View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 12:27 PM

ady is on a distinguished road
Hello WolfX5,
I need your help! I'm in similar situation of installing a video interface by SoundGate to my ride. The module I have bought is 'VIDUNIVV4' and my car is E66 (745, 2003).
The interface unit looks of high quality but I think the instructions aren't correct, as you pointed out as well. The instructions for VIDBMW1V4 and VIDUNIVV4 are exactly the same specially the wiring diagrams...
I'm gonna try installing it once again following your instructions but I'm bit confused.
In your guidelines you are supplying +12V to blue wire (handbrake interlock) and ground to grey wire (activate V1) whereas the manual as well as the small tags attached to the wires clearly states the opposite (+12 to grey & ground to blue) which I did try but the device seems like it keeps rebooting, my screen flickers, shows a poor quality image of the attached video source and then switches back to navigation display and this keeps going on...
I plan on trying your way but I'm little afraid this may blow the circuit! how did you figure out what to supply to these wires and what were you getting while following the instructions as is...

I received the following manual with the device:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pdf/s.../vidunivv4.pdf

Looking forward to your response...
Thanks & Regards
Adnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfX5 View Post
BassX - thumbs up on the install .

I did a trial installation last evening and the Soundgate VIDBMW1 unit worked like a charm. I say "trial" installation because I have not yet determined where my final switches and wires will be run. My only purpose was to install the unit, give it power and a video signal and see if the signal would display properly on the Nav Screen (in map mode). I watched about 5 minutes of "2001 a space odyssey" much to my pleasure. And at $350 it's a lot cheaper than other video alternatives like TVONNAV. Of course it has no tuner like TVONNAV, but if you just need to connect an alternate video source this is a good product.

I'm plan on doing an article with pictures on this soon, but here's just a few thoughts.

1. The manual sucks (no surprise there)! There are really 2 parts to the install - the first being to give the unit basic power and the second being to give the unit "trigger" signals to tell it when to switch video modes.

The install is straightforward and is almost exactly like the TVONNAV install. On the back of your navigation cdrom (I have a 2002 4.4i with MKIII) you have 3 connectors (1 antennae, 1 purple connector, 1 blue connector). Simply disconnect the blue connector from the back of the cdrom and connect the identical connector that comes with the VIDBMW1 harness. Now plug the blue cable that was originally on the back of the cdrom drive into the female end of the VIDBMW1 harness. Now attach the thick white connector and the small white connector (with the black wire attached) to the back of the VIDBMW1 unit. Give the unit +12V to the red wire and ground to the black wire and the basic installation is done (part 1). My source for +12V and ground is a split from the 2 large wires that connect to the rear-seat lifting motors. I like this source because its a) dedicated to the lifter motors and doesn't touch other more sensitive electronic subsystems in the car and b) is fused at high amperage and provides a tremendous amount of excess power for what is essentially a little used feature on most peoples X5's.

Part 2 is no more complex, but you have a bit of artistic license here. Depending on how many video sources you have and how you want them to operate will determine how you hook up the 3 remaining wires (a blue/grey pair and the black wire from the small white connector). The blue/grey pair drive video 1 and the black ground wire drives video 2.

For my test I connected the blue wire to the same +12V connector I attached the red wire above and I attached the grey wire to the same ground as the black wire above. Flip dip switch #2 on the VIDBMW1 to "on" and connect the video signal. Start the vehicle and select GPS/Navigation and display the map. At this point you should be seeing your video source instead of the map.

To toggle the video signal between map and video signal all you need to do is insert a single-pole toggle switch between the blue wire of the VIDBMW1 unit and the +12V power source. If this sounds complex its really pretty straightforward. In reality you probably do NOT want to hardwire video1 this way because video 1 is really designed for use with a backup camera and video 2 is designed to be the alternate video source, but I plan on doing a more elaborate multi-source installation and a hardwired (remote switchable) video 1 will be my primary method for hookup. Also, depending on your level of obedience to the law you may want to connect the wires to enable video interlocking with the parking brake as the manual suggests.

Of course the VIDBMW1 is only for video use, as there is no mechanism for routing audio. You can use your current IPODonBMW, Aux, FM Modulator, or Cassette adaptor (if you had to) to take care of the audio.

Hope that helps, like I said I'll probably do an article with pictures next week. Let me know if you have any questions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links