View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 06:22 PM

cn90 is on a distinguished road
I still find it hard to believe the oil pan gasket leaks at 120K, I may be wrong though.

1- Re OFH Gasket:
* Make sure you used BMW dealer gasket. Aftermarket gasket (Elring) is known to leak.
* Even with BMW gasket: make sure you torque bolts #1-#4 properly. There is a sequence that I posted ion bimmerfest E39 forum. Some people may not be aware of this sequence and leak develops later.
* The spot you mentioned (driver side oil pan gasket) is exactly where the OFH gasket leak initially ends up, then it drips down the pass side, simply b/c the engine is tilted with pass side lower.

2- The Oil Pan Gasket, the link to the "cut and paste with RTV" is posted above in my thread above this. Take your time to read through it. It is already challenging in the E39, it is even worse in the E53 b/c of the axle running through it. This is why I suggest that you thoroughly review the OFH Gasket issue first.

OTOH, a bit of leak here and there...you may want to live with it until it is really bad, then spend 10h fixing the oil pan gasket.

Please post a follow-up.

Sponsored Links