editor and searching for 4D AD 00 02 as the module start header, I was able to replace the German language module with a copy of the USA language module. (I have a European unit) I did not edit the module itself or any other menu modules, so there was no need to recalculate the CRC24. Success! I was able to select "D" from the language menu and the text remained in English. The only idiosyncrasy in the software seemed to be the country selection was "Kanada" and "?????(United States in German)" but this was obviously read off the nav DVD and isn't a function of the s/w. The other issue was the display in the instument cluster which was in the original language.

Any ideas on how to override that, as it will also affect voice control too?

Sponsored Links