View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 01:59 PM
.1 decrease 0-60 time = $1000 & DIY

bcredliner is on a distinguished road
I've considered options that might increase the airflow into the Dinan CAI for years. I've never done any modification. The reasons being that too often logic when dealing with airflow does not apply, much improvement with airflow in benefit needs to be combined with improvements to the rest of the air in/out and fuel in components and unless it is forced air such as with a turbo, supercharger or nitrous there is insignificant gain in torque at any RPM and very little HP improvement even at high speeds.

I know that Dinan spends a lot of time and money on R&D. My guess if connecting to the factory air inlet was beneficial they would have done so. One of the reasons Dinan may not have done so is that they found there is more air getting in from the full frontal approach than limiting it to the air inlet.

I have stayed with the Dinan oiled filter and clean it more often than necessary. The downside is that I have to be very careful in the re-oilng process as too much oil will cause the MAF to fail. The filter that came with the system did that--Dinan paid for the new MAF.

On the other hand, who knows, you may achieve noticeable gains and it certainly looks like you are having fun. If it works I think you might want to consider something to cover it except when you really need the additional air, especially when it rains or snows. If the filter gets soaked a Prius will leave you in the dust.

Sponsored Links